Why are some riding instructors like this?

Marigold4

Visit site
No you are not pathetic. And it is hard to tell an instructor how to teach. I show young horses fences by circling them on both reins. I let them sniff or nose bump the jump and then I trot in. It is ALL about confidence in my view and a horse needs time to see and understand the question. So a beginners group is slow and steady with plenty of time for each rider to give the horse enough time to feel good about what he is doing. I have learned from bad experiences to occasionally ignore instructors that tell me to do things I consider bad for the horse! That is not arrogance I don't think, just my horse's welfare is more important than their ego. I suspect you were in the wrong group which is not your fault at all. True beginner groups are at a far slower overall pace so it's not easy for an instructor to teach people who could link lines out of a decent XC canter at the same time as people who are introducing their horses to jumps. It's a totally different task.
Yes, I think having the other member of the group being capable of Open Classes upped the game somewhat! What was she doing signing up for beginners classes? She was a GP dressage rider with a strpng BE record!

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
I used an instructor for a young horse and she started to over focus on our canter transitions - admittedly poor. I was told off (or so i felt) for not pushing her more (4 year old green IDx) and in our last lesson ahe got the lunge whip out. I specifically told her not to use it - despite saying she wouldn’t, she did and sent my horse bronking down the long side of the arena. I sympathise hugely with your experience but it sounds like, despite the odd instruction, you did rather well. Don’t let it get you down - put it down to experience and try a one on one session with a recommended trainer for your next session.

That's awful!
Were you on the horse?

CMcC

Visit site
So today I signed up for a cross country schooling clinic on a youngish horse who's never jumped solid fences before and only started jumping at all a few weeks ago. Signed up for a beginners group. Looking forward to the clinic and feeling positive at the start as the show jumping is going well. Aim was to have fun and let the horse see some solid fences. i wanted to let her see them first and give her time to have a think. We trotted into some jumps, cantered off the other side or cantered in gently. horse behaved perfectly, no stops, didn't touch a fence, straight in the water, over small ditches, down steps.

Horse was fab

Marigold I have taken the liberty of editing all the negative bits out of your post. Re-read it, looks like a really, positive and worthwhile outing to me.

I don’t know how old you are but I find that the older I get the less I care what other people think and just do what I want to do in my own way. Aim is to do a bit more than last time, enjoy myself and get home in one piece. Couldn’t care less what other people think.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
She isn't behind the leg though, she's always described as forward
I have similar to ride and we have done limited xc last season as we have had a few control issues, down to bitting and being green.
But, I'm old, grouchy, and a 'retired, broken' coach.
In my favour (due to above), I will a,stop or withdraw if I feel things are out of my control as generally I don't take controversial instructions which are not helpful to my mount and b, will politely ask why xyz is required.
That said, I know I need pushing on occasions and will hold fast if explanations will help.
Chalk this one up, the horse did ok despite what was imparted to you.
There are many clinics going on at present and am sure you'll find an instructor more suited.

Marigold4

Visit site
It takes guts to tell someone they do not know your horse or you and to back off and give you some space. I have seen a FBHS have someone in tears which was completely avoidable. The person also tried to shame me, but I was a bit older and not so easily intimidated.
I think a lot have the set lesson and have no idea how to adapt to what is in front of them or even ask what you want out of the training session and set achievable goals.
Marigold I have taken the liberty of editing all the negative bits out of your post. Re-read it, looks like a really, positive and worthwhile outing to me.

I don’t know how old you are but I find that the older I get the less I care what other people think and just do what I want to do in my own way. Aim is to do a bit more than last time, enjoy myself and get home in one piece. Couldn’t care less what other people think.
Ha ha, I am quite old but have never developed that skill of caring less. Probably never will. But have happy healthy horses so that's a consolation!?

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
She also made me gallop her around first to "gizz her up"!

Well oh dear me, she is a real gobeen isn't she! Well what a pity there isn't some way of withdrawing a licence to teach. I firmly believe ALL registered/trained instructors should have a license to teach, that is reviewed annually and part of that review would include observing lessons. And it should be possible to complain to the authority that issues those licences exactly this sort of third rate instructor.

I know it will never happen, far too expensive to set up and run effectively - but what a difference it would make, that would soon weed out the wheat from the chaff.

PS - I think you and your horse did just grand - move along and find a better more clued up instructor and just keep reminding yourself how very well your young horse performed under less than ideal circumstances.

thefarsideofthefield

Visit site
I went on a Lucinda Green XC clinic at Somerford Park many years ago - absolutely brilliant . She made everybody trot into their fences - regardless of ability or experience . You didn't move on into canter until you proved you could do it in trot .

You are absolutely not pathetic - you trusted your gut instincts and did what you thought was best for both you and your horse . The result was that your horse had a fun , safe , relaxed and educational day out . And what did you learn ? You learnt that you know enough about what you're doing to trust your gut in future .

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I went on a Lucinda Green XC clinic at Somerford Park many years ago - absolutely brilliant . She made everybody trot into their fences - regardless of ability or experience . You didn't move on into canter until you proved you could do it in trot .

You are absolutely not pathetic - you trusted your gut instincts and did what you thought was best for both you and your horse . The result was that your horse had a fun , safe , relaxed and educational day out . And what did you learn ? You learnt that you know enough about what you're doing to trust your gut in future .

I was made to walk first on my Lucinda clinic ??, Topaz may have pissed off with me though ??.

I agree with the others, you did a great job, instructor is clearly not for you (or perhaps any novice, green horse starting xc, we’re a year in and we still trot to new questions!).

Trust your instincts for your horse, I have been there with a soul destroying instructor and never again!

Roxylola

Visit site
When I'm starting horses I never ask any questions that cant be answered from trot. I cant speak for the instructor today, maybe they felt you needed to ride more positively, maybe they thought you looked further along than you are. Who knows, maybe they felt you were a bit windy and just needed to crack on, afterall a true xc canter is a fast one.
Either way, file the experience- you gave the horse a positive time, you know that's not the instructor for you in future

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I had a clinic instructor this weekend during the debrief at the end of the lesson tell me 'your horse is more like a 3yo, he has no muscle, no topline, he has no back end, he isn't straight in the trot, he is unbalanced in the canter and he is underpowered - but if he did trot at full power you wouldn't be able to ride it anyway'.

It's not all untrue, but it was said in a very unneccessary way, and has had quite an impact on my confidence with getting out and about in future. I had also gone into the lesson and said firstly that this was our first outing, he has only been in work since Jan and did nothing for years before that and that we are a work in progress, so I didn't pretend to be something I'm not.. It stung and I could quite happily have gotten off and cried to be honest so I completely understand how you feel. Unfortunately I could tell from his demeanour too that I think he had decided within 2 mins of seeing us that I was a numpty who had gone out and bought a flashy, expensive horse that I can't ride one side of - which as everyone knows, is not even nearly the case as he was cheap, I happened upon him and I am wanting to learn..

Write the name down as an avoid going forwards, be glad you stuck to your guns and the horse had a good time, and take her onwards and upwards.

Patterdale

Visit site
I'll just leave this here.

If it's good enough for the likes of Harry Meade and Lucinda Green and co, it ought to be good enough for the rest of us ;)

I LOVE this!
I’ve always instinctively wanted to walk horses into scary things, but always been told off for it and told to ride them on.

Def going to take this approach with new 4 year old.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
ASBMO ? why are instructors like this! I’ve decided those who need to put others down rather than try and build them up are trying to cover their own insecurities.

My best teachers are very secure in their own work and just want me to succeed regardless of my horses breeding/ type/ stereotype ...

@Marigold4 this was me asking my 8 year old (late starter ??‍♀️) to trot to a jump into water yesterday as it was a new question for her, I don’t think asking a horse to slow and think about the question can ever be the wrong choice.

Last edited:

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
ASBMO ? why are instructors like this! I’ve decided those who need to put others down rather than try and build them up are trying to cover their own insecurities.

My best teachers are very secure in their own work and just want me to succeed regardless of my horses breeding/ type/ stereotype ...

I know, it really was disheartening - especially as he was stood at X to teach the client before and after me, but didn't get up from his chair on the side of the arena at B the whole time I was riding, so I know that he came to his conclusion within 2 minutes of me being there. I paid £100 for this privilege too.

I don't mind being told things straight but it did feel a little above and beyond what was necessary to say.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I know, it really was disheartening - especially as he was stood at X to teach the client before and after me, but didn't get up from his chair on the side of the arena at B the whole time I was riding, so I know that he came to his conclusion within 2 minutes of me being there. I paid £100 for this privilege too.

I don't mind being told things straight but it did feel a little above and beyond what was necessary to say.

£100 ????

If you want a recommendation for an amazing dressage instructor, who trains with Carl, who is about half that before arena hire, but might not be in your area, you cannot go wrong with Di Breeze. Amazingly support and encouraging I wouldn’t have got either going as they could without her.

be positive

Visit site
I LOVE this!
I’ve always instinctively wanted to walk horses into scary things, but always been told off for it and told to ride them on.

Def going to take this approach with new 4 year old.

As long as they are genuinely between hand and leg, they will react when the leg says go and the fence is within their capabilities then the slower you go the more in control you will be, they have time to read the question and if they understand it they tend to take the bridle and your hand forward into the fence, it is then your job to allow the horse enough freedom to jump, timing is crucial but it has many benefits for young horses, is also good for riders who can improve their timing and feel.

I tell all of my clients if in doubt slow down, that means they have more time to make corrections, there are times when kicking on is essential but only once the horse should know what it is doing, when the rider has made an error and the horse needs a boot to get it out of trouble or if the horse is not in front of the leg and a wake up is required.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
As long as they are genuinely between hand and leg, they will react when the leg says go and the fence is within their capabilities then the slower you go the more in control you will be, they have time to read the question and if they understand it they tend to take the bridle and your hand forward into the fence, it is then your job to allow the horse enough freedom to jump, timing is crucial but it has many benefits for young horses, is also good for riders who can improve their timing and feel.

I tell all of my clients if in doubt slow down, that means they have more time to make corrections, there are times when kicking on is essential but only once the horse should know what it is doing, when the rider has made an error and the horse needs a boot to get it out of trouble or if the horse is not in front of the leg and a wake up is required.
Absolutely spot on! Its exactly what I apply to myself ?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site

I have sacked trainers before when they do that to me (the not giving full attention).

I sacked a dressage trainer as she used my lesson to arrange farrier, re-arrange other lessons and take a call from a vet about a routine matter, all in one lesson, whist sitting on her chair and chatting with other people.

My wonderful current trainer does spend the lesson sitting in the chair, but she teaches all day long and has a microphone/earpiece, gives full attention and misses absolutely nothing. She is also amazingly encouraging.

I only started lessons with her this year, and in the first lesson I arrived an emotional wreck because of something that was happening with my mum, who was ill. I didn't even think I would make the lesson at one point, but decided that I would move heaven and earth to get there, even if I only arrived in the to lead the horse in, tell the trainer that life sucks at the moment, have a brief discussion and leave again.

I was in time, the trainer is a proper teacher and realised I was delicate, we had a fantastic lesson where I could actually leave my troubles behind and believe in myself. We have not looked back since!

You need to add your trainers to a list of people never to use, and find another.

Last edited:

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
£100 ????

If you want a recommendation for an amazing dressage instructor, who trains with Carl, who is about half that before arena hire, but might not be in your area, you cannot go wrong with Di Breeze. Amazingly support and encouraging I wouldn’t have got either going as they could without her.

Thank you, once I have my own transport (whenever that will be) I will definitely have a look for them! This was mainly an exercise to get him out and about somewhere to see what he would be like so it served another purpose thankfully - plus there was another half an hour test ride with another lady who was brilliant when Jacob threw his toys out the pram - so all was not lost!

I have sacked trainers before when they do that to me (the not giving full attention).

I sacked a dressage trainer as she used my lesson to arrange farrier, re-arrange other lessons and take a call from a vet about a routine matter, all in one lesson, whist sitting on her chair and chatting with other people.

My trainer does spend the lesson sitting in the chair, but she teaches all day long and has a microphone/earpiece, gives full attention and misses absolutely nothing. She is also amazingly encouraging.

Absolutely. I don't mind them sitting down, it was the difference in attitude towards me compared to the more established riders before and after me that was a bit crap. Thankfully I have a brilliant dressage instructor who comes to my yard who is 1/4 of the price who I will stick with for now. I was just glad to be able to get Jacob out somewhere different to home for the first time.

mariew

Visit site
What rubbish lesson!! I agree,. teachers should help riders achieve something, even if it is just today was one of those days you have to ignore and move on from. They should never belittle or make you feel rubbish. Just don't book again with them. And well done! Sounds like you did really well!

JFTDWS

Visit site
You can learn something from everyone. Even if all you learn is how to do it wrong.

TBH I've always done the "introduce concepts in walk", let the horse think it through approach to stuff. I find it weird that there's a school of thought to do otherwise. But there's a reason why my lot all end up very chilled about life, to the point that making the time on an xc course is pretty unlikely!