Who would you recommend insuring horse with?

ClareMc

Visit site
I use NFU, but I ahve been told they are not taking on new customers, will only ensure a horse if you are a exsisting customer.

Previoulsy used PetPlan, who were expensive.

Kelly1982

Visit site
NFU all the way!!!

My horse had to had loads of investigation work that went on for nearly a year including 3 stays at the vets and countless call outs all totally up to £5,000
shocked.gif
Not including what i paid out of my own pocket.

NFU paid all my claims out within a week of me sending off the forms and the only thing the didn't pay for was 50% of the stabling costs. They even paid up to £500 to travel him backwards and forwards!!

The only thing they wouldn't do is insure my mare for more than i brought her, i managed to get her quite cheap off of someone i knew even though she is worth a lot more but they would only insure her for what i paid so if anything happens i will be stuffed!!!

beaconhorse

Visit site
south essex have been fantastic with ALL my claims for both my last 2 horses so would recommend them I would not go with anyone else

the watcher

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I use NFU, but I ahve been told they are not taking on new customers, will only ensure a horse if you are a exsisting customer.

Previoulsy used PetPlan, who were expensive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bit of a dodge on their part, before, they would only cover your horse if you had some other insurance with them, ie car or house, but of course they are not allowed to do this, something to do with legislation relating to the sale of insurance so they had to stop. this is their way of trying to get round that and ought to be challenged.
I'll bet they are still taking on cover for cars and other stuff.

PoppyPony

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just took out insurance with them about a week ago?!

confused!

ps am very happy with NFU

brightmount

Visit site
Having been in the unfortunate position of having to claim big time with two horses, I found everything ran on rails with Petplan, and I didn't have to get my chequebook out at all after the excess had been dealt with - I just filled in a claim form with each vet's bill and sent it to the vet, and they claimed on my behalf and were paid direct. Petplan's helpline staff are also very helpful and sympathetic.

CastleMouse

Visit site
I use public liability, which is €175 per year, I use Mercury Bloodstock, they're based in Naas and very helpful
smile.gif
I'll pm you their e-mail and phone number if you want
smile.gif

moocow

Visit site
i have been wondering the same thing. Got a quote from the curragh bloodstock agency but they don't cover vet expenses. they do offer a "life saving surgery" cover for an extra 50 euro a year but they wouldn't tell me what constitutes life saving surgery. i gathered from them if it wasn't an invasive proceedure they wouldn't cover it. the example the use is surgery for colic would be covered but a hell of a lot more things can go wrong other than colic! Any sort of investigations wouldn't be covered.

i am looking for other options but am hitting a brick wall at the mo. can you let me know if you find anyone that will cover vet expenses as well?

if i find out any other companies will PM you

4whitesocks

Visit site
I am with a guy in meath - actually so is Niamhy - I shopped around and found him to be the best value & he would insure for loss of use and life saving surgery and tack - none insure for vets fees

Have just moved house & can't find his details but if you PM Niamhy she'll fill you in

I use my BHS gold membership for my public liability

goeslikestink

www.hozhatz.co.uk
dont use e and L
they not so quick to pay up

bhs do third party--
seib is great good company otherwise bhs wouldnt use them
they pay up and are very responsive
pet plan are also very good

nfu are more expensive than seib or pet plan