Why do people do it!- constant tit bitting

Irishcobs

Visit site
Just got back from looking at a horse with my bosses. I had to go along to ask questions about the handling and stabling of it as I'm the groom so I'll be the one dealing with it.

Anyway we were met at the car by the owner who then lead us to the stable were the horse was stood behind a stable guard thing, waving its front leg around. I whispered to my boss that it must bang the door. The owner then went up to it and gave it a tit bit when putting the headcollar on and then brought it out of the stable for us to look at. As my bosses felt legs etc, I asked, how often they turn him out, feed they feed, any problems with other horses, etc. While she was answering me the whole time she was giving the horse tit bits!
Then my boss asked her to trot him up, so while she was away from us, I told them about the continue tit bit feeding, so when she returned I then took the horse for a walk around to 'see if I could handle it' in other words to see it if bites, which it does, really badly. It constantly nipped at my hand asking for food, and when I stopped it turned to face me, begging for food (front leg waving!).
Basically through out the whole thing, she constantly feed it tit bits, including when my boss was mounting and everytime she stop to talk about the horse.

It was a very nice horse and my boss thought it was a nice ride, but they weren't sure about the constant treat giving and the fact it nips, but I said I'm sure I will be able to get it to stop so we are going to get it vetted.

I just couldn't believe that someone would tit bit a horse to the extent that it nips and begs if you don't.
I mean I do tit bit my horses, but they no if I say thats it now, that they won't get any more and if they do ask for more, or nudge me I will tell them to stop, which they do.

Weezy

Visit site
God I read that as tit-BITING LMAO!

Anyway back to the point! That is certainly disgusting behaviour IMO - I never feed out of hand as I think it is just asking for trouble
mad.gif
However like you it wouldnt put me off a nice horse and I think it is certainly something that you can overcome

dieseldog

Visit site
I read this as tit bite - ing to start!!!

When I first got my horse it was the same, they hadn't fed it titbits but everytime it wanted something and waved its front legs around they scratched it, can't pull its mane, scratch it, etc. It gave it up in about a week.

Boodle

Visit site
I'd be a bit worried that she constantly tit-bitted just to be able to control it!

Like.. if she didn't feed it, it would be hard to handle and misbehave?

Snowberry

Visit site
teehee...........I also read it as TIT BITING!!! LOL

I never feed any of ours titbits, definitely encourages them to nip IMHO. Marcus was a real git for nipping when he was a youngster and I'm sure its cos everyone used to feed him titbits. We put treats in their buckets and thats it. However, we moved onto livery in April and when Marcus had to be in the stable every bloody kid that walked past him gave him a treat and the nipping started again!!!
mad.gif
mad.gif

Big notice went up, very cross SB and now no one feeds any of my ponies without my permission!!!
mad.gif
mad.gif

(he's stopped nipping again and is back to the mild mannered shetland we love
laugh.gif
)

The new pony we picked up 2 weeks ago nipped all the bloody time, we've had him 2 weeks. Fed no titbits and now he doesnt nip!!
grin.gif
grin.gif

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
I must be really odd - I read it at Tit Baiting!!!!!!

Agree totally unacceptable, but then I am constantly amazed at what some people get up to with horses
confused.gif

Sounds like a nice horse otherwise and am sure you will sort it out
grin.gif

Snowberry

Visit site
jsut remembered when we bought Spirit (2yr old colt) his owners we're petrified of him and fed him bread so he didnt eat them!!!!
Maybe they have something to hide about his behaviour???

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
It would get a good whack from me if it tried to bite. Some people are so stupid by making problems for themselves. Its like children whining for sweets all the time and then being given them cannot stand it. Titbits are for reward ours get them for being good.

Irishcobs

Visit site
Ah yes maybe. Will have a good talk with my bosses tomorrow about it. If it passes the vetting I'm sure they will get it, this it the 5th horse they have seen all the others failed the vetting. Hopefully it will be something that can be fixed, but will definitely have a good chat with them about it, I don't want to have a dangerous horse on the yard.

ETS: its a 6yr old 16.2hh TB.

Irishcobs

Visit site
Same, if we do get it, I won't be having any nonsence from it, just as long as its not dangerous as in tries to attack me.

JAK

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
*shrieks with laughter*
So did I but I didn't like to say - I'm so glad you did!
grin.gif

Anyway, titbits......!

I feed LBO titbits - lots of them - as a reward - for looking 'cute' - for no reason at all!
shocked.gif

He is however, very old & I know him well & he knows me - he also knows 'the rules' & doesn't break them! LOL
With the others though, we are a lot more careful - they all have one as a 'goodnight treat', when we do their final checks but that's about it!

SWUO has one for standing still to be fly-sprayed (hates it beyond description! LOL) & Fat Orange One gets one for standing still to have his nebuliser spray but generally, no, we don't shovel them down for no reason!
The only one of ours that bites is SWUO but that's usually when asking her to 'move over', not because of 'begging' - they were all (with the exception of LBO!) a little 'pushy' initially but I won't stand for it & they got a slap in the chops if they started, so lost interest pretty quickly!

If I want to titbit my ponies, it's my decision but I feel confident at controlling their reactions to titbits & am very strict about their behaviour with them! Like most things, 'in moderation' is the key maybe?

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
I am sure it will be bad for a while till it learns. Guess you will be extra vigilant and just not let it get away with anything. My horse used to try and kick you grooming as well as pawing the ground - these really annoyed me but have slowly taught him better. Still will paw occassionally but no trying to kick anymore!
Do you know how much K charges for a lesson as trying to organise some RC lessons with decent people. Does she charge milage as we are Somerset but probably 30 mins away.

JAK

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I'd be a bit worried that she constantly tit-bitted just to be able to control it!
Like.. if she didn't feed it, it would be hard to handle and misbehave?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, that's more 'bribe' than 'reward', isn't it? You are then venturing into very dangerous territory, as it might mean extensive re-education!
frown.gif

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
*wondering out loud* I wonder if it depends on the attitude of the owner as much as the horse. I used to treat quite alot (had huge bags of carrots) but none of my horses EVER mugged or badgered for treats because I wouldn't have allowed it. When the treats were gone, they were gone.
Seems to me as if the horse is the boss in that particular relationship.

Parkranger

Visit site
I think feeding tit bits is only a problem if the horse gets bolshy - some are fine and don't beg/get pushy and others you just can't feed out of hand....it all depends on the horse!

I think it's something you should be able to cure though, I wouldn't overly worry about it.

Lobelia_Overhill

www.mymiscellanyhome.net
I was trying figure out what a boob-shaped bit looked like!

I wouldn't not by a horse that's been 'spoilt' by it's owner, but it'll take a looonngg time to get it out of the habit of being fed every time someone goes near it's head and if there are likely to be kids around it can result in someone getting a nasty bite...

Guinness

Visit site
i used to treat mine when i first got him but he started biting so i stopped, now (4 years on) there are lots of kids on the yard who feed him treats occasionally and although he doesnt bite he does search pockets etc and expects treats off them (i have warned them but kids will be kids!)
also he was a terrible door kicker at college and everyone presumed i fed him treats but i didnt (now hes at home he very rarely kicks the door)

Niamhy

photobucket.com
I thought of a bit too!!

Murph gets a polo after I ride him, and i always make him come to the tack room door, and give it too him there (also means I take the saddle off and put it away while he stands there). Then i give him another one in the stable when i take the bridle off. And thats it, he doesnt get anything else. And he never looks for them either any other time.

When the yard was a Riding School, bloody kids used to go around feeding all the horses, and it used to cause so much hassle, they would all be kicking doors getting agitated etc, as one was getting food and the others werent.

Now its just the 3 of us its grand.

To me it doesnt sound like shes trying to cover up bad behaviour, and I would say the horse would soon learn hes not going to get any treats if your boss does buy him. But you will have to be very strict the first few weeks.

Tia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too
blush.gif
!!

Anyway, as to people giving tidbits - I think they do it for one of two reasons. Either they are scared of their horse and they think that by tidbitting they will have the horse do what they ask OR they have a nice relationship with their horse and just like to treat it once in a while.

Tidbits from me are definitely NOT of the edible variety - scratches and rubs in their favourite places are my form of appreciation and this seems to work perfectly for my horses.

Honeyb060674

Visit site
Honey gets titbit (not titbites!) usually on her way back out to the field...woe betide the person who forgets the carrot! She stand there looking quizzically at you giving me the 'Hey you forgot something' look, but never pushes it or demands treats. Alot depends on the horses personality, some are just more demanding in all aspects of feeding.

Capriole

Visit site
i stupidly left my bag hung in my horses box for a minute while i fetched something, came back and he'd been in my bag and nicked my wagon wheel and he just spat out the paper when i came back in
frown.gif