Why are horses so complicated!???

Jericho

Visit site
Soooo my daughter at 12 yrs is currently on her fab 13.2hh pony having an absolute ball but outgrowing him quickly plus at 16yrs old I am slightly concerned he is starting to find the higher levels of dressage and jumping heights at a bit more challenging. I started putting feelers out for next pony 14.2hh ish for her to play with over the summer with the view to being main ride next year. However much much earlier than I anticipated we were offered a highly recommended pony. He is fab - right height, right age, breed, lovely temperament, has done higher level dressage, jumping seems honest and genuine etc. He is on a trial to the view we take him over permanently (we don't have a lot of money to buy ponies outright) but here comes the but .... If I had to buy him I probably wouldn't .... But only because there are numerous issues which include history sarcoids which have been removed, long backed, a very short stride and very itchy (he rubs everything everywhere!) and he is meant to crib slightly after a feed which I haven't seen yet. The owner admitted that probably he wouldn't pass a vetting .... But he is lovely....

What would you do......?

be positive

Visit site
I have just replied to another thread about buying a cribber so thought I would come on and give my thoughts on this one which is a very different type, if the pony is capable and proven at a high level, not sure what you mean by high level but presumably PC teams, at least lower level BE/ BD/BS then I would not be put off, the sarcoids have been successfully treated and gone? long backed should be no problem, short stride may be a sign that he is a bit wrong but may just be him and how he goes, has been trained, sweet itch can be managed with care, the cribbing may be related to ulcers or just him being a bit stressy, careful management, adlib forage and a good routine may be enough to reduce it.
If he does his job and is a long term loan, cheap purchase then factor in potential vets bills that may not be covered by insurance and see if the benefits outweigh the negatives, good proven 14.2's are usually very desirable and come with hefty price tags, he may prove to be a bargain if you don't have the money to buy but can afford the running costs of one that may be higher maintenance over the years.

L&M

Visit site
No pony will be perfect - better a one with a few minor confirmation issues and annoying habits, than one that will buck your daughter off.......

Makemineacob

Visit site
I would buy him if he was right for the job you want him to do. As others have said, management of any issues is the key, the sellers have certainly outlined his issues by the sounds of it and at least you would be getting a pony who you know about, rather than ending up with a pony who's issues have not been disclosed.

Best of luck, he sounds like a gem!