Why am I so afraid of livery yards?!?!

Fransurrey

Visit site
I'm driving myself mad at the moment. I was assured that all would be ok with me staying on my rented land, but the house hasn't sold and the only interest wanted the land with it. There's a real chance that I will have to move off, now and I'm devastated. Rented land round here is so rare and the location I have a real spiritual connection with - I bolted back here when I split up with my ex 8 years ago.

There is a local yard that is only minutes walking up the lane, so essentially same place, same hacking. YM is utterly lovely and when I catch her at a busy time, she even phones later to apologise for being busy and not making me a cuppa!! She has a spare stable coming up, which is rare and only due to someone relocating far away. Haven't known anyone to leave the yard for being unhappy. Only 4 other liveries, who I've met over tea and all seem nice. She's keeping it for me while I think about things and when she's got time, said she'll sit down with me and go over the deal properly.

But I'm still not sleeping. I still dread keeping horses under someone else's rules. Possibly needing to stable sometimes (they did turn out in snow, so not in 24/7). I don't do change well. I stop eating for days when I change job!

Just musing aloud, really. Has anyone moved onto a yard after a long time (13 years in July), absolutely shat themselves about it, then had a ball?!? Reassure me, people! The stress nearly lot me a friend, this morning, so need to get a handle on it!

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
Sorry wasn't finished... While your still in your house so u can see what it's like first? It might also be less stressful to move horse first as moving house is really stressful.

Fransurrey

Visit site
Sorry, wasn't clear. My house is fine. I live elsewhere. The house was my late landlady and needs to be sold to pay death duties and give money to the leeches *cough* I mean relatives. The land would go to the main beneficiary, which is a kindly neighbour who looked after her.

I don't know how long, as the house is still for sale without the land attached, but as far as I know, it would be months. Am thinking of paying for both for two months, but it would be costly. Actually have two ponies, which would have to share stable if they needed to be in for any time. It's an extra £230 a month. Vacancy comes at the end of Feb, but I guess she needs to know well before, as if I don't take it, she needs to advertise. Paying for both seems most likely scenario, but I just feel so stupid for stressing about it so much, when some people move yards all the time!

teasle

Visit site
I expect you are afraid because you have read of other peoples bad experiences on here . Just get it in prespective. I mean would you ever get involved with a man if you read agony columns.

Jill Crewe

Visit site
Has anyone moved onto a yard after a long time (13 years in July), absolutely shat themselves about it, then had a ball?!? Reassure me, people! The stress nearly lot me a friend, this morning, so need to get a handle on it!

Me :)

I used to keep my old pony at my parents house. For 15 years it was just me and him. His field was at the bottom of my garden. He was PTS a year and a half ago. My new horse is kept on a livery yard near the town that I live in. I was a bit worried as I'm quite shy and have always preferred to keep myself to myself, enjoy spending time on my own and loved exploring the countryside on my pony..on my own.

I've been on the livery yard 3 months now and I love it. It helps that it's a lovely yard but it sounds like this one you are on about is too. Nobody interferes but there is always support and help if you want it. The YM is lovely and is on site all day every day. When I'm at work she sends me text messages as if they're from my horse to tell me how his day is going :D There's a lovely mix of people, there's a communal area where everybody sits and drinks tea and chats. At first as I was getting used to the new routine and being careful of being over polite etc and it took me a little while to feel comfortable - but now I love it and have to be careful that I don't waste hours up there not really doing much.

It's nice to have the support group and people around you with shared interest. Maybe you could go up there and hang out a bit and get to know people.

Burmilla

Visit site
What is it, exactly, that is stressing you out so much? You are not in immediate need to move, but it is likely that you will at some point. I am sure that you have looked for other rented land in your area and will continue to do so. Is there anywhere else, other than the nearby livery, that you could put your two? Things re land and property sales usually move very slowly, unless put up for auction, which tends to process much more quickly. I guess you have two choices atm: move to lovely yard owner's yard, and be clear what the rules are, and negotiate over any you are not able to agree to, or take it to the wire, hoping that you can find some land to rent in the meantime. Good luck with whatever you decide

Fransurrey

Visit site
Thanks, Jill, that is reassuring, it does sound a similar set up as she's on site all day, too. Teasle, I don't read agony columns, lol, but get your point! I do need to man up a bit!

Jill Crewe

Visit site
Thanks, Jill, that is reassuring, it does sound a similar set up as she's on site all day, too. Teasle, I don't read agony columns, lol, but get your point! I do need to man up a bit!

Great with YM being on site all day...just that sense of reassurance. Any sign of any problems with the horses get spotted straight away. Also if for any reason you can't get up there - there is that flexibility that someone else can step in. I am on DIY livery but can pay YM to do odd jobs as and when needed which is just great.

Makes me wonder how I managed before :)

Fransurrey

Visit site
Sorry Burmilla, we crossed. Think it's being with people and having to change routine. I'm not great socially, too many scars from being bullied, I think, but looked all over last summer when she died. I didn't find anywhere at all. Round here people seem to want part or full livery. I did find one other yard, but it was horrific. Judgemental manager and liveries, fencing falling down, leaking stables, ragwort, the works! You have highlighted another scenario, though in that if I don't settle on the yard, it's not a life sentence and I can move on! :)

tinap

Visit site
I had a field of my own for about 10yrs. In the autumn of 2011, I was utterly fed up of no electric, chasing hay & straw & the daughter having no-one to ride with. At the time she was riding a youngster for a friend who owns a livery yard & we were taking our pony there to use their school too. She suggested we move there permanently.

It was a horrible decision to make. It had just been me & the daughter for a very long time, doing things in our own way at our own pace.

I sat & worked it out & although the cost would be slightly dearer (about £10 a week) we would not have to buy hay or straw as it was included & we had the added extra of an arena & better hacking.

I was so scared of jumping in & not liking it or getting on with the other liveries though. So, I arranged a 2 week trial.

After the 2 weeks, we moved for good, gave up the land & we have now been here 15 months. We both love it - as does the pony :D things are so much easier & its not lonely anymore!

Yes there are some things that do my head in but they are very few & not things that are major but I don't regret moving for a minute xxx

lottiepony

Visit site
I've done similar to this, for 5 years I kept my horse at home then moved her to a family's yard where I worked so still had complete control as it were. Then when I changed jobs I had to move me and her and ended up on a livery yard. I was exactly like you I couldn't sleep etc as was so worried. It can work and as long as you are really happy with how the yard is run then it shouldn't be a problem esp as this seems quite a small yard. The important thing is to ask every single question you can think of and see if you like the answer. Some yards work and some dont my previous yard didn't really suit me or my horse although I made some lovely friends there. The yard I'm on now is quite frankly perfect for me and my horse so couldn't be happier. It can work don't panic :)

Bright_Spark

Visit site
Well, I've just recently moved to a livery yard and can safely say I love it. Like you, I've been renting land for a few years and the thought of moving to a livery yard was horrifying. But the YM and liveries are lovely and I've done more with my horses in the past month than I had for the past couple of years thanks to their help and encouragement!

I would say to give it a go- you then won't be having to worry about finding somewhere at the last minute if you have to move off. But at the same time if you do not feel happy there then you do not have to stay.

Potato!

Visit site
I'm at the moment doing the same thing. moving this weekend to livery from a field I've loved renting but I need electric water and a school.