Who owns land/yard?

MissJessica

Visit site
How does it work when it isn't in your garden?
It seems if you can't afford an equestrian property this is another option, to purchase land or even a tiny yard if possible.
Who does it?
What are the good and bad points?

millikins

Visit site
I've just been able to but the paddock and 3 stables I've been renting for 6 years. Only 3/4 mile from home so easy if any problems, e.g. heavy snow. Only issues I have are we get more than our fair share of fly tipping in the gateway and if I ever did want to move I'd have to market and find buyers for 2 properties.

Booboos

Visit site
You'd have to find somewhere reasonably close as you would need to check on the horses at least twice a day. If you buy land don't assume you'd be allowed to put stables up. If you do get planning permission you might also have to factor in costs for bringing water and electricity to the site.

MissJessica

Visit site
Yes, would factor electricity, water, commute & cost of repairs etc. just wondering how people find it.

Great point re marketing two properties if circumstances change.
And also good point re fly tipping to ask as to whether it happens if land/yard is for sale. Thank you both.

JillA

Visit site
And bear in mind the possibility that your council might decide to charge you rates on any buildings (there is a thread on it).
I bought mine 18 years ago, didn't want 13 acres but parcels of land were few and far between round here. While I was working it meant I could only visit once a day, so horses couldn't be stabled except very briefly but they were fine and I took in a few "paying guests" to help with costs. It can be lonely being your own landlord and tenant and there aren't any others to bounce ideas off, or sometimes hack out with, or share the load - depends on your friends and family, whether you have an OH and they are helpful and interested.
Wouldn't have it any other way though, having once been given a couple of weeks notice on rented land to find somewhere else for 4 horses - that was a lot of sleepless nights and running around chasing leads. It has also meant that if and when I was able to I could improve the land/buildings/fencing knowing I would always get the benefit.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Security. Stuff and horses going missing (with outside help) and fencing damage. Beware with and trees falling, compromising the boundary. Small fields need managing well, and can be done by hand. Larger areas need contractor-management.

Cocorules

Visit site
I bought 4 acres with field shelters which turn into shelters with brilliant out riding. It has water but no electric. It is about 3 miles from where I live. I did live about 6 miles away when I first bought it.

I love not being on diy livery and being able to do it my way. The relief of being able to have them out 24/7 with proper shelter with great riding was immense. It would be better living next to them but I could never afford that.

The downsides are:

- security so have to take tack up each time. However we have had no problems on that score ao far.

- travel time but no worse than being on livery

- cost of buying and maintaining

- time spent maintaining

It is so worth it though!

MissJessica

Visit site
Thank you guys all fantastic points you're making.
Re rates I hadn't even thought of council tax!!! I'd covered water/electric how I'd get it etc but not rates. Thank you

Suelin

Visit site
My yard is half a mile from my house. The biggest worry has been security over the years. Factor in cost of security system. Good wireless systems are available now. You do spend a lot of time doing maintenance etc but I much prefer it to having the horses at livery.

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
We've had our land for about ten years now, it's 1.1 miles from home. Five acres, barns, stables etc etc, we did used to rely on water from the roofs but now have a bore hole. We were quoted £30,000 for electric! so use a generator, solar panels and LED lights. Honestly it is bliss, I love not sharing it with anyone else apart from OH of course. You can manage things just the way you want, for instance we currently have three paddocks, but I'm about to have two divided into four and put a track system around them. We've down a fair few upgrades to it over the years, and have just rebuilt all stables and the feed room and dog kennel and laid concrete for the lot, did it all ourselves hard work but rewarding.

Re selling two properties, personally I would ask the agent to market them together. There will be plenty of people who couldn't afford a house with land attached but who would consider them separately.

MissJessica

Visit site
Spot the risk - you describe it exactly as I imagine it to be. Not easy but rewarding & bliss at being in control

Re security I wouldn't keep tack at the yard but would keep saddle pads, boots, yard equipment.
The most expensive thing would be my trailer but it's insured & at a yard anyway now so not a lot different.

CazD

Visit site
We did this. There was no way we could afford a property with land so once we found a parcel of land for sale we looked to see what houses were available locally. The land was up for sale for sealed bids so we bid well over the asking price (but only just above the next highest bid apparently) and then made an offer on a house about half a mile away.
The downsides are the amount of maintenance that has to be done and having no-one to look after the horses if we go away But the benefits are huge!