Why did nobody ever tell me about 90 degree stirrups before?!!

Shady

Visit site
I feel i have just discovered a secret that you all knew about and i didn't !
I fully admit to being a bit of a numpty but i don't have any equestrian shops anywhere near me to look at stuff so tend to make safe choices when i order horsey things.
I've got a dodgy knee and a massive stirrup phobia from being dragged so i often kick them off and ride without but that's not easy in and out of valleys, iv'e been using EZ caged stirrups and they are great for my knee but absolutely MASSIVE, i have tiny feet that are lost in them, god knows who they are made for, not a 3-4 that's for sure.
So i started looking again and found a review for 90 degree stirrups, couldn't afford posh ones so ordered a cheapy pair from Barefoot just to try
OMG i love them, can't fully tell you why, the angle stops my knees hurting, they stick to your feet like glue in trot and canter so brilliant for beginners and they lessen the strain on your shins, if i kick my stirrups off i find them straight away and they have a lovely wide tread which is really nice and stable, granted they are not the most stylish stirrup you can buy but i don't care about that, they are fab! :)
just thought i'd write this in case anybody else is thinking of trying them ,though all of you who jump probably use them anyway?
xxx

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
That's really interesting. I've never used them but just had a little look online there & they look much more ergonomic! I find normal stirrups sit at an angle against my feet (outwards as toes are turned in) & take the lower leg away from horse. Will have to try these! :)

HappyNeds

Visit site
I use them, bought a pair from eBay cheap years ago and love them so much! As you say they make life so much easier, it's a doddle to find the other stirrup when you get on or in any other situation.

I loved them so much I kept swapping them to the other saddle when I rode our other horse so I ended up buying another pair so both saddles had them. They weren't expensive, but I think their brilliant!

Shady

Visit site
Lanky Loll, they also come with cages for a little more money and do child size!
Shavings, i got mine www.barefoot-riding.com, can't seem to do a direct link, being a numpty head an all but you can find them easily under stirrups, i have to say my EZ ones are amazing on my knees as they are really cushioned but just so huge, i keep bashing trees! i am not sure if you can get the Barefoot ones in England but both Germany and Belgium Barefoot sell them, please don't shout at me if they don't work for you ! xxxxxx
El and HN ! They are great !!!!!! :):)

Enfys

Visit site
Great aren't they? I only have western style ones right now, but when I ride at home I use them on my dressage saddle. Looks weird, especially as my stirrup leathers run under the saddle skirt, but winter boots fit in them and I don't care what others think (have reached that happy age) My conventional (black, silver and gold) English stirrups are for parties only.

Shady

Visit site
Great aren't they? I only have western style ones right now, but when I ride at home I use them on my dressage saddle. Looks weird, especially as my stirrup leathers run under the saddle skirt, but winter boots fit in them and I don't care what others think (have reached that happy age) My conventional (black, silver and gold) English stirrups are for parties only.

it's really weird Enfys, iv'e been on this journey for want of a better word to getting me and my horse as comfortable as possible as i do long trail rides like you and always the stirrups are the one thing i fuss with and can't get right, now i can finally move on!!!!!!!!

Lanky Loll

Visit site
Lanky Loll, they also come with cages for a little more money and do child size!
Shavings, i got mine www.barefoot-riding.com, can't seem to do a direct link, being a numpty head an all but you can find them easily under stirrups, i have to say my EZ ones are amazing on my knees as they are really cushioned but just so huge, i keep bashing trees! i am not sure if you can get the Barefoot ones in England but both Germany and Belgium Barefoot sell them, please don't shout at me if they don't work for you ! xxxxxx
El and HN ! They are great !!!!!! :):)

Ahh hadn't seen that site :) I've ordered the Icelandic safety one's from Kramer Equestrian - a little more expensive but not much.

LHIS

Visit site
They're great. I have a pair of Evo 80's and I just love them, hold my leg really nicely, don't lose them, and can't get them the wrong way round!

Jo1987

Visit site
I tried them and couldn't get on with them at all! Used them for about a month thinking I'd get used to them but never did, I use the wide compositi stirrups now.