Who should buy jumps ? Owner or livery yard?

niagaraduval

Visit site
Hi all,

I have a livery that wants to jump, I have agreed to let her jump in my large field when it's empty (pretty much all the time as only use it for hay and horses go out on it at the end of the year) and have said that she can leave them on site under shelter so out of rain etc.

By the way she is talking she makes it sound as though I should be buying the jumps ?

I charge 10 euros a week full livery (horses are out and no feed needed) in the summer and 25E a week full livery in the winter, I make no money at all, I just like having company and love looking after horses (I look after all the horses), so they essentially just pay for feed and bedding.

Should I be buying jumps ?

I am looking into it and they are very pricey, I've found this set on ebay :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Pairs-S...t=UK_Horse_Wear_Equipment&hash=item4d1e3ab020

They are cheap and cheerful and I will buy them and find some poles if that's what's needed but in a way I think maybe it's up to her to buy the jumps ? None of the other horses jump as they are all retired (except mine and he no longer jumps). On the other hand if I did buy the jumps I could possibly add this to my livery offer ? (if they were all painted up nice).

be positive

Visit site
I provide jumps with a few additions over the years by liveries but I use them, I certainly would not be providing them for one livery who may break them not replace etc, however much you put on extra with the rates you charge it will be a long while before they pay for themselves, if you are thinking of taking on more liveries than it may be attractive to have some jumps they can use, which if your livery buys them you cannot offer.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Hi all,

I have a livery that wants to jump, I have agreed to let her jump in my large field when it's empty (pretty much all the time as only use it for hay and horses go out on it at the end of the year) and have said that she can leave them on site under shelter so out of rain etc.

By the way she is talking she makes it sound as though I should be buying the jumps ?

I charge 10 euros a week full livery (horses are out and no feed needed) in the summer and 25E a week full livery in the winter, I make no money at all, I just like having company and love looking after horses (I look after all the horses), so they essentially just pay for feed and bedding.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Pairs-S...t=UK_Horse_Wear_Equipment&hash=item4d1e3ab020

They are cheap and cheerful and I will buy them and find some poles if that's what's needed but in a way I think maybe it's up to her to buy the jumps ? None of the other horses jump as they are all retired (except mine and he no longer jumps). On the other hand if I did buy the jumps I could possibly add this to my livery offer ? (if they were all painted up nice).

Erhhhh - no i think you are very kind in offering her storage and somewhere to use the jumps
but its a big no to buying the jumps for her - she may only stay a few weeks and then you would be signifiantly out of pocket.
She will want a horse box next, followed by a horse walker and wash box.......

seriously dont let yourself be taken advantage of !

Tnavas

Visit site
As she is the only one jumping then it's up to her to provide her own jumps and maybe for you to give her an area where she can store them when not in use.

If you had been a large place with a varied clientele and higher prices then possibly yes you might supply some basic jumps.

I graze my horse at someone else's farm and certainly wouldn't expect them to buy jumps for me.

stormyhorse

Visit site
I am at a relatively cheap DIY livery yard. No facilities so in the summer I ride in my field and have bought my own jumps to go in the field. I let other liveries use them if they ask me. I wouldn't expect my yard owner to buy them but that's just my opinion being based on such a small basic yard.

abracadabra

Visit site
Either or.

I've been at yards where the jumps had been bought by the yard for the use of all liveries.

I've also been at a yard where a livery bought the jumps but that was it, they were for the use of that livery.

If you do buy them, I'd let it be known that you will be putting your livery prices up and they would be an additional yard facility. Or she could buy them herself and they would be hers alone.

(Id still put my prices up though, wow, sounds like you're paying the owners for the pleasure of looking after them at those prices).

tinap

Visit site
We have jumps at our yard provided by the yo & I also brought my own with me when I moved here & let anyone use them. However they are all now a bit knackered so I'm buying some new ones myself. There's only really my daughter that does serious, regular jumping so I wouldn't expect the yo to buy some more. I will tell everyone they can use the new ones though, but if they break them they mend/replace them x

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I wouldn't expect the yard to supply them. Liveries have always clubbed together and purchased them.

monkeybum13

Visit site
If the livery want to jump on a yard that doesn't already have jumps then said livery should provide the jumps, it is her that wants to use them!

I have my own sets of jumps (that I let everyone use), the yard itself also has some jumps but I wouldn't expect the YO to buy jumps just because I wanted to jump!

Spring Feather

Visit site
I had a fabulous set of show jumps at my yard in England which stupidly I didn't bring with me when I moved overseas. I assumed jumps would be less expensive than they actually are in this country. In the beginning one of my liveries wanted show jumps and she made her own and they were available for anyone on this farm to use. Later that same year I did order a full set of jumps which I paid for. Not everyone on my farm does showjumping however they are there for use and the arena looks good with them all set up when new liveries come along to view. I have a large amount of liveries though so it's worth it to me to have them. I also have many other things for use in the arena for the others who are western riders.

In your position OP, I think it would be reasonable for her to buy a couple of her own jumps, but in my experience it is also good to have them there for future liveries so the choice is ultimately yours.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
My YO already had a set of basic jumps and a few fillers when I moved there, but because she SJs and events so bought for herself anyway. We (liveries) can use them.

In the OP's case, if no one else jumps and YO never wants to use them then I think livery should buy her own. Depends if OP thinks she will have other liveries they might be a selling point for?

pip6

Visit site
Consider it from point of control. If you want to be able to stop them at some points in the year it would be easier to do so if you own the jumps (your jumps, your field). Otherwise, she should buy them. You shouldn't have to subsidise each liveries wish to participate in a certain horse sport sphere. Will you build an arena if one decides they want to do dressage? A xc course? I know it's taking the point to the extreme, but the facility wasn't there as part of the livery contract when they moved in, so if they want it they should buy it. Also means if they damage if they wont be damaging your equipment. If they own it they may well care for it better, putting it under cover when not in use, not left lying about on ground.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Hi all,

At my yard I buy the jumps, I feel its a facility for my liveries to use, any breakage must be replaced or repaired by whom broke it. I have in the past had liveries who wanted to purchase some jumps to give us more. She could either take them with her when she left or sell to me. She took with her, I am currently selling my wooden jumps for polyjumps I also rent my 2 show jumping fields which has a large course and a smaller one. This is rented out to anyone and the proceeds goes into more jumps.

I would think you decide if you want jumps as a facility to add to what you offer, or she buys them and takes with her as she leaves (if)

Each course at the moment has 7 jumps set up as a course for any 1 to hire

This is our newest poly jump

[
20140523_1626511_zps67ecaab3.jpg

If you own or run the yard I think its a nice addition and you could rent them out to make back money in aid of buying more, round here no one else has courses set up, all yards the jumps have to be put away after.

Last edited:

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
To add we also have addtional jumps - blocks poles in each or our schools, so none of the pro range are used in the school

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
If the livery choose to go to a yard without jumps, then she shouldn't expect jumps to be supplied, just as you wouldn't expect a XC course just because you like XC.

On yards where jumps aren't provided, the liveries usually buy their own.

LittleMonster

Visit site
Haven't read the whole thread.

But the Pony i loan the yard liveries bought the jumps between them not the owner.

However i think that if you offer jumps in your yard description the YO should provide also i have noticed when liveries have an argument with fellow liveries it gets a bit heated on who can use them ect...

So i think YO should purchase to stop all the drama from ever surfacing.

chocolategirl

Visit site
Erhhhh - no i think you are very kind in offering her storage and somewhere to use the jumps
but its a big no to buying the jumps for her - she may only stay a few weeks and then you would be signifiantly out of pocket.
She will want a horse box next, followed by a horse walker and wash box.......

seriously dont let yourself be taken advantage of !
Absolutely this!!!

smellsofhorse

Visit site
Horse owner should buy jumps, you should not feel pressured into buying them.

If you feel Likr buying them just remember they will get worn and broken ans you won't get any pleasure out of them!

Luce85

Visit site
When i used to be on a livery, the yard provided some basic ones but then i got some new ones for my birthday which i allowed everyone to use, but when i moved i took them with me, which caused an argument with the yard owner!

xfeex

Visit site
We have bought/made a full set of jumps, do the liveries offer to replace them if they break them...Not very often! If they don't help move them round etc. we don't let them use them.

Dizzle

Visit site
Blimey, it would be cheaper with me to keep my horse with you in France and travel over I think! Room for a little one?

All the yards I have been at have provided jumps, if they didn't have jumps I would have bought my own, especially if it was a small yard where only I would use them. It's not difficult for her to buy and paint a few poles and rest them on some chairs or something!

niagaraduval

Visit site
Blimey, it would be cheaper with me to keep my horse with you in France and travel over I think! Room for a little one?

All the yards I have been at have provided jumps, if they didn't have jumps I would have bought my own, especially if it was a small yard where only I would use them. It's not difficult for her to buy and paint a few poles and rest them on some chairs or something!

Sadly no room left in the inn ! I only charge that amount as my stables at the moment aren't the nicest looking (very old fashioned brick ones with a wooden half door) all the fencing is electric about a meter inside of barbed wire (and I know people want post and rail) and I have no school (fab hacking though!) so I just have oldies who are looking for cheap place to stay with excellent hay and care. I care for each and every one as if it were mine.

That's done then - Won't be buying jumps ! Glad I don't sound unreasonable. If other people were using (and paying more!!) them I would buy them myself.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
niagaraduval you sound like a really nice person who is looking after clients horses for no money at all. To be honest I can't see how you would cover your costs let along actually make some money?

For what your clients are paying you certainly shouldn't provide jumps. My horses jump & I make the wings & fillers for them to use. I wouldn't dream of asking the YO to provide them. You are not being unreasonable but your livery mauy be trying to take advantage of your good nature? :)