Whose rugging already

Follysmum

Visit site
I haven’t rugged yet but I have seen so many that have, even in the day.

My friend has even had a medium on hers at one point, because she says it was cold! She’s always cold herself so that’s her reasoning! I rolled my eyes at her!

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I've been rugging for weeks. 50g moving onto 100g.

It's cold up here!! And windy. And my field has no proper shelter. And I do rug The Beast as if she were a much lighter horse because of the tying up. My new, chubby normal coblet hasn't got a rug on yet!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
TB has a rainsheet on at night at the mo. It's been single figures at night and the fields are exposed. I'm feeding him up a bit, be silly to let him get cold. It's still warm here in the day though.
All the mares are naked and will be all winter at this rate ;) If K comes back into work this side of christmas then I'll clip her and she'll get rugged.

beingachicken

Visit site
No. I did dig a light weight out a couple of weeks ago during a wet windy spell just overnight but it’s warmed up again now so it only did a night or two.

Shavings

Visit site
nope! Chance is naked and looking good, the cold spell has done be a favour and knocked the last few pounds of chance...
maybe i sound winter out... might finally active body goals.. although i may get a public indecency issue if i went "rug-less"

PapaverFollis

Visit site
We're reaching the heady heights of 12 degrees C today... but between the wind and the intermittent spells of horizontal hail and rain the "feels like" is somewhere around 8 degrees. I'm definitely getting 4 seasons in a day today though because it's glorious sunshine now. Still not rugging the normal one... just Beast cos she's special.

Tash88

Visit site
I'm in Surrey where it isn't that cold, my retired WB x TB who lives out is still naked 24/7 and looking fab, has hardly started growing a coat yet either.

My Cob X is on box rest at the moment and will be for another month, he's in a sheet at night because he does feel the cold a bit and he can't move around to keep warm. He's always naked in the day though and I make sure my chronic over-rugger YO takes his off in the morning (he's on assisted DIY).

I can't bear over rugging, none of hers have been uncovered at all during the summer and then she wonders why they're always itchy, it's because they're hot and bothered!

Starzaan

Visit site
Horses thermoregulation range is 0 - 25 celsius. So unless clipped, or somewhere that has already had frosts (or those odd few horses that really feel the cold, not as many as one would think!) then there is no need to rug yet. The lowest it has dropped to here is 4 degrees - still within the thermoreg range.

I work for a rug company, it's in our interest for people to rug, but we don't want people over-rugging and cooking their poor ponies either!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Ha, LW, I was just going to mention the Rambo Summer Series rug, it’s brilliant at this time of year. My PSSM /arthritic mare feels the cold, so she needs extra help when it’s chilly. The min/max shows a 14 hour period from 7pm on Fri evening to 9am Sat, I popped the Summer series rug on overnight without the neck cover and she was grand. It usually comes off during the day, though, unless it’s wet. For those who don’t know this rug, it has mesh sides (the navy bits).

C4A087A9-31A2-45E2-BB26-2D0FFF048C85.jpeg

39078386-1F9E-4183-8D1C-EA36378D6620.jpeg

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
The two fatties will be rug less for quite some time!
Rog has had a light weight on for just over a week. He's 30 and it has got cooler here. Obviously the day after all our rugs went away to get washed!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Some days mine has had the Shires 50/50 sheet on, so mesh at the sides and waterproof on top. Other days, like today she is still in a mesh fly sheet.

At night either a summer sheet or 100g (we have had frost on two mornings already).

HashRouge

Visit site
Nope. One won't wear a rug at all, and the other I will play it by ear. I think it's still very mild, plus we're as far south as you can get and ponies have good natural shelter and free access to stables.

ihatework

Visit site
The 3yo is fat, it doesn’t get a rug. In fact he could do with a nice cold wet spell.

The big fella has been rugged the majority of the time - he’s out overnight so wears a summer sheet or a 50g fill, weather dependant. He’s exceptionally fit, slim, fine coated, we pump hard feed into him and he isn’t greedy on forage so we keep him warm. He has it off during the day in the stable.
Just about to start letting him down a bit so hopefully he can generate a bit of fluff & grease and get a few weeks out nekkid before the weather turns

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
No - my thin skinned ISH is toasty in her growing coat - won't be rugging her til end of next month when she's clipped - unless we get extreme temperatures obv

windand rain

Visit site
In a rainsheet because she is old and has been bathed two or three times in the past week or so I am concerned that if it rains she wont be waterproof for a few days