whoops, face planted on the mounting block!

oldie48

Visit site
I have a very ropey achilles tendon, basically not fit for purposeI but not a great option for surgery either so I need my horse to stand quietly while I mount, no moving or messing about. Rose didn't stand nicely yesterday so we had some work to do this morning. We spent 20 minutes just walking to the mounting block in the school, standing quietly then walking away, parking where I wnted her, standing quietly, no pawing or moving, me getting on the block, whilst she stood quietly etc. She was very bright initially and clearly she's unsettled by the move but needs must! Unfortunately something spooked her as I was just in the process of getting her "parked" and she knocked me over, straight onto the mounting block. I picked myself up but she was clearly very worried. No harm done but I wish I'd had gloves on (stupid) as I cut my hand and she didn't want the treats I was using to reward her for "good" behaviour when they were tainted with my blood. However, I rode her later on in the afternoon and she stood beautifully whilst I got on and also went very well too. We did a bit of lateral work, nothing complicated, all very basic stuff. Buying a new horse is like moving to a foreign country,you have to learn a new language and the horse needs to understand the customs of the new owner. I think we are both wiling to learn and adapt so all in all, not a bad day! Off for an over nighter at AM Dressage tomorrow so we'll see how she copes with more change. Wish me luck!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Oops! Hope you aren't too sore in the morning x
You're spot on about learning a new language, and it's surprising how long it takes sometimes! I still don't speak fluent Salty (but Kira is like a mother tongue now ;) )

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Ouch! Hope you're feeling ok today, have fun lessoning 😁

Earlier this year I managed to wipe out climbing on a mounting block and cut my knee open while leaning over the unbacked pony for the first time. If she could have rolled her eyes at me she would have done....I fear that the only reason my horses are so unreactive is because I am so ridiculous :oops:

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Aw, that is a shame.

I have found that just about every horse I buy needs teaching to stand at the block. I need one to make like a statue, and stay that way until I have done stirrups, gloves, lip balm, tissues, gloves etc.

She sounds kind and I am sure it will be a mere blip.