Why are citronella fly sprays back on the market again?

Orchardbeck

Visit site
And why were they banned in the first place, can anyone tell me? I went to buy naf with deet fly spray, only to find the citronella version back again. What's going on?

Kaylum

Visit site
Some had a bad reaction to citronella. No idea why its back. Make my own from citronella you buy from health food shops. Lasts all summer for a fraction of the price that you pay in the tack shops.

nuttybird

New User
Visit site
It was all do do with EU Regulations on Health and Safety, and that no product could be used as a Fly Spray if it contained Citronella. There was a loophole though that if the product was a Coat Spray then in could contain Citronella. If you look at the Naf Off Citronella bottle it does not refer to it as a Fly Spray but as a Citronella Spray for summer coats. Brussels gone mad.:)

MissMoo

Visit site
It was all do do with EU Regulations on Health and Safety, and that no product could be used as a Fly Spray if it contained Citronella. There was a loophole though that if the product was a Coat Spray then in could contain Citronella. If you look at the Naf Off Citronella bottle it does not refer to it as a Fly Spray but as a Citronella Spray for summer coats. Brussels gone mad.:)

This! :)

nuttybird

New User
Visit site
It is quite a few years now that it was banned as a fly spray. It was do with regulations that if it was a fly spray it needed to undergo a lot of regulation to license it for use because it was classed as a pesticide.

Amaranta

Visit site

Exactly this - and I agree Brussels yet again :rolleyes:

BBP

Visit site
I think because it is an ingredient and not a brand, no one company was willing to pay for it to undergo all the required testing just for all other companies to go and use it, so it never passed. Selling it as a coat spray was a great idea, really handy that my coat spray just so happens to keep the flies at bay. Great stuff.

Firewell

Visit site
I think it was all a bit ridiculous tbh! I got some new face moisturiser the other day and one of the ingredients was Citronella oil. So it's allowed in human face cream but not in horse fly spray lol. Madness.

fatpiggy

Visit site
The trouble is, for some people its a great ingredient and a good repellent - unless your horse is allergic to it as mine is, and then its positively hazardous and buying a product which doesn't contain it (especially the cheaper brands) used to be really difficult. My poor old girl came out in welts all over, her skin was red hot and she couldn't bear to be touched. After I washed it off all her fur fell out - I'd effectively given her a chemichal burn. I couldn't have felt any worse about it if I'd chucked acid all over her.