Why did you choose a Horsebox over a trailer

clipclop

Visit site
Hi there,

I was pondering today on why people choose their Horseboxes over a Trailer and 4x4?
Is it cost?
Is it amount of horses to be carried?

So many questions,,,,,,,,,,,,,

So, What made you choose a Lorry over a trailer?

I look forward to reading your replies.

smile.gif

Cheers
C x
smile.gif

_daisy_

Visit site
Ebi kept falling down in the trailer so we had no option other than to buy a horse box.she felt happy being able to lean on the ramp of the wagon when she was travelling. Now shell happily travel in our new trailer as her confidence has come back.

Judie

Visit site
I had a 4 x 4 & trailer for years, I changed because:

* Fuel on a daily basis in 4 x 4 was too high = 70 miles a day

* Security on motorways on longer distances

* Sleeping arrangements when staying over

* Easier to tack up & mess with horse in the back

In saying that I did really enjoy my trailer and I was over the moon when I first got the 4 x 4 & trailer as I got my independence but financial circumstances improved so I took the plunge.

Evadiva1514

Visit site
We bought our horsebox a couple of years ago as we were fed up of being carved up on busy main roads by big HGV lorries, and other vehicles. We had an IW at the time and although we were happy with it, we never had anywhere proper to change or store anything. So we sold our trailer and bought a Marlborough Hunter, it has day living in the back, is a lot more substantial on the road and I can drive it whereas before i had to take a test to tow!!

All in all it was the best decision ever!!

Peanot

Visit site
I had lorries for a long time due to the fact that there was a lot more room, and space and a cooker to cook the bacon sarnies etc. Then I bought a warmblood mare, who just wasn`t comfy in the lorry, so I sold it and bought another, same again so we had one built to spec, same again. She just wouldn`t travel well and would get over excited and all worked up. We decided to try a trailer and we have never looked back. I have been able to go to lots more shows and even on my own. I have the Richardson Supreme and it is quite big and I carry a loo and the large tack box in there and there is plenty of room for changing and tacking up etc.
There is no cooker but hey, there is always a snack van, so no worries. I`m chuffed to bits with the trailer.
grin.gif

Also I don`t miss the MOT and the Insurance. £600 one year just on the brakes for the MOT that turned out all that was needed was a turn of a screw!!!
mad.gif

dieseldog

Visit site
I didn't want to drive a 4x4 everyday.
A lorry turned up at the right time
I stay away at shows
You don't have to pack it eveytime you go out in it.
Really easy to drive
Road tax is cheaper than a 4x4
insurance is only £200/year fully comp, any driver - not sure how that compares to a trailer
And I love it

I_A_P

Visit site
because my old hores used to fall down in a trailer, we could i suppose go back to a trialer now, but wer could never afford a lorry like we have got now and its so much more convenient,.
for example when cometeitng this weekend at a ODE there was no way i would have enough room in a traioer for a start we got completely soaked horse and all along with rugs-in a 4x4 we would have had no where to get changed or have anywheere to pu all our wet gear. without getting soaked in the process.
now we have had a lorry i really dont think we could ever go back to a trailer

Claireg9

Visit site
We always had a lorry, but when it blew up we didnt replace it, now wanting to compete again i decided to purchase a trailer as i have to pay now, i wondered how i could go back to no living after having it for so long! So i brough a trailer with living inc cooker fridge double bed etc etc... i love it and am over the moon with it! Just have to take my B+E now!

not_with_it

Visit site
If I was to buy a trailer I would have to take another test as well as buy a 4x4. The running costs of driving a 4x4 everyday would be too much and I dont need a big car
My friend was selling a 3.5ton box that my horse travelled well in so we bought it. Its so easy to drive and really convenient, I can just jump in it and off we go!

clipclop

Visit site
Thanks for your replies.

The reason I asked the question is, I have a 4 wheel drive and with fuel prices as they are I am struggling to keep the thing on the road. The only reason I have a 4 x 4 is for towing my horse to events, lessons etc.

I did wonder whether it would be more economical to buy a lorry and replace 4 x 4 with economical car.

I have access to mechanics etc through the family business so maintenance isn't a problem. However sometimes I could use my trailer every weekend or sometimes it is parked up for 6 months!! That wouldn't do a lorry any good.

I was kind of hoping someone would answer that question for me.
grin.gif
?

Cheers for now
C x
smile.gif

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
I chose a lorry for safety after my trailer turned over at 45 miles an hour on the M1 - had two horses on, luckily both were OK, but I never wanted to put my horses or myself through that again. I was pulling the trailer with a 4x4 so car was man enough - have not towed a trailer since and the thought of it makes me shudder still
confused.gif