Who's dreading winter?

mandy4727

Visit site
Just wondered. Last year I had a 29 year old mare and she as no different whether she as in or out. Still the same nutter but controlable. But I sadly lost her in Jan 06. And now I have a yearling. Owned since Jan so had a couple of months with limited turnout and her being a nutter for different reasons over winter. I feel sick at the thought of a full winter with her. This year we should have daily winter turnout if not alternate days. But still dreading it and the looney she will become on the days that she isnt turned out as too icey, too wet etc etc. But will take each day as it comes with her and look forward to the spring. God are we wishing our lives away????

Visit site
Im sad to hear about your mare
frown.gif

Dont you have a field shelter?

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
Do you have to? I didnt want to even think about it that much!!
My boy will live out 24/7 so it's mud all the way. i am stocking up on plenty of warm rugs for him and thermals for me.

Louby

Visit site
After this hot summer and awful flies and our horses not wanting to stay out for more than an hour or so Ive got to admit I was looking forward to Winter!!!
Mind you once its hear I'll be moaning again.

mandy4727

Visit site
GT's. Bit limited with grazing where we are. DIY livery so have do what YO says. So 1 field (about 1 acre but 2 horses per turnout) is allowed for winter turnout so will be mud bath. After they have all been turned out for about 1 hour while people muck out or at weekends. Some people who want all day turnout can do so in the field next door arrangement made with that farmer from ages ago for the long established people on the other yard as they paid for the new fencing to be done. Everyone else was given the chance to contribute and help putting it up, but only 4 people wanted to so only their horses use it - if you get my drift. It is free and other than paying for the fencing he doesn't charge all winter for turning your horses out in it. It isn't used at all from April until October so plenty of grass and the freedome to stretch their legs. About 3 acres. (4 horses) but you have to walk through the mud bath field to both turnout in morning and bring out in evening. Bit of a trek but at least they are out. No light unless you turn the sand school lights on and it gives some illumination.

_jetset_

Visit site
Oh God, I am absolutely dreading winter, especially as Hann can't really be ridden throughout the winter months... I'm also dreading being wet 24/7 at the yard! I get so fed up of washing my johdpurs after just 45 mins of wearing them!

Definitely getting a new winter coat this year though... any suggestions?

severnmiles

Visit site
Aww poor girlie
crazy.gif
why is she a loon to turn out? I've had yearlings/2y.o's for the passed couple of years and being on top of a hill we really get the wind, all TB's/Tb types but they've not really been crazy, Holly used to spook a bit and on a bad day would rear at the gate but nothing nasty or stupid. Molly and Rhi would usually go out like saints.

Hate to say I'm really not dreading it! I love the winter, this heat knocks me for six! And our old boy (26 ex-racer) suffers in the heat but isn't too bothered by the wind or rain in a snuggly rug.

Hunting, pointing, NH racing, cold mornings, rain (I'm crazy I know!), clipped horses, Christmas....whats not to like!!
smile.gif
Only downside is the wind...and it blows when you're on top of a hill like us
frown.gif

mandy4727

Visit site
Severnmiles. I always used to love winter. Christmas is my favourite time of year. I would put my tree up now if I could get away with it. But it seems to have changed with having a youngster. Due to limited turnout from about Jan to Apr when we first got her. She was stabled 24/7. Not ideal for a yearling. So the only exercise she got was in the evening in hand. So we had fun and games as you can imagine. With the odd weekend half hour field turnout as we could. And with her being new to me, I didn't know how she would react turnouted out in a field by herself. So during the week a bit of a prancing, rearing, typical yearling. Hopefully, this year. With the turnout we can have using the other farmers small field Calli will be more manageable and co-operative. But if the weather is bad and no one else wants to turnout out. I have problems. But will wait and see what happens. No point stressing over it now.

vivhewe

Visit site
If I get some stables up by then I won't mind.

If not then I will have a winter weather rant on here that is used so much that Admin will let me have it as a sticky!
wink.gif
grin.gif

severnmiles

Visit site
Hmm...not ideal I guess! Not for a yearling, are there no livery yards with full time turnout near by? Although I guess full time isn't ideal for a yearling as you want to keep up the handling, but 1/2 hour is tight.

When I first had Holly, we lived somewhere else and I only had the two fields so Relli(trak) went in one and the two TB's went in the other, so poor Holly (a weanling) had to stay in and only got about an hour out a day
frown.gif
in the week, she was wild to turnout but manageable.

Is Calli sharp?

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
If turnout is your big problem why not look into asking a stud if they would have her over the winter as most of them run youngsters on and then she would have company too. Many studs will 'do terms' with you if they are long time boarders too so it won't work out any dearer than your DIY. With any luck you'll find one that actually keeps their youngsters out and gives them feed or hay too which would be just the sort of thing to suit a yearling.

mandy4727

Visit site
We got Calli at a bad time of year. End of Jan. So if you had asked if she was sharp the - the answer was yes. But now she is turned out she is a donkey. So looking back she wasn't actually sharp in winter, she was just a typical baby and full of energy. But she seems so mature in other ways. Will stand tied up. Great for farrier. Walks over plastic bags, round jump wings, over poles, traffic, cones, tyres, umbrellas (my daughter is a bit of a handy pony freak!!!) and Calli is so so chilled. Never spooks at a thing. So it is just energy and trying to contain it when they are in so much in winter. I have looked at other yards within about a 10 mile radius and when you weigh up the pros and cons for facilities, turnout, rent price, size of stables, flexibility, sand school, hacking, local shows, etc etc (don't ask have done all the lists and give marks out of 10 for each facility), distance from home (half a mile) this one far outwieghs what is out there. So take the good with the bad and roll on next spring or even 3 years time when we can ride her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ginn

Visit site
I can't wait till the winter. I start my new course at uni and winter always seems to fly by and I shall be planning to back Till's in the spring. BUT I have 24/7 turnout in a 10 acre field with probably just one other horse and a stable if I want it.

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
I cant wait for winter, its when all the fun starts! There is something immensely satisfying about riding 6 lots in the p~ssing down rain in a pair of snug waterproofs.
The only thing im not looking forward to is struggling to get aforementioned 6 nags out when it is frozen till midday and starts again about 4pm.
Looks like a busy winter for me, traditionally summer has always been full of breakers. People are now wanting everything broken in through winter, I have 4 booked in for when 'the weather changes' already - its looking as though the 6 could probably become 10 again.
crazy.gif

pottamus

Visit site
I don't mind too much really. My biggest problem is not having electricity or lights in my field stable so I have to wander around with a lantern like Florence Nightingale!!!
smile.gif
Mud is not an issue as I rent a field for my horse all year and there is more than enough for him without it getting in a mess...so I am lucky in that respect.
I am slightly nervous about him being clipped for the first time ever this year and hoping he will be warm enough in his rugs because he is a terrible wimp for a native. Only having his chest and lower neck done to begin with and see how we go from there.

Evadiva1514

Visit site
Im actually really looking forward to winter, after this summer i will be really glad for the temperature to drop. I understand where you are coming from about your yearling we had a slightly different problem to you as we got our 2 weanlings in November and although they were absolute angels to handle the majority of the time, we had problems with them when they were actually turned out . They would settle for about 5 mins and then gallop about and threaten to jump out - it was a nightmare!! Thankfully they are much better and actually a lot more sensible than the older ones!! So i am looking forward to winter now!! Bring it on!! LOL!!

Kelly1982

Visit site
So sorry to hear about your mare
frown.gif

Maybe your youngster was a bit of a loon as she was young, settling in and everything was still new and exciting and she wasn't used to routine. I am sure things will be a lot calmer this time round.

I am dreading winter though, i HATE the cold, HATE the 100's of rugs and HATE the dark nights. The other night i was driving home at about 8.30pm and it was getting dark already
frown.gif
I had to put my head lights on and that was so depressing as it made me realise winter is approaching fast!!

mandy4727

Visit site
Yep kelly. Think you are right. It was a difficult time for her. Moving to a new yard, new owners, new horses, new stables and a different routine that she wasn't used to. Plus limited turnout. This winter she is more used to us and our routines. Is more familiar with the yard and the fields. We know what she does and doesn't like and will and won't do and we are not as wary now of her as we were when she first came as we didn't know her at all or what she is capable of. At the moment she is a sweetie and no trouble and fingers crossed she may stay that way!!!!

riotgirl

Visit site
I love the winter! Turn out not a problem as I rent a field off my neighbour who has what she calls a 'sacrifice' field for my girl. It can get trashed then without anyone worrying. Only problem I have is same as Pottamus - no ruddy lighting. Have become quite adept at balancing a torch, feed bucket, and haynet without causing too much damage.

Theresa_F

Visit site
Only thing I hate about winter is the dark nights.

Chancer wintered very well last year - he was only 16 months but accepted staying in three days a week no problem. I always made sure he had hay at all times and he went into the school twice a day to run round with Cairo.

I also at 18 months started some work with him on the days he was in - loose schooling, working on a long rein, in hand training etc which worked well as it kept him occupied and took the edge of him.

That said, he is a gypsy cob and a laid back chap.

Can you do some in-hand, working on a long rein etc with her to help with the excess energy. It does not have to be fast work or long - 15 - 20 mins mental works is very tiring from them - they then have supper and sleep.

Safina

Visit site
Me...5.15am starts in the summer are ok, in the peeing rain and the dark is a different matter.

I also have a stupid wibbly tb who needs about a hundred rugs on, 10 bales of hay a week and who constantly injures himself in the winter. I think its the lack of grazing to keep him occupied as well as the thick mud he often slips over on.

Sigh.....lets not even get into keeping weight on him. Sugar beet is the only thing that helps but boy does it make him fizzy.

Oaksflight

Visit site
Depends on my A Level results as to whether I keep Hal over winter, but if I do, I think I'll be keeping him on part livery and getting a sharer to help with the costs. Can't wait for hunting and team chasing, both of which we'll be having a go at for first time. Then indoor sj down the road. And we will get over his fear of clipping, or at least just better so I can do so with him sedated!