Who owns/uses a VAN to tow their trailer?

cp1980

Visit site
Who here uses a van to tow their horse around? In some ways they could be more practical than a 4x4 (at least in terms of load carrying/providing somewhere to sleep.

Did some research on the internet, and found that the German police use them for their mounted force:

[image]www.polizeiautos.de/pics/NSReiteranhMS.jpg[/image]

[image]www.polizeiautos.de/pics/NSReiterT4MS.jpg[/image]

[image]www.polizeiautos.de/pics/saark010.jpg[/image]

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
One of the liveries has a van. It's great, as he's a builder so he uses it for his day job then comes to the yard, opens up the back and has a gas hob, deck chairs, saddle racks etc in it. He uses it for towing no problem. I think the only prob would be as they only have 3 seats.

cp1980

Visit site
VWwith_horse_trailer.gif

Horseboxes001.jpg

NSReiteranhMS.jpg

saark010.jpg

NSReiterT4MS.jpg

Got a bit carried away on google images

Reashi

Visit site
We do! And my dad converted the back so that it has a gas hob, sink, fridge, loads of cupboards, saddle racks, and it sleeps 4. It tows beautifully.

LucyDT

Visit site
We've just ordered a VW Transporter Kombi Van (it has a 'back seat' so will take 5 people). My hubby will use it for work and I get to sell my 4x4 which costs alot to run with the mileage I do! Hopefully this will be a practical solution for us - although as we haven't got it yet I can't say for sure. It has the same towing capacity as my Nissan Terrano - but alot of vans have a suprisingly low towing capacity so that would be something to look out for.

cp1980

Visit site
Towing limits do vary enourmously, even within model ranges.

I think most VW T4 Transporters (like the one's with the chestnut police horses above) built between 1991 and 2004ish can tow 2000 kg, Ford Transits built before 2000 vary between 1200 kg for small ones, through to 2000kg. Transits built after 2000 can tow up as much as 2500kg. Mercedes Sprinters can tow upto 2800kg.