Who/where do you keep your horses passport?

wiglet

Visit site
I know this has probably been asked before but, if you're on a DIY yard, with a yard owner that lives on site but doesn't do any services or checks, who should keep your horses passport? Owner of horse or yard owner?

Just asking...

RubysGold

Visit site
I keep mine, they are in my bedside cabinet.
My yo has no interest in the horses at all and I wouldn't want to have to chase him up every year for vaccination day.

Polos Mum

Visit site
Technically they should be with the keeper, I think if the Y/o lives on site then I suspect that would be the Y/o even if they don't do any 'keeping' completely impractical so I suspect most are just kept by the owner. I guess Y/o could have some kind of public safe that only livery clients have the code for to keep them in so they are accessable - but seems a waste of time.

NativePonyLover

Visit site
By me. Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable handing over the original to a Y/O when on DIY livery - I'd happily give a photocopy of the relevant pages though.

oldie48

Visit site
Having had the embarrassing experience of breaking down in my old lorry and requiring lorry to be towed away and horse being brought home, I now keep the passport in the lorry. I had to beg and (ashamed to admit it) shed tears to get the horse transport guy to take my boy as it was illegal for him to transport a horse without the passport which was carefully put away at home. It was quite legal for me to travel the horse though. I can't rely on remembering to take it with me every time I go for a lesson!!!

Annagain

Visit site
Mine are at the yard in my locked storage room. YO knows where they are and can get to them if she needs to in a hurry. Can't see that ever happening however. I do take them with me on long journeys but not just down the road for lessons, I figured someone can bring it to me if I'm ever unlucky enough to need rescuing on a 5 minute journey. I could walk the horse home if I needed to unless it was pitch black.

Montyforever

Visit site
At home in bedside cabinet. I always take it for trips out in the lorry though and shows etc. Never been asked for it anywhere but the vets though!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I know this has probably been asked before but, if you're on a DIY yard, with a yard owner that lives on site but doesn't do any services or checks, who should keep your horses passport? Owner of horse or yard owner?

Just asking...
my liveries all keep their own passports at home I think

asmp

Visit site
Keep mine in the glove compartment of our towing vehicle as I know I'd forget it if I had to remember every time we went somewhere. On DIY livery with no one living on site.

Coblover63

Visit site
Horse-box under the bed..... not a horsebox, obviously!!! Actually it is a box that formerly had a pair of Dickies work boots in but it holds all sorts of horsey stuff, photos, tail cuttings, vet's bills etc.

One of my former yards asked to see the passport and took a copy of the front page.

rara007

Visit site
Locked in the office. Take them out just for shows/vet, wouldn't want to risk them being stolen leaving them in the lorry!

sasquatch

Visit site
mine is kept in the file with all my other horse documents.

if YO needed it, she only would have to ask and I could have it with her in the 15 minute walk to the yard as long as someone is at home when she needs it.

wiglet

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. The yard does have a safe to keep passports in. I keep mine at home and YO was asking why. He says if DEFRA did a spot check he could be fined for not being able to show all the passports... I will however now supply photocopies of the relevant pages - top idea :)

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
It's in his folder in my lounge, along with his vetting certificate, insurance certificate, livery, dentist and vet bills. YO has never asked for it.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
mine is kept at the yard where my tack is and yard owner knows where it is in case of emergency...she lives on site but is quite happy with this arrangement and so am I...

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
I always kept the passport when on livery, even when services were provided. The exception was if I was away, even if only for a day or two, when I would give the YO or whoever was looking after him the passport.

My understanding is that the keeper is committing an offence if they don't make sure the horse has a passport and can't produce it within 3 hours of it being requested. I would say in a pure DIY livery situation where the yard owner is not involved with the horses at all the horse's owner is also the keeper (they certainly are if they rent a field from a farmer).

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I'm on a private livery yard & I keep my passports in a safe in my lorry. That way I always have them at the yard & they are also with me when I travel.

windand rain

Visit site
glove compartment of the tow car as it is pretty much a mobile tack room it is usually with me so if the ver is needed it is in the car

Theocat

Visit site
I keep mine in a box in the tack room. The YO can get to it if she needs to, and the box always comes with us when we travel so I don't need to remember to take it separately.

The tack room is always padlocked unless someone is using tack.

sywell

Visit site
In the lorry....:)
The person who is the keeper of the horse has to have the passport and when travelling the horse you must have the passport. The lorry driver is the keeper of the horse and will not move a horse without its passport. Passport issuers can issue temporary passports that are valid for 45 days in cases where a passport is lost. In do it yourself livery yards who do not provide any other service you would be the keeper. The legislation is not about who owns the horse as it says on the cover of the passport it is not proof of ownership it is a disease control document for the horse.