why are there more geldings eventing than mares?

sorona

Visit site
I am planning on buying my daughter a filly next year, something between a foal and a 2yr old for her to bring on and event; it'll prob be a warmblood type import. The reason i want a filly is that i am looking at breeding long term, which is something i can not do at present as i have 5 geldings!
I noticed that most of the good event horses are generally geldings and wondered why this is. I dont want to buy her a filly and for her not be be any good because she is a filly or for there to be less chance of her being any good becasue of her sex. i wondered if anybody else can throw some light on this as I dont want to make a wrong decision as i prefer geldings anyway but my daughter has ridden andowned both mares and geldings and had success getting along with both but hasnt evented at a high level.

SillyMare

Visit site
Some people believe geldings are better eventers than mares because they are more consistent and trainable.

Mares are entire - their hormones can get in the way of things and some of them can be erratic in the summer when they are in season. It is certainly true that Mares can be 'opinionated'.

Successful eventing requires years and years of training and preparation. That is difficult enough on a nice stable consistent horse but adding in hormones as a factor can complicate things.

Another factor is that good mares have a value as breeding animals too. The horses you see going around Burghley / Badminton are usually in their teens - a lot of the best mares will have been taken out of the system by then to maximise their value as broodmares.

Having said all that, it is generally believed that once you get a good mare on your side they are very difficult to beat. There are a lot of good mares out there now (Headley Brittania!) and they seem to be coming through more and more as young horse producers are more willing to give them a try.

Some people just get on better with mares and believe you can have a better partnership with them.

Oh, and fillies are generally cheaper than colts from performance sales because there are still people out there who will reject them because they won't have a mare (or because they are difficult to export to the USA). You can often get more horse for your money.

Before I get shouted at, I know this is all generalisation - there are exceptions to every rule etc. etc.

dieseldog

Visit site
I think you have given a very good answer. The OP herself says that they prefer geldings so I guess look at the reasons you say that and that is a pretty good reason why there are more geldings eventing

sorona

Visit site
Thanks for such a good explanation. I hadnt considred that the good mares may have been put into a breeding programme so there are less of them. The mormone matter, I am all too familiar with!! I hadnt noticed the fillies being cheaper than the colts though so i will look out for that as with a lot of other breeds, that certainly doesnt seem to be the case and less fillies are up for sale too.
I much prefer gelding, hense every time i have looked for a filly, i have bought a colt. They tend to have more of a look at me about them too so i am always drawn towards them. There must be the perfect filly out there somewhere for my daugther though!

SillyMare

Visit site
My mares both came out of the Irish performance sales (Gorsebridge) as 3 year olds - India in 2002 and Lexi in 2004.

Fillies were certainly selling cheaper than geldings there.

OliveOyl

Visit site
When I was horse shopping last year for a young horse ready to go eventing I was looking for a mare, although wasn't set in stone about it. I found there were a lot less mares for sale which i presumed was because the one's with any potential were to be kept for breeding??

He IS a lot more consistent than the mare though, although when she's good she's exceptional.

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
I've got to admit I generally prefer a mare and you have tyhe added advantage particularly eventing that if they have a career threatening injury they can become a broodmare.

I think there are more mares now than there were particularly as it is legal to use regumate to control any hormone problems.

A good mare can be far more of a tryer and you can get a really good relationship with them - I would never be put off by a horses sex.

Sparklet

Visit site
A mare won Burghley and the National Dressage Champs this year - they are definitely fighting back
smile.gif

Fiona

Visit site
Can't speak for other disciplines, but it is definitely allowed in eventing. An FEI exemption form is filled in by the treating vet, and by the competition vet.
Fiona