Whose rugging already

Sasana Skye

Visit site
Not unless really wet....I have two very different horses - one who I have to rug if it rains or temperature drops because she will shiver to death, she's 15, mostly TB and very 'thin skinned'. She has a fly rug on for the most part (sweet itch) but if it's wet and windy she gets a lightweight now. I didn't rug her when it was raining the other day but 17 degrees still.

My other horse is hardy and tough and I've actually never seen her shiver and never rugged her in winter no matter what. She's being clipped for the first time this winter as now old enough to be in work and I'm even considering giving her a trace/irish clip but not rugging unless really wet - we'll see how she gets on with that.

elliesweet

Visit site
Unfortunately yes!! Trying got get weight on my TB mare and keeping rugging her means she isn't having to use any energy over night to keep warm. my other youngster is still naked though!! I think every horse is different and no answer is right or wrong if it work for you and your horse that's all that matters!

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Well I don't like over rugging so I am trying to be sensible and only rugging mine at night whilst she is turned out when its 10c or under and/or raining. She has a very lightweight, no fill rain sheet. Sometimes she 'tells me' when she doesn't want a rug on and I respect her wishes if I am not completely sure she needs one myself. She is in her twenties and very thin skinned, her ribs are just visible and she is holding her weight well doing what I am doing.

If she was stabled I would probably put a very thin cooler on or similar but we are in an indoor barn so it's not always necessary and she certainly wouldn't need anything more on, I hate over rugged horses as I think its cruel. That's just a personal opinion and not aimed at anyone in particular.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I think so much depends on exposure of the field and access to shelter. If they're out in an exposed field and there's no choice for them to seek shelter then you've got to edge towards rugging perhaps more than they might need otherwise. If there's shelter available then it's up to them if they want to be daft beggars and stay out in the weather.

This time of year makes me very anxious about keeping The Beast warm. It's this time of year that I've been caught out, let her get cold and then she's tyed up when she's next worked. So currently she's suffering the cruelty of about 50g fill more than she probably actually needs. But I'm insuring against a sudden freezing shower of hail and blast of cold wind.

New lad is toasty warm without a rug and I don't think he's even grown in his coat yet. Despite her colossal size and already having half a winter coat grown in, The Beast would be feeling cold in the armpits and the ears without a rug today. She identifies as a thoroughbred I think.

They are all different and even two fields on the same yard can be quite different microclimates! But you have to look at the horse and see what they are telling you. People do too often rug because they, the owner, feel cold!

albeg

Visit site
But you have to look at the horse and see what they are telling you.

This. There are horses on the yard who have had rain sheets on/off in the last few weeks for various reasons, some are old, some get sore if their back gets cold/wet, etc. On the opposite end I'm mulling over what to do with Bob, even though he's clipped, I'm thinking the rug he's wearing will need to be swapped to something lighter as it's to be quite mild over the nect few days.

meleeka

Visit site
I don’t understand why you’d put a rain sheet on an unclipped horse if it’s not raining, or blowing a gale. They just flatten the coat which stops it doing it’s job imo. If I’m going to rug it’s got to be because they need more warmth than their coat can provide.

LaurenBay

Visit site
Tonight will be the first time my share Horse is rugged at night. He is not clipped but lost a bit of weight as there was not much grass in field and he was living out (now in at night and gaining nicely) so as its meant to be 5 tonight I will pop a fleece on him and owner will turn him out in morning naked. This time of year is a nightmare for rugging, chilly during the night but far too warm in the day time for a rug (well where I am anyway, certainly wouldn't want anything other then a fly rug on)

AandK

Visit site
The two oldies are well covered and getting hairy already so no rugs for a while for them. The 6yo TB has been having a rain sheet on overnight as temps have dropped a bit and I am trying to keep his weight as it is and he is much finer coated than the other two. He only has it on during the day if wet and cooler/windy.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I don’t understand why you’d put a rain sheet on an unclipped horse if it’s not raining, or blowing a gale. They just flatten the coat which stops it doing it’s job imo. If I’m going to rug it’s got to be because they need more warmth than their coat can provide.

I have one at night on my TB who has a very thin coat at the moment, and I don't want him to turn into a woolly bear because I'd like to avoid clipping him.

meleeka

Visit site
I have one at night on my TB who has a very thin coat at the moment, and I don't want him to turn into a woolly bear because I'd like to avoid clipping him.

I can confirm, after using one as a coat (don’t ask!😂) that they don’t keep you warm at all.

Mine have 50g rugs for the same purpose.

OdinsMum

Visit site
Only the odd night where it was rainy and went down to about 7 as I ride in the morning. We moved here in August and it is colder here as we are by the water.

NinjaPony

Visit site
The nighttime temperature is very varied at the moment. When it goes below 10 degrees, both ponies get their fleece. They are currently unclipped but are 18 and 19 and both have hock arthritis so I tend to err on the side of caution. When it’s pouring with rain they get their no fills on during the day. When the nights are milder they are in fly rugs.

ycbm

Visit site
I can confirm, after using one as a coat (don’t ask!😂) that they don’t keep you warm at all.

I wore the human equivalent to a football match tonight and mine did 🧥✔️ :)

meleeka

Visit site
I wore the human equivalent to a football match tonight and mine did 🧥✔️ :)
Did you have a jumper on too? I just had a T shirt on if that makes a difference.

It’s tricky for me as I know I feel the cold more than the average person. It’s taken me years to realise that just because I’m cold it doesn’t automatically follow that my horses are 😂

Northern

Visit site
You’re all cruel 🙄😂
Springtime here and there are still horses with 2-3 filled winter rugs on during 25C sunny days. Yours must all be shiveringly freezing!

*all tongue in cheek of course, mine are unrugged already 😂

I rug according to the daily forecast, if I can’t get out to them twice a day I don’t rug. Mine also sweat at the drop of a hat so don’t need them! In saying that, the 28 year old TB I’m looking after is slightly more rugged up than mine. The last few days we’ve gone from 25c and sunny to 12c and snowing daytime temps. It’s a bonkers time of year 🙄

TPO

Visit site
Rain sheets have been in when it's been heavy showers but warm.

As posted above rain sheets are just that, a thin sheet to keep the horse dry during light rain. They flatten the coat so the horse cant keep itself warm and they provide no heating properties (unless you have a version that isnt that breathable and put it in when it's a warm day; then the horse will (over) heat up quick smart 😏)

50gm when it's two types of weather eg cold and rain or rain/cold & wind for TB and sometimes QH if it's really bad.

TB had 100gm on one night when they stayed out because it was dry but temps dropped to 4 as it was a clear night. QH was naked

Fat cob is always naked and will be getting clipped soon so he can freeze weight off because nothing has worked this summer with the wettest weather ever screwing up the grass and the fields

ycbm

Visit site
Any piece of material which traps air between the horse and itself has warming properties, because air is an insulator. It's how double glazing works. With a lightweight rug there are two trapped air layers, between it and the liner and between the liner and the horse.

Whether the insulating effect is greater than the loss of insulation from flattening the coat depends on how strong the wind is, which would whip air out of the coat, and how thick the coat is.

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
Any piece of material which traps air between the horse and itself has warming properties, because air is an insulator. It's how double glazing works. With a lightweight rug there are two trapped air layers, between it and the liner and between the liner and the horse.

Whether the insulating effect is greater than the loss of insulation from flattening the coat depends on how strong the wind is, which would whip air out of the coat, and how thick the coat is.
And ... there is your lesson in insulation 😂😂

Your posts make me laugh always very informative too 😊

Merrymoles

Visit site

I understand that is the common view but the oldy who shares with my horse is currently in a rain sheet overnight if the temperature is below about eight and he is considerably warmer in the morning than he would be without it. I think the fact that the sheet keeps the wind off and traps a layer of air between him and it means it is quite effective.

My own is having a bib clip today once he's been sedated for his teeth doing and will continue to be unrugged even when clipped because he's a warm soul, carrying a bit of extra timber and already developing a coat like a yak. Last winter he never had anything heavier than 100gm even in the worse weather, whereas the old boy will need to be kept warm or he drops weight alarmingly.

luckyoldme

Visit site
Such a controversial subject. I drive up and down the country and see horses rugged up all the time. Im sorry but as a country we definately over rug. I know i will get slated for saying it but in the numbers i see and the temperatures i see there really is no excuse. Its all about the owners feeling better when the horses would be fine without.

rara007

Visit site
Sometimes a flyrug with a waterproof back, sometimes a normal fly rug, sometimes naked, sometimes 50g rug. He’s used the 50g for odd nights most of the year tbh!

TPO

Visit site
Rugs/sheets stop the piloercerion of hair and it is that process that "traps" air.

Rain sheets are principally designed for when its wet (ie showers), like a wind breaker nylon jacket (which will keep you warm initially it's not very breathable but then that sweat turns cold and damp...) again not designed for warmth.

Rugs with fill are principally designed for when its colder and the horses own system isnt enough to keep it warm because of the circumstances in which the majority of horses are kept e.g. not feral with unrestricted grazing and plenty of shelter.

elliesweet

Visit site
Such a controversial subject. I drive up and down the country and see horses rugged up all the time. Im sorry but as a country we definately over rug. I know i will get slated for saying it but in the numbers i see and the temperatures i see there really is no excuse. Its all about the owners feeling better when the horses would be fine without.

I do have to slightly disagree with you. I was always the same until I got my mare now she is in a medium weight over night and if I don't rug her she drops weight and tucks up!! I think it really depends on the horse, my other horse isnt rgged and he is fine.

luckyoldme

Visit site
I do have to slightly disagree with you. I was always the same until I got my mare now she is in a medium weight over night and if I don't rug her she drops weight and tucks up!! I think it really depends on the horse, my other horse isnt rgged and he is fine.
I know there are specific reasons for specific horses..i get that haven taken my own oldie to 30 year old...its just that there cant be as many as i see. I drive up and down the countey and you can see them rugged as soon as theres a slight chill . Its nuts...half of them will be wesring the same rug when it gets below freezing.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
My gelding still has a full summer coat, hes always been late to develop winter woollies. Our yard is on top a hill, its always colder and as you drive down. On my way to work, down hill, the cars temperature gage goes up 2/3 degrees every morning.

I noticed the other morning he felt cold on his skin in between his back legs (as high as possible between his back legs) where as my other horse was really warm although has a fluffy coat. I put a light weight on over night, and felt the next morning (same temperature, wind very similar) and he felt warm. His armpits also felt warm.

I always thought a light weight just laid the coat flat.. but there is a definite difference in warmth if hes in a light weight or naked first thing in the morning. Can anyone explain that, am I mad?

Merrymoles

Visit site
I know there are specific reasons for specific horses..i get that haven taken my own oldie to 30 year old...its just that there cant be as many as i see. I drive up and down the countey and you can see them rugged as soon as theres a slight chill . Its nuts...half of them will be wesring the same rug when it gets below freezing.

I think there are two main reasons - people who think because they are a bit chilly, their horse is too and people who want to stop the winter coat from growing as much as they can so they don't need to clip etc.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
people who want to stop the winter coat from growing as much as they can so they don't need to clip etc.

Which annoys me every time, as rugging has no effect on their winter coat. Its all to do with sunlight hours and been proven.
Lady I know rugs in a heavy weights on her cobs from September, as she still believes it stops the winter coat for showing. When in fact they are just all sweaty in the field suffering. Madness!

Last edited: