Why do horses biff?

Parkranger

Visit site
Right, don't shoot me down for not knowing this, but I realise they do it when they want treats (although I won't let Ty do it, think it's bad manners!) but last night after getting him off the long rein, I was making a massive fuss of him (completely OTT) and he kind of half biffed and half nuzzled into me.....kind of like a teenager telling you that you're embarrassing them!

Or was he saying - get off me you nutter?

any horse behaviour experts out there?

dixie

Visit site
I don' t know but sometimes I think it is a sign of affection and they don't realise how much it can hurt us. After all they powerful creatures.

Parkranger

Visit site
That's what I thought - I think he was a little excited as I made such a fuss of him doing well on the long rein! Ah, bless him.

KatB

Visit site
Mine does it when he is anxious/unsure of whats going on. He does do it as affection too, but mainly in a show/busy atmosphere to kind of say get on with it/ whats happening/ im excited kinda way!!

filly190

Visit site
One of my horses does that and she also licks me to death. As soon as I stroke her, she starts licking. She loves people. When I bought my yearling, she spends her time licking my little arab to death.

She has even licked a hen and our dogs when they let her.

She is'nt lacking in any vits etc, she is very affectionate

the watcher

Visit site
Could be a kind of mutual grooming gesture..can also be a lack of respect for your personal space..I try to discourage it as it can become a habit...and quite painfull! My horses are told off for invading my space unless they have been invited..then we do the mutual grooming thing and I take my chances with being nibbled..or licked to death in the case of one of them

Pasha

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
One of my horses does that and she also licks me to death. As soon as I stroke her, she starts licking. She loves people. When I bought my yearling, she spends her time licking my little arab to death.

She has even licked a hen and our dogs when they let her.

She is'nt lacking in any vits etc, she is very affectionate

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh bless her - I wish my horse was affectionate - the most affectionate he gets is using my back as a face scratcher!

Nickymac

Visit site
Mine was licking my 4yr old when they were in the lorry and the 4yr old was getting wound up, so maybe it's a calming thing. And he loves licking my hands for ages, whether I've had polos for him or not.

Dogbetty141

Visit site
All mine licks to do is rub his head on me and when he is down or poorly (which i can tell by the way he does it) he moves his head closer and closer to me untill he gets a big hug and believe me he will stand there all day and have one! sweetie! I get a whinny when i come up too! him saying hello feed me!

flyingfeet

Visit site
My hano mare does that a lot - she knows she is invading your personal space and generally does it intentionally (she's a bit of a B*gger).

The boys also do it, but only when they are pissed off to tell me to get on with it.

Another of ours wouldn't dream of it, and is a big licker - he will get any (human) coat soggy in a short space of time and loves licking.

jemima

Visit site
Awww - our little cob does it - we call it "bunting". He does it mostly when he's pleased with himself - although he also does it as a joke. He got my daughter's pc instructor when she turned away and bent down to fiddle with her shoes. She was not amused but the little cob thought it was hilarious. He's terrified (shakes and/or panics) if he thinks he's done something wrong - and he certainly wasn't bothered by that.

We do try to tell him off - but it's so funny that it makes it hard to do.

KrashnBurn

Visit site
Mine does it for affection/attention. It is part of his charachter and it does not bother me, except when I am poorly, then he seems to sense that and goes easy on me.

Theresa_F

Visit site
Mine do it but only upon my invitation - a respect and manners point - no rubbing until I "present" myself.

I will on occasion allow myself to be used as a rubbing post by offering my back.

They both also love putting their heads over my shoulder and having their ears scratched. Chancer is fine, but after 2 minutes of Cairo's big bonce getting heavier and heavier as he closes his eye and relaxes, my legs collapse under the weight.

The also groom me but understand the word "teeth" which means take it easy chaps, my skin ain't as tough as yours.

Parkranger

Visit site
I think it's only bad manners when it's done in a way that would hurt you.......gentle nudging isn't bad manners (well I don't think so anyway)

don't get me wrong, on occasion he gets a bit bolshy at feeding time and get's shouted at.....then the bottom lip goes.....pathetic!

Hornby

Visit site
My mare does it as a sign of affection or looking for reassurance. Not hard - I would not allow that - but luckily for me I have a v. flat chest so nothing to hurt! If she is really not keen on something she will groom me with her top lip in a nuzzly way....eg. please put that twitch away (haven't needed it to clip this year but it shows me she doesn't like it!)