Why do i bother

Gone hunting

Visit site
Well because of all the flu hype going on and the fact I will need to compete low lever on my youngster I gave in and my 2 horses had their first flu jab on Monday.. The youngster instantly went off his food and has a snoty nose and very sorry for himself and lethargic. My 12 year hunt horse (bloodhounding) who is normally very sharp to ride has turned into a kick along donkey. I did as the vet said and didn't ride him for 3 days and got on him today and expected fireworks, instead he is coughing and again lethargic. Neither horses have a temp and now I'm worried about letting my boys have the second jab. Anybody else had this problem.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Not giving your horses their 2nd vaccination defeats the whole purpose. If they're off colour for a few days, so be it. It's not normal for horses to have a snotty nose afterwards, perhaps there was something else going on? What does your vet say?

Gone hunting

Visit site
Vet said to monitor his temp and his general health. He hasn't been off the farm all winter as he was broken and then turned away so and hasnt been in contact with the hunt horse.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
My mare had a reaction to her 1st jab. Was off colour for a few weeks. I now, on vets advice, give bute before and after jabs to offset temperature rise. A bit like giving calpol to kids!

Sometimes they react the the agent carrier for the vaccine or it could be a dodgy batch.

Shay

Visit site
There was a vaccine batch causing reactions kicking around late last year - you might find the batch number if you search the forum hard enough. But as Cortez says - you don't actually have a choice. If you want to compete your horses have to be vaccinated. Your youngster does not have to have been off the yard to contract flu or another virus - you could have brought it back with you from another horse you met out hunting or hacking.