Who's coming out of winter a bit to well?

thedutchess

Visit site
As title one of my ponys have done a bit to well over the winter, there on alibi hay in a ring and live out, I've just gone down in weight on the rugs. Anyone else in the same boat?

skint1

Visit site
Yes both my mare and I are approaching Spring with a lot of extra layers. I've cut down both our rations and we need more exercise

Thriller

Visit site
Yeah i would have liked a bit more off mine. My mare has actually put on weight and i don't even know how. Shes not getting any more food and is still unrugged and half clipped.

thedutchess

Visit site
I'm actually don't know how she has really maybe I over rugged a bit this year, the other 2 are looking really well perfect weight for coming into spring. Strange lol

Enfys

Visit site
All of mine have done well this year, out 24/7 as usual.

Especially the Paso, she has a coat like a yak and is getting cresty, on hay alone, her blanket has been off for a week she was getting warm. Still minus double figures but she's fine with it.

February%202015184.jpg

Walrus

Visit site
Mine! All last summer I was feeding him to keep his weight on. Whilst he hasn't stopped working, due to saddle issues and then mouth issues he has cut down. He came out of xmas looking like he'd eaten all the mince pies and now he looks like he's eaten another pony! I'm weighing his hay, he's horse walkering and I am willing the ground to get better so i can get him out hacking to try and shift some flab!

Cowpony

Visit site
Mine too. She's been off work for most of the last year and is just coming back into proper work, so she's well covered. I had hoped the winter would slim her down a bit but it hasn't. I haven't wanted to reduce her rug yet as we keep getting frosts overnight at odd times, but maybe I need to.

frostyfingers

Visit site
My new companion pony is already on his restricted diet - he came to me okayish in December and I wanted to let him run with my big horse so they could get to know each other and settle down together. Unfortunately he's prospered, even with in hand exercise, so is currently on week 4 of his restriction, and it's only going to get more severe as soon as the spring grass comes properly. I'm not sure he's lost much weight, his ribs are a bit elusive, but he's not put any more on.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
only the Shetland, the others looks too skinny too me :(

my boy had to go on diet because he has bone spurs and the vet said that he was too fat and being heavy will make them worse (especially the one in his coffin joint) so I can now feel his ribs with the flat of my hand! he's gone from a 54inch girth to a 50 inch :( I'm sure he looks fine but I'm not used to ribs!

my mare is 30 this year and has cushings, she decided to starve herself when her dose was too high, so I've reduced the meds and she's eating again! shes not been ridden for 2 yrs, so she looks old and I can feel her ribs too! but I guess she's probably not that bad. was going to take some pics today, but never got round to it!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
You may not be used to ribs (unfortunately very few people seem to be), but if you cannot feel ribs, your horses are too fat.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
You may not be used to ribs (unfortunately very few people seem to be), but if you cannot feel ribs, your horses are too fat.

Thanks, make me feel less guilty! my mare was always such a good doer until she hit 25! she never used to even need hard feed! now she gets 2 feeds a day and adlib hay

JJS

Visit site
The TB x is perfect but he certainly doesn't want any more weight on him. The Welshie has been on a diet since last summer. Underneath all of the fluff, you can feel his ribs if you really press, but he's definitely slightly more rotund than he needs to be.

Arizahn

Visit site
Mine are both heftier than I would like them to be; it was the autumn grass that started it. They are currently on a largely bare field with ad lib hay, and are improving. They won't be going onto the nice grass until they're slim enough for it!

skint1

Visit site
The problem I have had with my horse is that she had a lot of time off this winter due to a respiratory infection, the grazing is suitably poor and she is clipped. She is rugged (perhaps too well) and comes in overnight to haylage. She has breakfast and tea of fast fibre and chaff for her meds, normally she'd not have breakfast.

The last couple of weeks she's had to stay in her stable quite a bit (much to her delight) so that's more haylage and she has really ballooned. I realise now that i got too hung up on her not standing around for hours with no forage and I have been entirely too generous with her portions.

She is not happy with her new slimline portions and increased exercise, she keeps pushing me with her nose and looking annoyed. I am quite embarrassed to have let her get so bad, she looks like she's about to give birth to a full grown horse.

Slave2Magic

Visit site
My youngster looks ok but my arab mare still has more weight on than I would like. She has been out 24/7 in a 100g rug all winter and still on the chubby side. I guess we haven't had a great deal of really cold weather though.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
My 22yo was un-clipped and un-rugged for the first time since he's been backed. I've cut back on his hay and linseed. He only got 120mg and 2 sections a day. Need to up the exercise now. (for both of us!)

bumper

Visit site
Nope, looking fine. He's got polysaccharide intolerance though, so am waiting for the inevitable spring grass plummett in weight....however THIS year he's on a track so I'm hoping it won't be as bad.

kez81

Visit site
Fatty has lived out unrigged all winter with only one scoop of fast fibre after ridden work, he does 1.5 to 2 hours good exercise five days a week. There is not much grass in field but farmer puts hayledge out for the sheep and I think he has done rather too well on it. Thank goodness the lambs are due soon so the sheep will get moved and I can switch back to hay. He is gradually losing weight but not fast enough for me.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
I have just about managed to get mine to his ideal weight, however it has taken all winter and we are just about to get the grass through, so I am panicking a bit. He has been blanket clipped, a lw sheet only (and thats to stop him getting absolutely filthy), no hard feed at all and hay weighed religiously and mixed with straw. My fault, I let him have too much autumn grass and he ballooned in October :( We are on clay and with no school to ride in so winter exercise is almost non existent, he is pretty much out 24/7, only coming in on really awful days. Hopefully any day now the weather will start to pick up and we can crack on.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
All ours are looking well, even our oldie.

No hay. I feed a handfull of chaff and a few slices of carrot only so I can check and pick out feet daily as they live out unrugged. I can see them from home but I still like to do close ups.

My filly is ridiculously fat.

Bootcamp on Monday (in-hand work). No way I can start riding her as fat as she is!