who rode when they were pregnant?

Enfys

Visit site
Kind of a follow on to the 'child on the chest' post.

How long into your pregnancy did you ride?

Did you ever come off?

In hindsight would you do the same ?

Limbo1

Visit site
I rode till 6 months with first child and 4 mths with second, just listened to my body and stopped when too uncomfortable.

Bav

Visit site
I rode until I was 30 weeks, I also fell off at 11 weeks. I wouldn't do it again, but only because my new horse is a bit fizzier then my old boy. But if I had a safe plod along again then I wouldn't hesitate, keeping active definitely helped before and after and I was back in the saddle less then two weeks after popping bubba out.

JLD

Visit site
Kind of a follow on to the 'child on the chest' post.

How long into your pregnancy did you ride?

Did you ever come off?

In hindsight would you do the same ?

I rode with my first pregnancy until about 6 months when I found it uncomfortable to get off, I think I even did some low level dressage till about 5 months. I didn't jump though. Second time round I stopped at 6 weeks as it was twins and it just didn't feel right possibly because I had a 2 year old as well who I had to look after.

Fools Motto

Visit site
I rode til about 7 months with number 1, including going eventing until 4 months. I stopped jumping at 6 months. Was tiny, felt fine.
Again rode with number 2, but only until 4 months when I took the winter off! Again tiny, and felt fine.
I didn't fall off luckily, and (no excuses but) the horses I rode were very polite.

rowan666

Visit site
I rode pretty much all the way through my first pregnancy till my bump physically stopped it being comfortable but only Rowan the pony I had from being about 12yrs old and litterally did trust with mine and my child's life (she was also the pony my son first learnt to ride on as soon as could sit in the saddle!) she was truely the safest pony I've ever known and the only one I rode during pregnancy, I/my family had several others that I did give up riding after about 8 weeks of finding out I was pregnant. With my second child i didnt ride after about 12wks, midwife said it would be safe till that point (somthing about posistion in uterus and size or something along those lines?)then I stopped as i didnt have one i trusted enough

Last edited:

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
I rode till around 4 months when I had to stop due to hip problems (my ligaments got too stretchy!). I intended to ride all through my pregnancy. I took him to an in-hand show at 6 months, I did regret that after the trot up! I would do the same again and ride whilst my body was happy with it, I also feel it really helped to keep active. I have a very sensible cob and we don't really jump. Touch wood I have only fallen on him once in 7 years of ownership, and that was when he tripped over at a gallop.

Clare85

Visit site
I stopped riding whilst pregnant. I was extremely sick for the first 14 weeks or so of both pregnancies and couldn't be more than a couple of meters away from a loo at any one time so riding was totally out of the question. After that I decided a break was best rather than trying to get my riding fitness back again.

wills_91

Visit site
I didn't ride, my mare had just turned 4 when I fell pregnant & I suffered severe sickness so strength not at its best. Each to there own I suppose

indiat

Visit site
I rode until I was eight months with my first and not at all with my second as I had SPD and riding was agony. I did make some compromises, I didn't jump and I didn't go out on the road and my horse was a very safe ride. The GO who confirmed my pregnancy (I didn't think I would believe it unless a doctor confirmed it! :D) said to me, "Don't do anything daft like take up horse riding," as a joke When I told her I had a horse, she said, "Go out and ride but don't be silly. You could lose this baby sitting in an armchair so live your life. And not enough pregnant women exercise." So there's a medical perspective on riding when pregnant!

Farma

Visit site
I am 28 weeks and stopped riding fairly early on as I was so sick mainly and trying to do anything made me puke!
my other half was very set against me riding at all I have to say at this point there is no way I would get on a horse ...just doesn't seem worth the risk to me? It's not that long to wait although I miss it terribly!

Pc2003

Visit site
Early days I did and fell off. From about 8 weeks on in both pg I had awful hypermesis so couldn't ride let alone get out of hospital bed. I would have tho if I could have

elsielouise

Visit site
I hacked walk, trot, canter til about six months then fell whilst getting on when my mounting block broke. I remember lying on the floor as my mare carefully stepped over me. Hung up my boots after that til after the birth.

minesadouble

Visit site
Rode all the way through my first one, second child I rode far less regularly but last ride at about 36 weeks - getting off was the biggest issue, I used to ride up to the muck heap (in case of disaster) and do the leg over neck dismount but it didn't feel terribly safe! Didn't ride at all with the third as I had no suitable horse and little inclination by then.

shadowboy

Visit site
I rode until 22 weeks. Did a fun ride at 18 weeks including jumping. I only stopped because I struggled to get off and needed a wee every time we did more than walk!

Jingleballs

Visit site
Rode until 5 1/2 months then had a freak fall on the road off my sensible cob so partner said no more.

Not sure if I'd ride if pregnant again - in my head I think yes but not sure I would if it came to it as my experience shows even with a safe horse there is a risk.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Up to 32weeks with 1st (stopped as I gave myself a bit of a scare riding a bit hard and having braxton hicks) and 28 wks with 2nd, it got too uncomfortable with 2nd as he seemed to be much lower.

Nudibranch

Visit site
I stopped at 6 weeks due to being hospitalised (not horse related). Am now 22 weeks and no way could I manage even if I wanted to! Anyway, it's 9 months out of a lifetime, and when you've lost one you get a different perspective on risk. Not worth it imo.

Llanali

Visit site
I rode to 39 weeks. I was very fortunate to hAve the right horse and an enjoyable pregnancy.

I stopped jumping about 18 weeks, but did dressage until 31 weeks/ 7 months. After that mainly hacking and schooling at home. It was high summer and I got too hot to school much!!

gingernut81

Visit site
I rode up until 20 weeks, once a week for about half an hour in the school. Stopped hacking out at about 6 weeks as I was too worried about "what ifs"! (I moved my boy to a friend's yard who looked after for me until I found a sharer.

Edited to say: I would have ridden longer but my bump dictated that I stop as I was huge.... I struggled to get on let along off at that point!!

Newlands

Visit site
I rode through both pregnancies, I had owned my horse for 10+ years at this point (I know no horse is bomb proof, but I know him very very well). I didn't ride my youngster through one. I did fall off at about 10 weeks with my daughter. It was easier to ride during first pregnancy as no other baby to look after. My last ride was when I hacked out found a fiver on the floor and couldn't get off and back on to get it. Each to their own, it did help with stress relief and was lovely doing something and not feeling pregnant.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Rode until 32 weeks, but by then my horse was becoming an idiot and I think I switched to long reining (I was in the middle of rehab!) The baby bump added extra ballast I think to help keep him on the floor, he was a beggar!

I'm not sure I would again though, would have to see - next time around I'm more aware of how much there is to lose.

minkymoo

Visit site
I rode until 7 1/2 months with first and felt fine, I stopped because I was too large (fat!) to do my girth up!! Stopped much earlier with this pregnancy as I was so much more uncomfortable. I was aiming to stop at 5 months but barely made it to 4.

I am on the understanding that your 2nd pregnancy is often more uncomfortable 2nd time around due to being, well, second hand and therefore all pre-stretched!

Neither reasons for stopping were horse related. I am very lucky that both times horses were foot perfect, even though my current horse was 4 (my last ride was on his 5th birthday!)

Stockers

Visit site
Rode to 5.5 months only stopped as carried high and infront and getting off became impossible. Never fell off, did stop jumping as soon as found out though.

stilltrying

Visit site
I'm currently 20 weeks and still riding one of mine. The big boy (who has a tendency to be a tit and fall over) has now been turned away, but my little mare i'm still riding, as although she is only 5, she's just got more sense of self preservation. She is also about to (sadly) go up for sale, so i need to keep her ticking along. I went on a jump clinic this weekend and for the first time felt a bit uncomfortable. Baby is currently very low and causing pressure where you dont really need it when riding. So once she is sold I'll be having time off. If i were in a position to keep her i'd carry on with light duties right up until i didn't feel comfortable to do so. : )