Who was Your First Horse !!!!

_OC_

Visit site
When did you get your first horse...my Grandfather brought me mine at 16 she was coloured cob and was the sweetest thing on four legs,sadly I out grew,as found her quite slow,but, she was a brillant horse and my mother and me felt she should go where she would be valued so she was given to the local RDA group....she gave alot of pleasure and lived a long life.........who was your 1st horse and how old were you...or are you still waiting to have your own !!!
smile.gif

Alibear

Visit site
booke 16hh x-racer bought her all by myself after saving up for years and having just started full time work. she was fantastic , utterly unsuitable in some ways but since back then I had time to work with her we worked through them all without any dramas.

Went miles and miles and miles on that mare, did take me about 5 months to locate the breaks but once I had them they were perfect. She won a few hunter classes even though she was a very skinng TB purley because the judges lover her gallop and breaks
grin.gif

KJJ

Visit site
My first pony was a Newfie that came from a rescue centre... he was stolen off the new forest at a VERY young age... well before weaning and taken to a meat market... he was then rescued from there for £5!!! Then went off to the rescue centre... my next door neighbour bought him as a companion pony for her horse amd asked my parents if I would like to look after him!! HELL YES!!

5 years later I out grew him
frown.gif
but he's back at the rescue centre enjoying pats and cuddles from visitors!!

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
My dad finally gave in and bought me mine at 14 after Id been riding since I was 3.

We took my riding teacher with us and I remember we were supposed to be looking for a 14.2 - 16hh, 12 year old ish..

We ended up with a 17 hh, 20 + year old Westphalien gelding.

He was an absolute star and looking back, he had so much to put up with from me as I was learning. I think somewhere deep down he liked it though
wink.gif

samp

Visit site
I had a loan pony from the age of 12 for 3 years he was a 12.3hh, 16yo - stubborn git used to drag people everywhere. Never fell off him though.

First horse was bought when I was 16 out of grandad's inheritance. We had a 15.2hh, 6yo bay gelding that we stupidly got off a dealer (ended up returning as would rear), then got a 15.2hh LW bay mare, 4yo - total bitch, would bite, kick and bolt - went to horse hell, then got 15.3hh ISH chestnut mare- nappy as hell, then we got 15.33hh 9 yo bay mare on loan - had back problem and bucked like mad so we got rid, then got 15.3hh Polish Draught had a week then had vetted and failed. Eventually got Dan 15hh Fjord X TB 6yo unbacked as no one could ride him. Had 10 great years with him (that is a lot of horses in the space of something like a year - parents were clueless and I was young

Salcey

Visit site
Bought for me by my nan when I was 11. A 14.1hh 6yo green chestnut mare called Venus. Probably the worst first time buy ever, but she taught me all I know. Bless her, ended up keeping her2 years until I outgrew her

moodymare1987

Visit site
Mine was a 14.2 coloured pony, (pic in my sig) i got her for my 16th birthday, loved her to bits, sadly outgrew her, i did everything on her fun rides, showing with success,cross country, she was a fantastic first pony, would have kept her forever she was that good and i brought her on myself so was proud of the way she was.
smile.gif

Bri

Visit site
My first horse was a 14.1hh newfie. Bought for me when I was 10 as a guilt present from my father as he was leaving to live in another country.
Tim was only 4 - so totally unsuitable for a fairly novice 10 year old, but we learnt so much together. He gave me the greatest childhood! We sold him last year to a lovely lady in Essex, as I'd sadly outgrown him
frown.gif

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
Henry, a 14hh bay trekking pony that belonged to some friends of ours. I had lost my confidence on several nutty ponies and Henry was as solid as a rock and brought it all back. We had so much fun, I was 13.
This is him:

LucynHenry.jpg

TGM

Visit site
I had my first horse at the age of 15 - she was a part TB mare and very nappy! Here she is in action:

tiffany.jpg

And here performing her favourite party trick - the emergency stop:

Tiffstop.jpg

She is the only horse I have ever sold - we never bonded and I sold her after about a year and a half.

Agent XXX999

Visit site
My first pony was JoJo a hairy welshish grey bundle of fun…he was old when I had him, so imagine my surprise to see him at PC camp when I went to go and visit my cousin about 12 years later! He must have been 30 odd!

Ginn

Visit site
Tilly!!! Brought by me with my hard earned cash at the age of 20 (last year) and I couldn't have ended up with a better horse!

The first horse I had as my own but on loan was Citti. A lovely little exracehorse who I completely restated and produced into a wonderful little pc horse - if he ever comes up for sale I'd have him without a second thought.

And the first horse I had any responsibility for was Timmy, a 31yo 11.3 exmoor x who belonged to a family friend and taught me how to ride - for 3 years I mucked him out, groomed and rode him daily and when I outgrew him my sister started learning to ride on him at the grand old age of 34!

fairhill

Visit site
First was Solo - 15.2 6 yr TBxID mare, bought to share with my mum when I was 13. Had her till I went to uni, and she became too much for my mum to cope with. She was beautiful, but crazy.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
Dolly was my first horse (the coloured in my sig). I started sharing her when I was 28 and bought her when i was 30. I then bought Mac a year later. Doll especially has taught me so much and I intend to have them both for the rest of their lives. I now also share a little 14.1 Section D as well.
grin.gif

johnsongreyhorse

Visit site
Quest a 12yo cob whom I bought nearly 16 years ago when I was in my early 20's, I still have him although I can't ride him now due to his arthritis having got alot worse - my kids have a walk up the bridlepath on him now and then which they all enjoy and I do lead him out off my 6yo if they have to stay in due to the weather. He has been absolutely brilliant and I learnt loads from him and love him tons
grin.gif
He used to be very good at jumping and still jumps the electric fench now and then!

BBs

Visit site
Bertie was my first horse...I had a couple of loan ponies before him.

Ive owned Bertie for nearly 16 years, hes nearly 26.

He was truely awesome in his day
smile.gif
galloped and jumped for fun. Never let me down xc. Was very careless SJing but would do a sweet dressage and scored highly due to his flashy movement.
He won loads of prizes at hunter trials and Riding Horse classes
smile.gif
He qualified for the BHS Southern and National Hunter Trials 2 years running
smile.gif
being placed 9th and 25 respectively! at teh grand age of 19/20.

He retired from competition at the age of 22, and retired completely from being ridden this year. At the beginning of August, it was thought Bertie would have to be PTS due to his increasing weight loss
frown.gif
however, I gave him one more chance, taking him off all painkillers and popping him on coligone! and to my amazment, i have a very well, shiny, weight increasing, galloping loon, who is totally enjoying his life again
smile.gif

riotgirl

Visit site
Mine was a 13.2 Section C when I was about 8. He was a complete star. Stood for hours while you fussed over him/dressed him up. Tolerated you riding standing up/backwards/playing cowboys and Indians! A total first pony.

Tempi

Visit site
I had a little pony called Amelia - she was a chestnut mare and noone else at the yard could ride her as she was a little cowbag at times! but i loved her soooooooo much and i still go and visit her now as altho shes in retirment shes still in a field with the 'oldies' from my old riding school. When i go and see her i can call her name and she neighs and comes running over to me even now, its so sweet!! I still love her lots!

the watcher

Visit site
Cosford Blue Moon, a 13.3 show pony..getting on a bit by the time I bought her but still sparky (too much Valentino in the family tree) and threw me off every time I rode her for the first 6 months. We eventually reached an understanding and she had a successful WH and in hand career in her later years and hunted up to her last winter. Became quite ill with Cushings and died at 24 years old. Still miss her

Madam_max

Visit site
This is my first horse Josie, who sadly had to be PTS she had kissing spine, wobblers etc. She nearly killed me
frown.gif
. She was very beautiful though.
frown.gif

IMG_1525.jpg

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
My first pony was called Brandy. He was about 12’2hh and definitely a Heinz 57. He was a little git, he just didn’t go anywhere or when he did move it was to pull my arms out of their sockets to get at the grass. Unfortunately we didn’t keep him that long as he kicked my Nan when she tried to get him in from the field, so got traded in. I wonder if he ever found his perfect home??????

SSM

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
. At the beginning of August, it was thought Bertie would have to be PTS due to his increasing weight loss
frown.gif
however, I gave him one more chance, taking him off all painkillers and popping him on coligone! and to my amazment, i have a very well, shiny, weight increasing, galloping loon, who is totally enjoying his life again
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That has just given me goosebumps
smile.gif

BBs

Visit site
Naww.... I cant believe how well he looks SSM
smile.gif
he races around the field, chasing Winston, even bucks up the field WFT!!! Bertie has never bucked lol

His coat is lovely, soft and shiny and he is more sound now without painkillers than he was on 1-2 bute a day!

KatB

Visit site
Mine was a 14.2hh coloured cob who i brought when I was 17, brought him off a friend who had had him sold to her as 1 7yr old, and he started to nap and be naughty with her children. He was actually 4. He was the MOST amazing hunter, would jump everything, and is still spoken about at my local hunt, as he was so brave and would always lead the field over everything! Also used to escape out of his field by jumping the 5bar gate....Still own him, he is currently out on loan to BobletLeCoblet on the forum....
grin.gif

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Sparkle (cob in my sig). Brought with blood sweat and tears when I was 30 - having shared her for 3 years. She is perfect and will never be sold.

SSM

Visit site
My first pony - Pinto (how original you all say!!) had been around the village, he must have been about 14 when my parents bought him for me, I was probably too tall for him, but we hunted, cross countried, show jumped and won equitation classes - he never stopped - bugger to catch and box but won all our hearts - Even my mother would ride him - well they would go as far as he wanted to go and then turn around and come home - all in a gentle walk for her!!

When we sold our house he went with it to live out his days as a companion pony.
Pinto.jpg

loopeepee

Visit site
My first pony was Tess, who was on loan. She came over from Ireland in foal (without the owner knowing), then foaled months later. A year or so later she went up to Loughborough to a little girl who was pootling around 1'6'' courses on her.
She eventually came to me after the little girl didnt want to play ponies anymore. She walked off the trailer and the first thing my best friend said to me was 'Hey Luce, got yourself a carthorse there!' And she wasnt far wrong. Feathers, coat, mane and tail EVERYWHERE! We promptly clipped her there and then and she looked decidly better.
She came in September 2003, where my grades at school were failing miserably. I couldnt concentrate and was so stressed. Having Tess meant I could go and ride, and forget about school. My grades rocketed
laugh.gif

I brought her on, schooled her, and trusted her with my life. Yes, she had a nasty kick in her when other horses tried to take her food (she was starved as a youngster). Yes, she could rear and 'gaselle leap'. No one could understand why I was never scared of her, but she was never nasty with me.
My last competition was a SJ one down the road, 3'3'' - 3'6'' - and she won, by 11 seconds. All the other SJ riders were furious that a cobby little hogged mare could beat there super duper ponies were thousands. Ha, she was amazing.
Sadly it was the next horse I had which nearly killed me on the road, and knocked my confidence. Gahh,
frown.gif

BBs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
bugger to catch and box but won all our hearts - Even my mother would ride him -

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG he wasnt related to Berts was he??? hehe I could never catch Bertie - he was a git!!

UKa

community.webshots.com
Jack, a Fjord Pony (Norwegian) - I was about 11 or 12 and my Dad was miraculously persuaded to buy him off the owner of a trekking place where we used to ride and help out as kids so my sister and I got our first pony; he only stayed with us for a wonderful 18 months though as he turned blind on both eyes due to eye infections so we had him put down - in those days it was not really an option to keep a blind horse in our circumstances. Wish I had a photo in digital format, he was fantastic, I loved to take him hunting and when it had snowed in the winter (those days it sometimes did) we would let him pull us through the woods on a sledge as he was trained to drive too. Ah, memories!!!