Why are some riding instructors like this?

Marigold4

Visit site
So today I signed up for a cross country schooling clinic on a youngish horse who's never jumped solid fences before and only started jumping at all a few weeks ago. Signed up for a beginners group. Looking forward to the clinic and feeling positive at the start as the show jumping is going well. Aim was to have fun and let the horse see some solid fences. Instructor was determined I should pick up a fast canter and ride fast at the jumps. i wanted to let her see them first and give her time to have a think. We trotted into some jumps, cantered off the other side or cantered in gently. Other rider in the group said she couldn't jump but turns out she used to do Open Classes. Felt very negative by the end of it, even though horse behaved perfectly, no stops, didn't touch a fence, straight in the water, over small ditches, down steps. By the end of the session she stopped just short of calling me names but there was no doubt what she thought of me!

I can't believe I paid all that money to have someone make me feel such a loser! Horse was fab, but I feel like giving up!

Muddywellies

Visit site
I once had a RC clinic with a very well known trainer (standing in for normal trainer), but unknown to me. I have an incredibly giddy exciteable and nappy Welshie. The instructor was making us all go round the arena over the elaborately laid out poles, in single file, closely following each other. This was a very fun game (race!) to my pony who was getting more and more out of control. I wanted to walk over the poles to try to settle pony down. He wouldnt let me and blamed my ineffective riding. It really did get out of hand and my pony's old owner who happened to be there, and is an extremely competent young rider, hopped on. First word as pony shot off with her was 'Sh1t!!'. Instructor backed off and let her walk over them. I've never forgiven that instructor for not reading the situation and giving me a chance. He scared me and made me feel stupid.
I should add, the normal trainer let's us go one at once to avoid that very situation. Can't answer your question but I can sympathise.

Marigold4

Visit site
Yes, I told her beforehand and at least twice during the session.

Lucky you, View. I don't have anyone like that to go with me and my old instructor sold up and doesn't teach anymore.
So, correct me if I've got this wrong: you didn't do what the instructor suggested, did your own thing and are surprised that the instructor didn't think you'd done very well? Strange attitude.....
So, correct me if I've got this wrong: you didn't do what the instructor suggested, did your own thing and are surprised that the instructor didn't think you'd done very well? Strange attitude.....

Ha ha. Well, I suppose that's true. Would you have pick up a fast canter at solid fences with a very inexperienced horse. You are very brave then. I am not.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

To be fair, C, I wouldn't expect a beginners group to start by going into fences in a fast canter. I would have done what Marigold did if I was on a complete cross country virgin.

Flame_

Visit site
I can't believe I paid all that money to have someone make me feel such a loser! Horse was fab, but I feel like giving up!

You and this trainer are not compatible. Store the name in your memory as someone never to waste your money on again and move on.

I would start off fixed fences at your own pace on your own either on a farm ride or cross country schooling.

be positive

Visit site
To be fair, C, I wouldn't expect a beginners group to start by going into fences in a fast canter. I would have done what Marigold did if I was on a complete cross country virgin.

As an instructor I am shocked that anyone would suggest cantering, let alone a 'fast canter' into fixed fences on a first, probably 2nd/ 3rd , outing, I have them walking, if a bit keen, then popping into trot very quietly, have them learning to lock on, take their time and learn, if a bit backy off or stuffy they will canter away but not canter in until I can see they are really switched on, coming in fast only encourages them to rush, possibly run out and in the long run many will not really have learned the job properly.

Marigold4

Visit site
You and this trainer are not compatible. Store the name in your memory as someone never to waste your money on again and move on.

I would start off fixed fences at your own pace on your own either on a farm ride or cross coun,

Yes, on reflection I should have done this and have done in the past when starting a young horse. Next time just me, horse and trusty husband in tow!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I don't think you are pathetic at all. You tried to make your point twice during the lesson and you were ignored. You went and did your own thing instead of frightening yourself and your novice horse and that takes a courage of its own. You had no other option than to leave the lesson and completely waste your money.

honetpot

Visit site
It takes guts to tell someone they do not know your horse or you and to back off and give you some space. I have seen a FBHS have someone in tears which was completely avoidable. The person also tried to shame me, but I was a bit older and not so easily intimidated.
I think a lot have the set lesson and have no idea how to adapt to what is in front of them or even ask what you want out of the training session and set achievable goals.

View

Visit site
Marigold,

You are NOT pathetic, and given the further information you have given, you were trying to do your best and you did give him a sensible introduction to solid fences.

So you have learnt that you and this trainer are not meant for each other. Well that's a positive.

Can you look for a trainer who has a more gentle, confidence building approach to horse and rider and see if you can book a private session before or after the clinic sessions?

Ambers Echo

Visit site
No you are not pathetic. And it is hard to tell an instructor how to teach. I show young horses fences by circling them on both reins. I let them sniff or nose bump the jump and then I trot in. It is ALL about confidence in my view and a horse needs time to see and understand the question. So a beginners group is slow and steady with plenty of time for each rider to give the horse enough time to feel good about what he is doing. I have learned from bad experiences to occasionally ignore instructors that tell me to do things I consider bad for the horse! That is not arrogance I don't think, just my horse's welfare is more important than their ego. I suspect you were in the wrong group which is not your fault at all. True beginner groups are at a far slower overall pace so it's not easy for an instructor to teach people who could link lines out of a decent XC canter at the same time as people who are introducing their horses to jumps. It's a totally different task.

paddi22

Visit site
in clinics now I always ask the trainer what their theory is for what they are asking me to do. why would an xc trainer want a horse who'd never jumped a solid fence before to canter in, dod they explain why? that goes against anything any xc rider would do for a young horse first time ? how qualified was this instructor?

ihatework

Visit site
You are not pathetic at all, but for goodness sake don’t be booking on a clinic with an unknown instructor for a first Xc next time!!!
Private session (or shared with a friend) with someone you know & trust and where you can take it at your preferred pace.
It will benefit you, the horse and won’t hold up others on the clinic

Marigold4

Visit site
As an instructor I am shocked that anyone would suggest cantering, let alone a 'fast canter' into fixed fences on a first, probably 2nd/ 3rd , outing, I have them walking, if a bit keen, then popping into trot very quietly, have them learning to lock on, take their time and learn, if a bit backy off or stuffy they will canter away but not canter in until I can see they are really switched on, coming in fast only encourages them to rush, possibly run out and in the long run many will not really have learned the job properly.

She also made me gallop her around first to "gizz her up"!

Flicker

Visit site
I used to work in learning and development. If I had been in the training room and someone I was training came away from the experience as demoralised as you, and called themselves ‘pathetic’, that would be my failure as a trainer. The role of a trainer is to work with the person (or animal) that they have in front of them and figure out the best way to facilitate the exchange of knowledge or skill. It is NOT just about telling someone what to do and expecting them to just get on with it.
Your instructor may be a good rider, she may be a good trainer for other types of horses and riders, but she is not a good trainer for you and your horse.
Well done for giving your horse a good day out. Your next step should be to find a trainer who can adapt their style to your needs.

ihatework

Visit site
She also made me gallop her around first to "gizz her up"!

To play devils advocate (bearing in mind I didn’t see the session) but if a horse came in completely switched off and behind the leg, then that might be an entirely appropriate action. Because even if you are wanting a quiet trot & pop, they still have to be on the aid

Ceriann

Visit site
I used an instructor for a young horse and she started to over focus on our canter transitions - admittedly poor. I was told off (or so i felt) for not pushing her more (4 year old green IDx) and in our last lesson ahe got the lunge whip out. I specifically told her not to use it - despite saying she wouldn’t, she did and sent my horse bronking down the long side of the arena. I sympathise hugely with your experience but it sounds like, despite the odd instruction, you did rather well. Don’t let it get you down - put it down to experience and try a one on one session with a recommended trainer for your next session.

Marigold4

Visit site
To play devils advocate (bearing in mind I didn’t see the session) but if a horse came in completely switched off and behind the leg, then that might be an entirely appropriate action. Because even if you are wanting a quiet trot & pop, they still have to be on the aid
She isn't behind the leg though, she's always described as forward

Marigold4

Visit site
I used to work in learning and development. If I had been in the training room and someone I was training came away from the experience as demoralised as you, and called themselves ‘pathetic’, that would be my failure as a trainer. The role of a trainer is to work with the person (or animal) that they have in front of them and figure out the best way to facilitate the exchange of knowledge or skill. It is NOT just about telling someone what to do and expecting them to just get on with it.
Your instructor may be a good rider, she may be a good trainer for other types of horses and riders, but she is not a good trainer for you and your horse.
Well done for giving your horse a good day out. Your next step should be to find a trainer who can adapt their style to your needs.

Agreed. I am a teacher myself and would be mortified if I made someone feel like this. There's a lot more to good teaching than being a good rider yourself. You need to also understand the process of learning - for horse and for rider.

Marigold4

Visit site
I used an instructor for a young horse and she started to over focus on our canter transitions - admittedly poor. I was told off (or so i felt) for not pushing her more (4 year old green IDx) and in our last lesson ahe got the lunge whip out. I specifically told her not to use it - despite saying she wouldn’t, she did and sent my horse bronking down the long side of the arena. I sympathise hugely with your experience but it sounds like, despite the odd instruction, you did rather well. Don’t let it get you down - put it down to experience and try a one on one session with a recommended trainer for your next session.
That's terrible - and we pay for this??