Who wants to come hunting? helmet-cam boxing day and xmas eve!

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
Wow what a hectic few days ! But amazing fun. We planned to hunt Christmas eve and boxing day but didn't want to take the same horses to both meets as my sister's pony wasn't fit enough for the two, so we decided we'd take out the 4 year old and 5 year old connies on their first ever hunt meet! I've only owned my 4 year old for a few weeks and the 5 year not very long, plus they hadn't been ridden in a few days... but we got them all clean and plaited ready to go, just hoping it well well! As it turned out they were perfectly behaved, very sensible and loved every minute :) jumped some big ditches and post and rails! Didn't get all the jumps on camera as I had a big blob of water on my lens for some time, really couldn't be happier with them. Here is the link to the helmet-cam video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzqlAL2XeZA

I am on the 4 year old and my sister on the 5 year old, we were absolutely plastered in mud by the time we got home :D

So Christmas day was spent getting the next two ready and as our winter fields need re-fencing (that's the job for next week) they have been living out at night in a field full of muddy puddles... we kept the connies in for Christmas eve as they are used to being in at times, but Finn and Summer always live out and have never hunted after a night being in! But there was no way I was washing legs and tails and plaits in the morning, so we left them in. In the morning I saw my aunt had fed Finn a big scoop of high energy mix, and then I remembered he hadn't been ridden in nearly a week ! So the lack of brakes was to be expected :D

We were in for some good entertainment as the sabs were in the square , trampling all over a war memorial to protest... they were rather ripped to shreds though by the supporters! We rode through the square as usual and headed out in the fields, jumped a few post and rail and then Finn was in his element when we started over the hedges! which were pretty meaty with some huge ditches on the other side. Half way through the hedge jumping a young girl and her pony had a nasty fall (you can just see it near the end but I cut off the rest of the video) So I stopped to help her get the pony out the ditch and check she was ok, nobody else was around at the time so we waited for someone to find us and give her a lift. Both walked away luckily. On the way back Finn was still full of beans and looking for the next hedge so I think I need to get him out a bit more! Brilliant day, here is the link to the video :) hope you enjoy watching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZr6h939p24

Last edited:

Mongoose11

Visit site
Wonderful video! I'd give anything to have the balls to do it but going fast with lots of others is my worst nightmare! Fantastic support at the beginning, you must have been grinning from ear to ear!

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
It was lovely to hear so many people cheering ! If I stood next to those hedges before I jumped them I probably wouldn't attempt it :D but to be honest my horse was going over whether I wanted to or not ! He absolutely loves it, such a fab horse :)

Rasadi

Visit site
Looks like you had a great couple of days despite the mud�� All your horse were very well behaved and beautifully turned out

crystalclear

Visit site
Great vids! Those hedges! Looked like your horse was enjoying it and overtaking lots, very speedy. Your youngsters were fab too those ditches!

Elbie

Visit site
What was the hunt master saying? I couldn't make it out on my phone!

Lovely well behaved horses. Did make me chuckle at the "look no hands!"

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
The hunt master welcomed us all and wished us a happy Christmas and new year, thanked the landowners, then said how great it was to see how many people had turned up to support us, "even the sabs have turned up!" which received a big cheer haha !

The no hands bit was simply enjoying the control I had on the 4 year old, knowing that on boxing day I would very little when my hunter saw the hedges :D

Elbie

Visit site
The hunt master welcomed us all and wished us a happy Christmas and new year, thanked the landowners, then said how great it was to see how many people had turned up to support us, "even the sabs have turned up!" which received a big cheer haha !

The no hands bit was simply enjoying the control I had on the 4 year old, knowing that on boxing day I would very little when my hunter saw the hedges :D

I wondered what he said to raise a laugh!

Bernster

Visit site
Great vid thanks. Your boy looks like he is a fab little jumper. But that mud, Blurk! Looks like the ground was a bit heavy in places. Do they not mind you having a head cam? I've always assumed it's a no go for hunting. And shame about the sabs seems like Boxing Day is their fav time to be out ��

Moomin1

Visit site
Hard terrain for such young horses. I personally wouldn't risk mine but each to their own I suppose. Glad you enjoyed it

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
They were only out for just over an hour and the ground was wet but not very deep (apart from when I lost my reins a bit and went briefly off course!) It was a good opportunity to get them out so late in the season for a short day with no big jumping, a lot of it was quietly walking on roads, I only uploaded the fast bits... plus they have both been carefully fittened up. Everyone seems to enjoy the videos and never had a negative comment! You see quite a lot of hunting head cam videos online with lots of different packs so it seems to be pretty popular

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
eta it was very deep in some places boxing day! but was careful just to walk on the bad bits that we couldn't avoid (was referring to Christmas eve in above post :) )

turnbuckle

Visit site
Very fine indeed. Although I did notice that there was a girl at the BD meet on what appeared to be a sheep :)

PS So soggy out there, you must have very forgiving farmers!