Who was asking about BE80 (T) classes?

FestiveSpirit

Visit site
If you are interested, I walked the BE80 XC course today at Stockland Lovell in preparation for my event on Sunday. Very, very straightforward course
smile.gif
90% of the fences were logs/roll tops/palisaide fences... no water, no ditches, no skinnies, nothing
smile.gif

I may of course revise my opinion after I have ridden over it
tongue.gif

Decision_Tree

Visit site
in your view - easier than most unaff at this level?

Sounds easier than the equivalent unaff - normally there is a ditch and/or water at 2`6 ft level.

Flint12

Visit site
I agree with Ems207 about it sounding easier than some Unaff. . .

im planning to go to Pulborough this year.

Hope you have a great time!

1928sky

Visit site
May be a stupid question but why would someone want to pay £60 to jump a course that essentially has nothing educational in terms of questions you might encounter higher up. This is not a personal dig as obviously you didn't know what was going to be in the course. Yes I understand that it is meant as an introduction but is trotting through some shallow water not simple enough and can help prepare a horse for when they need to jump in or out when they move up a level. I could probably find more xc experience for a youngster on a hack over some ditches and through streams.
Good luck, hope it goes well. let us know how you get on.

MegaBeast

Visit site
Surely for your first run you don't actually want any questions to be asked though. Other point regarding paying so much for it, at least you know you'll get a decent course unlike the few unaffil that run round here. What's advertised as a 2'6 will quite often have 3'3 jumps in it!!

1928sky

Visit site
I said preparation for "questions you might encounter higher up" - I would expect a small standalone shallow ditch and a trot through water at the minimum as even at intro you can find fences positioned a couple of strides to the edge of water and ditches in combinations so I would like my horse to have seen in competition these hazards in their simplest form.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
no water!! that is the one that surprises me. mum was thinking of doing it but had a bad xc run at the QRC one the other week, which I don't think had a ditch but had plenty else I didn't see the double (ish) of boxes on top of the hill but there were a lot of stops there. so we thought it was a lot of money if unlikely to go well and need to top up with a lesson really.

She is going to come walk it whilst the comp is on so she could see more what it was like for poss next year.

SpottedCat

Visit site
I'm amazed that somewhere like SLM doesn't have a trot through the second water - but I bet it's because they do use that pond to the max and think people would be confused about where to go.

Amy_08

Visit site
I agree, I would hope to come across a ditch and water in the BE80T. I am aiming for Little Mattingley on 1st Aug, but will be a little peeved if there are neither. I know it is an introduction to eventing, but come on... you'd get more obstacles in an unaffiliated

Gucci_b

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I agree, I would hope to come across a ditch and water in the BE80T. I am aiming for Little Mattingley on 1st Aug, but will be a little peeved if there are neither. I know it is an introduction to eventing, but come on... you'd get more obstacles in an unaffiliated

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto ....

ann-jen

Visit site
It was me who was asking about it - so thanks very much for posting.
smile.gif

It was also me who brought up the question regarding ditches and water - not because I didn't think there should be any - merely because my horse hasn't encountered many and therefore I needed to know how much preparation I would need to put in to go one of theses events. I'm going to be driving in excess of 150 miles and don't want to go all that way to be eliminated because I hadn't done enough homework. I'm guessing that just because there wasn't a ditch/water at SL doesn't mean there won't be anywhere else.
Anyway Splotchy definitely post a report - I'd be very interested to hear how it went.
And Good Luck - have a blast.
smile.gif

kerilli

Visit site
surely the BE(T)80 is for encouraging babyish combinations, not for testing? i agree that i'd have expected to see a little water splash, but other than that, sounds like a lovely little introduction to eventing to me. as everyone says, you can find all the other stuff on unaff courses (and xc schooling courses) - and surely people will have done these already - so no real loss if they're not on the BE course, surely?
at their first few BE events (which i what i'm guessing BE(80) is for), i think most inexperienced people will have enough other stuff to worry about (big atmosphere etc) so a lovely easy xc might be exactly what they want.

FestiveSpirit

Visit site
Sorry guys I was tired and went to bed last night
grin.gif
Yes I was very very surprised that there was no water in the course, I am going to walk it again on Sunday as there were flags indicating a trot into water which I originally thought were for the BE80 course, but there was <u>definitely </u> no number attached to those flags so I concluded it could not be a fence
confused.gif
The numbers followed consecutively from a double of palissaides to a small log pile on a mound
confused.gif

And for those who question why I am spending £60 doing what I can do at a local unaff ODE - my answer is, because it ISNT like a local unaff ODE, or not the ones we have around me
smile.gif
My local venue do run unaff ODEs which can have more challenging 2'9" courses (i.e. they will include ditches, jumping into water etc). But there is limited use of a tannoy (something Bob finds challenging being an ex-pointer
grin.gif
), the tracks are not as well built or inviting, there are not long galloping stretches between fences (something else we need to practice without being run away with
grin.gif
) there are not the sheer numbers of other horses you get at a BE event, etc etc etc
smile.gif

I have evented to the dizzy heights of BE PN
tongue.gif
but Bob has not, so I want him to have a nice, straightforward and encouraging introduction to BE eventing. He is a TB and stresses mentally a lot, so IMO the BE80 courses are a great introduction for him
smile.gif

FestiveSpirit

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Is the SJ on a surface?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep SJ is on a surface - initial warm-up on grass, then before your round you move across to a small warm up on a surface (just next to the arena with the course in)

siennamum

Visit site
The QRC ODE is notoriously nasty. I've had friends in previous years get in the top 5 with XC stops, it's no reflection on SL - you may well know all this already.
The June ODE is much more inviting &amp; run by SL not a RC so you have guarantees about the quality of the course...
grin.gif

SpottedCat

Visit site
I'll be really interested to hear how well the BE80 class is received at SLM, simply because none of the other classes there are suitable for first timers really, they are all upgrade tracks IMO, so I should imagine that either the BE80 will b a 'tougher' one or people walking the course will see a huge disparity between the BE80 course and the intro course (which I hope is what happens).