WHP's

jrp204

Visit site
Ok, our boy, rising 7, who was supposed to go eventing has decided that he prefers not to go xc. He is regularly placed at BSJA up to Discovery (so far) and has recently won his first BD Novice comp.
Daughters instructor has said she reckons he would make a good worker as he is very careful over a fence etc. I know nothing about showing, we have done some unaff whp where he won both classes but i'm not sure who you affiliate to, heights of pony/horse and jumps. He measured (very very roughly) 156 with shoes. Do they have ride judges?
Any info would be very helpful, it would be another string to his bow and hopefully will make him more sellable.
P1013173.jpg

Sorry, pic is rather huge!!

Zebedee

Visit site
Good stamp for WHP, but if that is a capped hock on the nearside that would go against him at the higher levels.
If he's 156 with shoes I'm guessing he hasn't been measured officially on a pad, & with his feet trimmed normally? You may find that he'll measure in at 153. If not the intermediate WHP classes go up to 158cm anyway.
WHPs are not ridden by the judge, instead any called back after jumping will be required to do an indivual show, & then have the saddle removed to be run out in hand.

jrp204

Visit site
No, its not a capped hock, the hair sticks up a bit as he has a small scar there although it not too noticeable and doesn't affect him in anyway.

Zebedee

Visit site
Ah yes. Our cob had a similar scar on a knee & we used a fine comb & nail scissors to reduce the excess hair around the scar, but managed to leave enough to cover the scar itself !
In terms of who you affilate to it's the BSPS, & their rulebook can be accessed from their website. I think most of the BSPS classes ( below county level) are usually open to non members as well though, so you could try some first to see how you get on.

Last edited:

MissSBird

Visit site
If you can get him in at 153cm (15hh) that would be good, as it's always better to be the biggest in the class. These can be ridden by jockeys of up to 20 years old. If not, then the intermediate class is most appropriate, and the jockey can be up to 25 years for this class.

Unlike in BE, you don't actually need to affiliate (usually) until you qualify for a larger championship, which is a good way to save money. If you check out the websites of BSPS (British Show Pony Society) and PUK (Ponies UK), you should be able to access schedules for the area local to you.

Agricultural county shows are a law unto themselves. Its just a case of getting hold of the schedule and seeing what they require beforehand.

Enjoy!