Whoa, I said whoa you twit

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Team AA is having training issues, the cob on the left rein, is doing double pikes, head stands, bottom stands, skids and kite flying on the the end of lunge, AA is hanging for grim death whilst whispering $$$$$$ing whoa.

The cat who is sitting on the school fence watching the antics decides to join in and starts chasing the furry bit on the end of the lunge whip, the cat is on the right rein.

AA quickly becomes travel sick with all this random rotation and starts telling the cat, who must have a death wish, to walk, the cob noting the lack of attention, picks up more speed and straightens the neck. You can guess the rest !

So HHo I need training tips to rectify my problems.

ozpoz

Visit site
I don't usually recommend restraint AA but in this case I would make sure the cat is firmly and securely locked up indoors before it has the chance to incite trouble.

Then introduce the lunge whip to said cat gradually until it is no longer interested. :)

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I don't usually recommend restraint AA but in this case I would make sure the cat is firmly and securely locked up indoors before it has the chance to incite trouble.

Then introduce the lunge whip to said cat gradually until it is no longer interested. :)

You mean tie the lunge whip lash around said cats neck and restrain ?

MyBoyChe

Visit site
I believe it is ice skaters who are taught, whilst spinning fast, to "spot" on a point in the distance, so my tip would be, nail the cat to the fence so it cant chase the furry bit on the lunge whip, then "spot" on the cat who will be sitting still on the fence to stop you getting dizzy. Two birds, one stone and all that :)

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
It appears that the cat is confused about your body, whip and voice aids. Going clockwise when it should have gone anti-clockwise. Have you spent time training it to lunge on its own? It sounds like it needs some 1 to 1 sessions before adding the cob.

Are you sure that your positioning is correct?

I think that a video of you lungeing the cat and the cob simultaneously is necessary so that HHO's resident experts can see exactly what is going on.

twiggy2

Visit site
It appears that the cat is confused about your body, whip and voice aids. Going clockwise when it should have gone anti-clockwise. Have you spent time training it to lunge on its own? It sounds like it needs some 1 to 1 sessions before adding the cob.

I think that a video of you lungeing the cat and the cob simultaneously is necessary so that HHO's resident experts can see exactly what is going on.

Ha ha ha

AdorableAlice

Visit site

You will be lucky ! I got to the stage that I could not see what was going on !

My position was variable, bit in front and a bit behind the movement, not sure if it was the cat or the horse though. The school surface seemed to rise up a little too. This is a serious training issue, not sure if I need a parelli trainer or a cat whisperer.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Tried and tested techniques in this situation would be:
1)Get the cat to lunge the cob
2)tie the cat to the end of a stick and use this as a lunge whip
3)rehome both cat and cob
4)place the cob on the fence and lunge the cat
5)turn cat and cob loose and go to the pub
6)put the cob in a cart where it belongs, as it clearly isn't ofay with this poncey lunging business

Good luck

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Wrap the lunge line around your hand, might make you feel more in control?
That is, until you dislocated your shoulder, face plant and go ploughing......
Give the cat a proper job, not just pussying about!

I'd get a professional in, they whisper to your horse :)

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
This is a serious training issue, not sure if I need a parelli trainer or a cat whisperer.
If you insist on getting a trainer in, rather than trying out all the advice you are being offered freely on here, I believe that there are a very small number of select trainers who are dual qualified both in Parelli and Purrelli techniques :).

JFTDWS

Visit site
I would like to offer the services of my collie, who also likes to join in with the lunging game, by running in the opposite direction to the horse. Just to add to the chaos ;)

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Yes, you definitely need to get a natural catmanship trainer. I had one along and they worked wonders with my furry rebel. :)

attachment.php

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
If you insist on getting a trainer in, rather than trying out all the advice you are being offered freely on here, I believe that there are a very small number of select trainers who are dual qualified both in Parelli and Purrelli techniques :).

OP, I have just realised where you are going wrong (although a video would still be useful). It's the lunge whip! Paint it orange and turn it into a carrot stick;) Much more effective:):)

Snitch

Visit site
No, no, no!
The cat thinks it’s SantaPaws (quite obviously) and that the furry things are its reindeers (quite obviously, again).
The only solution I can see is for you to find, or make, the poor cat a sleigh, STAT.

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
Distract cat with a saucer of tuna, as far from lunge area as possible. This should buy you just enough time to open the strong drink, after which things will seem much better!

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
This sounds similar to the "schooling with added sheep" scenario, where riding a straight line between A and C through X becomes more of a serpentine, as said sheep decides to sit on the centre line, horse (who lives with said sheep) decides that because horse is being ridden, the sheep are now dangerous and the serpentine becomes turn on the forehand round the sheep, so that the horse can keep an eye on the sheep :D. Other than bannishing all other creatures, I have no answer, except possibly strong drink!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
It's perfectly obvious. Coat the cat in turmeric, paint the lunge whip white, wrap yourself up in a pessoa, and put matching ears, bandages and cloth on the horse. All your problems will disappear.

TTK

Visit site
Tried and tested techniques in this situation would be:
1)Get the cat to lunge the cob
2)tie the cat to the end of a stick and use this as a lunge whip
3)rehome both cat and cob
4)place the cob on the fence and lunge the cat
5)turn cat and cob loose and go to the pub
6)put the cob in a cart where it belongs, as it clearly isn't ofay with this poncey lunging business

Good luck
all excellent suggestions *spits early voddy out on tablet while laughing*

TTK

Visit site
Have just recalled that unless I shut the little swine in the house, I am an expert horse & Sealyham lunger . It’s horrible and ends in bad language and chaos

Cowpony

Visit site
It's quite clear that you have over-catted yourself here. Send the cat away for professional schooling. There is no shame in admitting that you need help. Once you have the time to spend on your cob you can teach him to use the cat-flap and lie on the sofa out of the way, so when the cat comes home you can lunge it without interference.

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
It's quite clear that you have over-catted yourself here. Send the cat away for professional schooling. There is no shame in admitting that you need help. Once you have the time to spend on your cob you can teach him to use the cat-flap and lie on the sofa out of the way, so when the cat comes home you can lunge it without interference.

:D Crying with laughter!

paddy555

Visit site
first of all get rid of the whip. You have plenty of forward movement, you don't need to encourage more. Then tie a ribbon to horse's tail. That way cat will chase horse and at least everyone will be going in the same direction.
However look at the underlying problem, are you keeping cat and horse stabled for far too long? they need to be out 24/7, no rugs. That will reduce their energy levels.
If cat has so much energy why isn''t it putting it into chasing rats and mice?