Why can't people freeze mark their horses?

OWLIE185

Visit site
Why can't people Freezemark their horses.
Two different lots of horses found near us this last Friday 15 January 2015. Two were baby race horses found on a busy road and then later on in the evening one was a cob type found on farmland.
It was impossible to quickly identify them as neither had Freezemarks which could have been used to identify them even from a distance if one was unable to catch them.
The owners of the two baby racehorses where found within a few hours but the owner of the cob took a day till someone came forward.

Orca

Visit site
Orca's so hairy it would be illegible unless clipped and she's not clipped currently. However, I would like to have her done. I'm not sure where amidst her markings to have it placed though.

Last edited:

RunToEarth

Visit site
A postcode on their rug is more sensible at this time of year.

Personally, I wouldn't get another freezemarked and favour microchipping, for the simple fact that I would rather my horses didn't have writing on them.

madlady

Visit site
Mine are all microchipped - they have to be so that I can register them.

Why would I then want to put them through a painful further (extremely painful) process?

Goldenstar

Visit site
Freeze marking which I have done twice to my own and once to fatty for his owner for the LOU is painfull looks awful and in the case of one of mine and fatty left iniltelligble marks even when clipped .
Fatty is left with FH no numbers and no L in a circle so that's pretty useless for anything when he's not clipped it's dark bay and can't see it all it shows in winter when he's clipped .
When asked I say it stands for fat horse MrGS says something less polite .
Microchipping takes a second and requires no clipping .
Legally all horses born now much be chipped so in time all horses will be .
Postcodes on rugs are a very good idea .

ozpoz

Visit site
I don't want to put them through it. They are microchipped, and passported and I try to keep them blemish free.

OWLIE185

Visit site
None of the horses were wearing rugs so a Freezemark would have helped!
In addition if the horses are rugged up then the Freezemark could be put on the rug.
Unfortunately very few people carry a micro-chip reader (especially as there are 7 different micro-chipping systems with the reader of one not reading all the others) were as anyone can read a Freezemark.

madlady

Visit site
There might be 7 different micro chipping systems but there are only 2 types of micro-chip and the newer wands will read all types.

Given that microchips are now law you would think it would start to filter down to give the people who have to deal with these situations (Police, RSPCA etc) the necessary tools (and training) to do their jobs!

mastermax

Visit site
I personally hate the thought of horses being freeze branded. I think its unsightly and would inflict pain on the animal. All our horses are microchipped.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I had one of mine freezemarked, about 40 years ago when it was a new thing. It made a mess of his back (fancy chestnut sensitive horse) and put him off work at the beginning of summer.

These days I Microchip.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
OP do you have a picture of a well legible freezemark on a very hairy winter horse? I am not sure I have ever seen one.

Mine is chipped and rugs are postcoded because last year someone took one off him in the field.

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
Because they don't want to? As someone else has said, I don't want writing on my horse. All our horses are microchipped and obviously passported, so I don't see the issue.

Also, it can't be that pleasant for them.

Visit site
Because I don't want a load of hideous white hairs on my beautifully coloured horses?!? Never have liked freeze marking and never will. They are all microchipped, passported and have enough obvious markings/whirls/scars between them that they would be instantly recognisable - even the plain black Shetlands!

happyclappy

Visit site
I wonder this I will never own one that I do not freezemark, as I had two stolen and back in twelve hours. They cannot be freezemarked too young, I think minimum of 18 months.

popsdosh

Visit site
None of the horses were wearing rugs so a Freezemark would have helped!
In addition if the horses are rugged up then the Freezemark could be put on the rug.
Unfortunately very few people carry a micro-chip reader (especially as there are 7 different micro-chipping systems with the reader of one not reading all the others) were as anyone can read a Freezemark.

Only two types of microchips FDX and HDX both can be read with modern scanners.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Mine are all microchipped - they have to be so that I can register them.

Why would I then want to put them through a painful further (extremely painful) process?
while I agree that it is peoples choice to either freezemark or not I must correct this statement as I have had 4 horses freezemarked and none of them had any reaction when it was done so it cannot be extremely painful. also with a hairy horse it is easy to just keep that area clipped so the mark is visible. any non horsy person can read a freezemark but wouldn't have any idea how to identify a horse from markings however distinct they are.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
All mine are freezemarked and always will be, it is not a big issue being freezemarked a horse's first full clip can be a lot more stressful than freezemarking.

I don't writing on them no!

But IMO I would rather have writing on them than them be stolen me loosing them for ever
Maybe it does look awful but more awful if the get served up on a plate
microchip means nothing if a sale does not have a microchip scanner

Microchip have been known to be cut out or lost if the horse is injured

IMO no point in marking the rug if

1. in the future I want to sell the rug
2. rug is taken off the horse prior to being stolen
3. Passports mean nothing if they are duplicated or missing

zaminda

Visit site
I did consider getting my pony done when we were both much younger, however someone whose horse was freezemarked, stolen and promptly killed and skinned put me off. Horses older than a certain age won't necessarily be microchipped either.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
Does anybody own a microchip scanner? I do for when I was buying/selling and use it a lot in the local area when people are getting a new horse etc.