Whose rugging already

holeymoley

Visit site
Nope, mine has a chase clip at the moment. Tell a lie- he’s had a sheet on twice when it was blowing a gale and it felt freezing! But other than that no, he has 2 big trees to shelter under/behind.

southerncomfort

Visit site
Why do some people struggle with the concept of different areas of the country having different weather/temperature?

Yesterday it was 26 degrees in London and 12 degrees where I live. It was warm and sunny in the south and wet and windy here.

Some areas are already experiencing night frosts.

Some horses cope perfectly well with any weather our weird climate chucks at them. Others shiver in a light shower on a warm ish day.

I'm not going to judge anyone for their rugging choices. Not my horse, not my business.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
If it gets chilly then one of mine has a rain sheet on, he has a history of tying up.

The other has just had a blanket clip done with the blanket being quiet high. He is not rugged, might have a rain sheet on if it really chucks it down but he is a hot horse and still has weight to loose.

Plus if I let him get too furry he gets sweaty and then lumpy then angry.....

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
A couple of nights not so long back the two horses had a 50g on each, but nothing right now. They are having hay I'm the field now though, so have plenty of easy forage to keep them warm.

FinkleyAlex

Visit site
Mine lives out, he's been naked (albeit in a fly rug) and is coping very well. He even had a bath this weekend! His coat is getting a little fluffier. Towards October I'll start him in a lightweight if the nights drop below 9 degrees

Equi

Visit site
Not a chance. I am using the colder temps to get off as much weight as possible before they come in for winter and stick weight on with the haylage. There is vertially no grass in the field and i can see weight off for sure. Loving it!

Fiona

Visit site
Horses thermoregulation range is 0 - 25 celsius. So unless clipped, or somewhere that has already had frosts (or those odd few horses that really feel the cold, not as many as one would think!) then there is no need to rug yet. The lowest it has dropped to here is 4 degrees - still within the thermoreg range.

I work for a rug company, it's in our interest for people to rug, but we don't want people over-rugging and cooking their poor ponies either!

Exactly....

I put no fill turnouts on a couple of times in August when we had prolonged rain, but nothing since then.

The two ponies are slightly overweight and the field is sheltered.

Hubbys mare hasn't grown her coat, but the other two are quite furry already..

Fiona

Ali27

Visit site
Just clipped my mare on Sun but only a chaser so she has hair on her back. She won’t have a rug on for a while! Usually tend to put a 50g on at night if temperatures drop but she could lose a few pounds! She is a mega hot pony and does most of the Winter in a 100g even with a hunter clip. Two hairy ponies will do most of the Winter without rugs although little one who was diagnosed with liver failure in May will probably have a 50g on but will see how she does! I totally hate over rugging and don’t understand how people can leave a horse in the same rug all Winter! There are warmer/ colder days and the nights get colder so I really don’t understand why some people don’t rug according to the changing temperature!

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Horses thermoregulation range is 0 - 25 celsius. So unless clipped, or somewhere that has already had frosts (or those odd few horses that really feel the cold, not as many as one would think!) then there is no need to rug yet. The lowest it has dropped to here is 4 degrees - still within the thermoreg range.

I work for a rug company, it's in our interest for people to rug, but we don't want people over-rugging and cooking their poor ponies either!

Potentially daft question, is the above range applicable in the rain too? Mine are generally fine when its dry, but rain has two of them very miserable (the old one can shiver in summer if it rains on her lol).

Louby

Visit site
The flies near us are awful!! So its fly rug and fly mask during the day as without she runs up and down crying to come in and with her injury shes not supposed to run!! But I have to admit she has had a lightweight stable rug on on the odd night, its been blooming cold here especially with the wind. Its that time of year when its warm in the day and going colder at night.

Trinket12

Visit site
I popped Sugar into her rain sheet on Friday as we were getting a deluge of rain! However she decided that it wasn't her colour and I found her naked and the rain sheet halfway up the field on Sunday :rolleyes:

Starzaan

Visit site
Potentially daft question, is the above range applicable in the rain too? Mine are generally fine when its dry, but rain has two of them very miserable (the old one can shiver in summer if it rains on her lol).

It is, but rain lessens their ability to regulate after a while once it penetrates the coat, so in periods of prolonged rain they will always feel the cold more. 😊

doodle

Visit site
I hate these threads as they always turn out judgemental.
Robin is in a 200grm which i expect will have people throwing their hands up in horror. He is out with zero shelter (a paddock with plain electric fencing, no trees or hedges or man made shelter) we are in scotland and it is down to 5 degrees at night and he was telling me he was cold in 100grms.

BMWKIPP

Visit site
Win is full clipped and out at night so been wearing either her no fill rain sheet or 50g. Buzz not clipped and in at night, no rug

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
Yes ive rugged but my horse is on the windy west coast and we have no shelter in the field so if its under 13 i rug a light rug and if its to go under 10 i put a medium on , when the wind howls off the sea and it’s pouring with rain BB feels it he stands shivering at the gate, it may be 12 but the windchill factor coming straight off the sea makes it feel about 6/7

Last edited:

Micky

Visit site
Yes in a 50gm sometimes in day fleece at night, he’s old and feels the cold despite starting to grow his winter woollies..amazing how half an hour away it can be 3 degrees warmer but up in the hills, we get the full force of wind and rain, drizzle and fog...yet down south you’re all still sunbathing on beaches..we’re pretty much the first to get snow up here..we all rug early here...each to their own, different climates different horses needs

only_me

Visit site
lol nope, mine hasn't even started growing his winter coat yet! And he lives out :p

Although this week so far it has been noticeably colder than before but he won't be getting a rug until it starts to freeze as he's plenty of shelter and he is fat!

Interestingly the alpacas are slower at growing their full coat this year and I wonder if they "know" if it's to be a milder autumn this year.

Cocorules

Visit site
I would have been if I still had my old pony as she got cold very easily. My current ponies don't need to be rugged at all, so life is simpler now, but I still really miss my old pony.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
We stopped rugging ours perhaps the year before last (except for newer pony who was gradually weaned off them) and it was the best thing we ever did. I have kept all the rugs and will of course rug them again one day should they need it, but we have stables open 24/7 for shelter and they have as much forage as required. I think in our case that we are all better off for the change. :)