Who remembers Smokey? He's changed a bit...

Lolo

Visit site
It was September when I last did a Smokey update and I thought you might like another :D

For those who don't know about him, he's a proper little HHO horse- bexcy_bee bought him in a real state when he was 5 and over three years turned him into a really happy, confident little horse rather than the rodeo king she tried out! In 2013 she posted a thread on here and from that I saw him and linked it to my sister, who ended up buying him less than a week later!

So fast forwards 9 months and he's have a very busy winter. Al was lucky enough to be offered a WP placement at a top pro's yard, and Smokes went along for the ride. They had several lessons a week and he thrived on the yard. The placement finished in January so they're now back in Norfolk and Smokes has turned into a proper eventing pony :D

He's been XC schooling...
1488240_10202845998458110_1918463824_n.jpg

And his flatwork has come on amazingly...
1555564_10203060152851836_1266158586_n.jpg

(stretchy work to encourage him to relax and take the contact)

1510878_10203060148131718_1411648227_n.jpg

69071_10203060150571779_411373311_n.jpg

And some posh pony work too!

He did a dressage competition and came 2nd in a prelim with 68% (on collectives, with 3rd on 63%!), which everyone was very pleased with. Especially as Al was very cross with how she rode for it!

He's been jumping like a little pro, started off with an 85cm clear round at the local BS centre, and is now happily doing 90cm.
[youtube]CWKnDK83e20[/youtube]

Last weekend he did his 2nd ever XC round, round a 90cm eventer trial. He had a very green stop in the SJ section, but Al reminded him he was actually far too clever for that and he jumped the rest really nicely, and then stormed round the BE90 XC course :)
[youtube]HSUvOQrQ-PI[/youtube]

And finally, yesterday was his second ODE. It was a 90cm class, and it was a proper challenge for him- it used the BE90 course from the last event of the season, so whilst it was all very fair and beautifully presented, not a first time run! He did a lovely dressage, but it was a bit tense from a not-ideal warm up. It scored 40, which was disappointing but still left him 12th so at least the judge was strict across the board! He then did a lovely clear round for the SJ, showing off how very clever he was about all the technical bits. And then stormed the XC like an old pro!! Honestly, he is a superstar of a horse and Al is so proud of him :)

[youtube]YPeJgskUqb4[/youtube]
The last fences of the course.

So that's what Smokes has been up to over the past few months- he's been a very busy bee!

68448_10203060153531853_1554818745_n.jpg

1622617_10203060155251896_235364627_n.jpg

He's very much loved by all of us, and Al can't stop smiling when she rides him.

Although Reg does like to wind him up in the field!
61496_10203060159932013_459668800_n.jpg

16601_10203060160492027_892373340_n.jpg

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
So lovely to him he has changed so much! I remember Bb's thread very well. Thanks so much for posting a update!! X

Tobiano

Visit site
such a lovely update. Where are they in Norfolk? Let us know if they are competing some time as I'd love to see them in action :D

Lolo

Visit site
He is rather fab - just my sort. He reminds me a little bit of my boy :)

He is rather perfect (in his own opinion at least!)- pocket rocket ponies are definitely the most fun :D Reg disagrees somewhat though!

Aw - lovely Smokey - as I said in your comp thread he's looking fab! (Without checking, I may not have said 'fab', but I said something good. :) )

Thank you :)

So nice to have an update - love him :D

Thought one may be well overdue, he's a proper little HHO horse and people might be interested in his many adventures!

Lolo

Visit site
Can't believe how well he is looking!!!!

Also being nosey why is she wearing bandages?

At the yard she worked at, almost everyone wore exercise bandages as they're warmer and more comfortable than chaps or gaiters, prevent your nice boots from wearing out quickly and save your funky socks from saddle rubs :D And you get very quick at bandaging too!

He's chunked out so much, he takes up Al's leg far better and is generally rather cute with it!

Cracking post I remember seeing the video of his early behaviour it's really nice to see how well he is doing.

He still cracks out the acrobatics out hacking at times, especially now the grass is coming through and the sun is shining and he's feeling very well! But he is so much fun, and when he's asked to behave and focus he does try to!

So lovely to him he has changed so much! I remember Bb's thread very well. Thanks so much for posting a update!! X

Thank you :) We wish he'd stop greying out quite so much, he's becoming a terribly impractical colour :D

Lolo

Visit site
Looking very much more mature .
Always loved this one .

:) He looks like a pony still, but a proper eventing one at least we hope :D Thank you.

I like that Al is wearing the exercise bandages, it's a good look :)

She's down with the kids ;) :D

well done to all involved in his journey so far, he certainly has turned into a cracking little horse :D

It's lyucky that b_b took the punt on him all those years ago as he really could have ended up in the wrong hands. But he does have a knack for always landing on his feet it seems!

Lolo

Visit site
Smokey and Al just look wonderful together! Great partnership :)

Thank you :)

such a lovely update. Where are they in Norfolk? Let us know if they are competing some time as I'd love to see them in action :D

We're central, and tend to stick to either Carousel stuff for local events with the occasional foray to Easton College. But through the summer we're everywhere as she goes where ODEs are! Blackwater is the next thing though, he's doing his first BE event :)

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Yes, he was very iron grey wasn't he at first? A real dark colour. I didn't think he'd grey out so fast either! Still, very handsome!

redmone

Visit site
An absolute favourite of mine Smokey!!

Well done with him, he's lovely and very talented as is your Al!

:) xxx

Lolo

Visit site
Yes, he was very iron grey wasn't he at first? A real dark colour. I didn't think he'd grey out so fast either! Still, very handsome!

Yep! He was very dark when we got him, and he looks like he might be fairly white before next year... Upsetting really, although he doesn't tremendously like getting muddy so hopefully he won't need too many baths!

An absolute favourite of mine Smokey!!

Well done with him, he's lovely and very talented as is your Al!

:) xxx

Aw, thank you- think it's in the name :D