Why can't/don't people fit tack correctly?

Illusion100

Visit site
Just why?

Especially with the low, floppy noseband and the high, tight brow band. Don't get me started on martingale fits, in particular the lack of stoppers.

I appreciate in the grand scheme of things it isn't the worst sin in the world but what is the point of using tack if you don't fit/utilise it correctly?

Poor bandaging/ boot application is such a hazard and in some cases WTF are they doing when putting a saddlecloth/saddle on?

When did owning/training/riding/caring for a horse become so incompetent?

Ranty I know but many have complained that we don't get the HHO rows on a Fri night, so here you go..... You're welcome. ;)

But seriously, why?

View

Visit site
I wonder how much of this is down to the risk averse culture of insurance causing riding schools to put their clients on a fully tacked horse and don't teach the basics of care.

Edited for dreadful spelling.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Because they cant be bothered to learn how to?
Gone are the days of many learning at pony club, of doing stable management at riding schools, being a helper etc.
Same ones that have a sweaty horse in 2 x hw rugs in 10 degrees. ......
OP, drives me nuts too :mad3:

Popcorn anyone? :D

Illusion100

Visit site
I wonder how much of this is down to the risk averse culture of insurance causing riding schools to put their clients on a fully tacked horse and don't teach the basics of care.

Edited for dreadful spelling.

A good point, however I was referring to the general novice horse owner.

When I started out at riding schools, the horses were tacked and ready to go. You could pay and attend a monthly event where the basics of care where explained and then we all got the chance to muck out/groom/feed/tack up/untack/feed etc.

I think far too many horse owners nowadays haven't a clue what they are doing.

Illusion100

Visit site
Because they cant be bothered to learn how to?
Gone are the days of many learning at pony club, of doing stable management at riding schools, being a helper etc.
Same ones that have a sweaty horse in 2 x hw rugs in 10 degrees. ......
OP, drives me nuts too :mad3:

Popcorn anyone? :D

Almost like they can't be bothered and don't see why they need to be either?

Yes, I'm going to get popcorn too (aka, walk dog to shop to pick up some wine!). I might actually get opinionated on this subject after a glass or two! :D

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
To a point I think it's common sense though, I have never been told how to put a saddle cloth on to be honest and didn't realise you could go that wrong? Make sure it's big enough, put it the right way up, make sure it's not folded, and put the girth through the loops to stop it from slipping?

If something is too tight, loosen it. If something is flapping about, chances are it can't do it's function that loose so tighten it. If it's not covering what you're trying to protect (tendon boots) then move it, or buy bigger ones. Bobs your uncle!

alainax

Visit site
To a point I think it's common sense though, I have never been told how to put a saddle cloth on to be honest and didn't realise you could go that wrong? Make sure it's big enough, put it the right way up, make sure it's not folded, and put the girth through the loops to stop it from slipping?
yeah but people do that thing with the saddle cloth pressed tight against the horses back, that does my head in!

spacefaer

Visit site
Because they don't know any better and don't care enough to do some research of their own to realise the importance of correctly fitting tack, in terms of both comfort for the horse and effectiveness of the tack itself.

I used to ride for a woman who insisted on putting a grackle noseband on one of her homebred youngsters, because "it looked nice".... sigh. The horse hadn't opened his mouth or crossed his jaw when ridden in his life - and I should know, as I backed him!

People are more concerned about the colour of their saddlecloth than looking after the leatherwork.

As an aside to the OP's rant.... no one knows how to look after tack any more either........

Orca

Visit site
yeah but people do that thing with the saddle cloth pressed tight against the horses back, that does my head in!

Yes! Along with not putting it on then sliding it + saddle backwards into place.

Nosebands are an issue. Too high, usually.

Count Oggy

Visit site
In general I think a lot of people don't think knowledge is important and that spills over into their horsey life too. I keep seeing French link snaffles for sale that are actually Dr. Bristol bits! Very worrying.

Wheels

Visit site
My local tack shop owners always put pics up of them riding their own horses with badly fitting / positioned tack, they advise others what to do and how to fit stuff when they come into the shop. Worrying really

BBP

Visit site
I wouldn't rose tint the past too much, I remember loads and loads of examples of these same things from my childhood. I don't think it's getting worse, but sadly it's getting no better.

Illusion100

Visit site
I wouldn't rose tint the past too much, I remember loads and loads of examples of these same things from my childhood. I don't think it's getting worse, but sadly it's getting no better.

I certainly couldn't rose tint the experience of some I was taught by. Shocking advice!

Others taught a standard I rarely see replicated, I couldn't express how intuitive and knowledgeable they were. In a league of their own frankly and still can't believe my luck that they took an interest in teaching me some of it.

Enfys

Visit site
A combination of everything mentioned, lack of education (riding schools, pony club etc) and a lack of self education ( but really, how can that be? Every horse person I know has a ton of books, reads voraciously and sucks up information all the time )

Personally I feel that so much online information isn't necessarily a good thing, those who know no better see ill fitted tack etc and think that because so and so jumps his horse, or wins at dressage in this, that and the other then that's how it should be. No thought that horses are all individuals as are riders and circumstances.

As always, common sense, or the lack of it, is also a reason too.

little_critter

Visit site
Yes! Along with not putting it on then sliding it + saddle backwards into place.

Nosebands are an issue. Too high, usually.

Ahh, now I often see nosebands (particularly flashes) too low.
I paused to tweak one the other day thinking it had just slipped slightly then realised the noseband was set so low that there was now way the flash could ever be in the right place.

zaminda

Visit site
I think part of the problem with some tack today is that it is mainly off the peg, and is poorly designed. The difference in price is so big, that people are more likely to buy it. I bought a cob bridle recently, browband quite large, throatlash too short, cheek pieces on the long side, and noseband to short round the front, but ok in general! Flash strap seriously long though!
I look back to my childhood and remember the seriously badly fitting saddles on many of the riding schools I learnt at, the standards on that are higher now.
I do find that some of the matchy match sets don't fit terribly well, which doesn't help people.
I've also been stunned by how many people use bandages when they don't know how to put them on properly!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Another one: the apparent lack of any pride in turnout.

Ok, we can all rush to get out, but to see the same person hacking out all yr round on a horse with badly fitted filthy tack and nearly dead saddle cloth on a dirty horse, makes me squirm.

Im as guilty on occasions of only removing mud to ride, but this one has dreadlocks in mane and tail all yr round, bot eggs not touched etc. Yes, it's her own horse ....

Deltaflyer

Visit site
One I've been coming across a lot lately is throat lashes done up too tightly so if the poor horse tries to go in an outline it throttles itself.

Slightly OT but in the same vein, the art of how to do a shavings bed properly seems to be a dead art among the staff where I keep my boy.

muckypony

Visit site
Another reason to go with the others...

Because knowledgeable people are too afraid to tell the novices, or can't be dealing with the back chat they'd get if they did.

When I was a kid, if you went out to a show with your pony's noseband too low, an older acquaintance who you maybe saw once a year would notice and come marching over to correct it and give you a good telling off! Nowadays though you just wouldn't get that... For a start, the new generation of pony club mums wouldn't dare let you tell little princess something was incorrect!

muckypony

Visit site
One I've been coming across a lot lately is throat lashes done up too tightly so if the poor horse tries to go in an outline it throttles itself.

Slightly OT but in the same vein, the art of how to do a shavings bed properly seems to be a dead art among the staff where I keep my boy.

Oh don't ... I get told I'm 'OCD'... No.. I just do my beds properly!