Why do people let their Horses get away with everything! RANT ALERT

LaurenBay

Visit site
I hardly ever rant on this forum, so I think I have earned the right to do so now!!!

On my yard there are 7 Horses and 3 owners (Myself,YO and Man) The man has been there for around a year and half (longer then my Horse, but I was around first because I shared YO'S Horse) the man owns a poor doer, lame 19 YO WB. The man can't tell one end of a Horse from the other. He got his Horse as his girlfriend at the time had them and he wanted to be involved. They broke up, girlfriend kicked him off yard and now his with us. Myself and YO have bent over backwards to help him, from teaching him how to put a headcollar on, which rugs to use, tying up nets correctly etc etc. I have never minded helping him or giving him advice when his asked as I know if I asked him for help he would return the favor. Luckily for him, his Horse is an absolute gentlemen to handle although, is allowed to get away with eveything! but it's only little things like man will move out of his Horses way, rather then the other way round, Horse will snatch foot away, man will shrug and then will not correct the behaviour. But the Horse is never nasty, we can leave him to bring in and TO knowing that his Horse will behave. I have told him countless times that his lucky his Horse is so well behaved because the man isn't being the leader and the Horse does what he wants, his just lucky that Horse has never really treid to test him. In the field, this Horse is a nightmare! As he is dominant over my Horse, he will always try to herd her away from me. Which is annoying, but I can deal with it (Horses willl be Horses). However over the last week or so, he is getting rather rude. He has no respect for peoples space at all, I had to flick the headcollar at him yesterday to shoo him away and he didn't even flinch, he got closer. So I asked him to back up away from me, which he did, but as soon as I turn around his back in my space again! I told the man, that he needs to start doing some more groundwork with him to remind him of his manors and the importance of respecting a humans personal space.

Horse is not ridden (man doesn't know how to ride and plus he bought a lame Horse) doesn't do anything really at all, he gets brought in and groomed twice a week and thats about it. Man lets Horse away with invaiding his personal space so it isn't entirely the Horses fault!

Yesterday was the last straw, I entered the field, Horse comes trotting up to me and circling me, I moved him away from me and used the leadrope on his bum to move him on. He then starts going torwards my mare and trying to herd her. I managed to get him away from her and catch my mare. Walking back to the gate, he again gets in my space so that I am sandwhiched between the 2 Horses. I gave him a bit of a growl and give him a firm elbow on his shoulder and moved him away. 2 seconds later and his back. Get to the gate and open it, he suddenly charges at my mare, who then panicks and bolts through the gate, I lost my footing and fell over, I was dragged. Luckily I was unhurt and my mare managed not to step on me. Horse then trys to follow her and I managed to get back on my feet and shoo him away. Although it took a lot of effort and him trying to barge through me!

I rung the owner and told him that he needs to start doing more groundwork with his Horse to remind him of his manors! I said the behaviour needs to be nipped in the bud, as I do not want a repeat of this everytime I want to get my Horse in from the field. Tonight I will be taking a schooling whip down with me, If he comes to close and doesn't listen to me when I ask him to move away from me, I will use the whip on his shoulder. The owners reply.... "OK"

I also let the YO know and she told him he needs to start doing more with Horse as next time it could be worse and I was lucky to get up unhurt. He then text me to say sorry and could I show him this behaviour when I am up later.

There were 2 other Horses in the field at the time so it wasn't because the mans Horse was going to be alone, once I had taken mine out.

Why oh why do people get Horses, when they know absolutly sod all about them! They are not a small animal FGS and need to be put in their place! Letting animals walk all over you is sooner or later going to cause problems and I couldv'e been seriously hurt yesterday! :mad:

spike123

Visit site
sounds like the mans gelding is in love with your mare and is trying to basically stop you taking her away. The behaviour he is showing is dangerous but is not something you can train out of him. The only way to stop it is to separate the 2 horses. Another thing you can do if this isn't possible is set up a pen inside the gate that you have to go through to get to the main gate so should something like that happen again at least there is less likelihood of either horse getting out of the field and getting hurt.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Bring the gelding in first ( with owners permission) and then return for your mare.
Please do not bring a lunging whip into the field.
Its not an uncommon problem and if the horse is well mannered in hand, its the least stressful solution for everyone.

zaminda

Visit site
To me it sounds like the horse is bored, and I can't blame it really! At least he kept it when he split up with his girlfriend, rather than trying to palm off a lame horseon smeone else. It would probably help if he messed about with it a bit more, or if someone did at least. Mine can be a bit like this if they aren't doing anything, even if they aren't quite sound, like the old girl!

LaurenBay

Visit site
Sorry I think I shouldv'e explained a bit better.

Even if I go in to poo pick or check the feild etc, we are all hounded by this Horse, who will sometimes refuse to back up when asked or move him over. The reason this Horse is starting to be rude is because his owner will never correct the behaviour, even when we have told him he needs too. For example, when he has been grooming, I have seen his Horse snatch away his foot and stomp it down, Now if that were my Horse, I would give a firm no and pick the hoof up again to correct the behaviour so she doesn't get away with it. Mans solution is to let the Horse snatch his foot away, laugh and say "naughty boy" and move on to something else. Another example of something I have witnessed. We both went to the field, both Horses started cantering to us, wereas mine stopped a few meters away and walked a little then stood and waited for me. His Horse got up in his face and almost knocked him over. I wouldv'e asked the Horse to back away from me then caught him. Mans solution, move backwards out of Horses space, tell him "good boy" and give carrot.

It is not so much, that he herds my Horse or even charges at her, as I already said Horses will be Horses. It is the fact that he got in my space to do it. He has little respect for peoples space because of his owner, never correcting him and giving him any boundries to live by.

The reason I am angry is because the owner has let his Horse get away with being rude, and because of this I couldv'e been seriously hurt last night. Oh and he did try to sell the Horse, until we pointed out, it would be kinder to PTS Horse.

The Horse is not in love with mine, he is more then happy to be seperated from her. It's the Horses lack of respect for people that is the problem. He probably is a little bored too! he is an ex dressage Horse and went out competing every weekend in his glory days.

Ibblebibble

Visit site
YO needs to be firmer with the Man who in turn needs to be firmer with Horse;) i can see where you're coming from regarding the manners thing, horse has lost respect for people and is turning into a pain, no fun for anyone who has to work around him.
There was a mare on my old livery yard that was a complete cow bag in the field, would chase my mare off when i went to catch her, would try and barge through the gateways in front of you :rolleyes: we separated them in the end after my mare panicked and ran over the top of me.

zaminda

Visit site
The boredom thing is so hard to deal with. I personally hate people letting their horses get away with murder. 1/2 a tonne of animal doing what it wants? Grrrr. This is one of the reasons our 1/5 lame mare still gets lunged, hogged, andsometimes hacked out, when she is sound enough (when she generally reverts to type and buggers off). If he won't handle it, could you or Y/O mess about with it occasionally?

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Feeding treats in the field isn't a good idea. Perhaps suggest that no one enters the field with food or food in pockets.
Does the horse associate you with food or is it just the owner who feeds in the field ? Usually horses soon learn who's worth hassling and who isn't.

LaurenBay

Visit site
He never used to be so rude. But then again the man was takin him for short in hand walks and bringing him in everyday to groom. Now they have been staying out he doesn't want to come up and just pays YO to rug Horse. He probably is just bored and wants to come in, he won't go for the other 2 Horses as they are more dominant then him so he turns his attention to mine.

Littlelegs

Visit site
Even if the owner let's it get away with murder, most horses quickly catch on to who they can & can't mess about with. We have a rising 3 yr old on ours whose owners involvement with horses began when she bought it as a foal. She also has no desire to learn in any way, shape or form, & the horse does as he pleases with her. However he is good with me & several others as he knows we won't tolerate being barged over or allow him to drag us round. No reason you couldn't do the same with this horse.

LaurenBay

Visit site
I never feed treats. She may get the odd polo but never in the field. YO doesn't feed hers treats either. This Horse is fed countless amounts of treats. This Horse is very food aggresive, that is his only vice when handling and being in a stable.

Phoebe

Visit site
I dont know, I had a terrible one in the field that was perfect to handle out of it. would herd everyone away, lash out - worse in spring when the space where his testicles once were apparently started to tingle. Nightmare. He was older too and very set in his ways. In his eyes the field was where he did horse stuff and he was going to do it regardless!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Sounds like the horse is actually looking for attention.

Time for the YO to get on the phone and tell the owner that he expects to see him at least once a day......

Keen

Visit site
I am glad to hear you were not hurt.

'Man' sounds quite nice, bless him! It would nice of you to share your knowledge with him, as this has what he asked. You might get on well, and he will learn a lot faster from someone showing him thean any amount of reading up. Everyone starts somewhere with horses.

fatpiggy

Visit site
Unfortunately being a novice/knowledgeless owner doesn't automatically make the horse behave like that - I've known plenty of very experienced owners who didn't seem to have a clue (or care) about ground training. This horse sounds like it is craving attention. There is a gelding like that where I keep my mare - the owner only comes down once in a blue moon and the horse sees all his field companions being handled and given attention so he comes over constantly to see if there is a bit going spare for him.

LaurenBay

Visit site
I think it is a bordem thing, he is a sweetie on the yard. When I meet with owner later I will suggest to him, that he starts the inhand walks again to give the Horse something to do. I already do enough for this man, so don't want to start working with the Horse too, although I am glad to give pointers and advice if it makes for a happier Horse and easier for me to get in and out.

PandorasJar

Visit site
Feeding treats in the field isn't a good idea. Perhaps suggest that no one enters the field with food or food in pockets.
Does the horse associate you with food or is it just the owner who feeds in the field ? Usually horses soon learn who's worth hassling and who isn't.

I feed mine out in the field. The horses took about 30 seconds to realise who was never going to get any and that hassling doesn't work.

Other owner in the field tidbits mine and she started getting grabby with her. I told her not to feed when grabbing at all, and to only treat if she wanted to and when mine was bein good. She now knows that if she grabs it's game over and no treat so she doesn't bother. Horses are fine to feed in the field (within reason and knowing the other horses and temperaments. I wouldn't in a large herd) as long as they are not dictating the feed.

Pan

PandorasJar

Visit site
I think it is a bordem thing, he is a sweetie on the yard. When I meet with owner later I will suggest to him, that he starts the inhand walks again to give the Horse something to do. I already do enough for this man, so don't want to start working with the Horse too, although I am glad to give pointers and advice if it makes for a happier Horse and easier for me to get in and out.

Why not suggest finding a local older teen to shower affection and do ground rules. I used to love doing this and as long as you find someone decent theres no worries.

Pan

LaurenBay

Visit site
I'm not sure that he'd be able to find someone. Most people would want riding in return for jobs and grooming/ giving affection. And he is unsound and as far as I know a sharp ride (my YO has ridden him before the soundess issues)

PandorasJar

Visit site
Loads of people in my area just love being around them. I worked in yards for free for years for no riding taught me all the basics I needed to move on.
I'm not saying jobs and grooming, I'm saying cuddles and playing. Company etc.

Pan

Mlini

Visit site
Theres a horse on my yard that sounds very similar. He is now turned out alone so can't get in anyones way/hurt anyone etc. He got very attached to my boy and it made my life soooo difficult.

With him it's a boredom thing. He is young and has gone from previous home doing lots of work, to here doing little-no work. :(

Saucisson

Visit site
Obviously, I don't know the horse or the man involved but this sounds a bit harsh to me.

It sounds like this chap is totally non-horsey, bought the horse on a whim to impress girlfriend of the time and is now trying to look after him. At the end of the day at least he's stuck by the horse, I can't imagine that many lame 19 year-olds would have a particularly sunny outlook on the open market.

If he's completely non-horsey then he won't have a clue about what to accept and not to accept. Fair play to him for cleaning his feet out and putting the effort in.

As for the horse, well maybe he is a bit bored but unless he's shows a flair for playing chess or Sudoku then I'm thinking that a lame 19 year old horse isn't going to be doing an awful lot and let's be grateful his owner isn't someone who thrashes him over jumps etc

The helpful teenager sounds like a plan though? Or maybe he'll get another horsey girlfriend? Are you single OP? :D

LaurenBay

Visit site
Thats when he goes up to see the Horse Sausisson. He has had 3 warnings already from YO for not turning up to see to his Horse and not letting either of us know. So his Horse stands in a dirty stable, with no rug, no water and no hay for an entire night. On Sunday, we left out overnight. YO and I had already been to see our Horses. At 6 PM he texts us to tell us he can't come up as he has to see his mother. We text back to tell him that Horses are staying out, so only needs to go up and rug, we had already been up so wasn't going up again as we were seeing our mothers (it was Mothers day) he text back and said that he would go up and rug after dinner. YO goes up on Monday at 6AM to find a very cold shivery Horse. He is an old man, poor doer, no muscle and has been rugged all winter. It reached -3 that night!! He got another warning for that. But we can't kick him off the yard because he will be forever moving from yard to yard. Can't report him as Horse is well looked after (YO or I end up doing him)

I am single :p but his not my type! Lol

Littlelegs

Visit site
Just a thought, not sure what the insurance complications are now, but years ago many horseless teens would have jumped at the chance of having a horse to be around. Or would he pay yo, you, freelance groom to look after it?

LaurenBay

Visit site
I will suggest putting an advert up looking for someone to come up and have a play with him. He used to pay YO to ride him, when he first moved up. YO only rode him 3 times, then Horse went lame.

LaurenBay

Visit site
She already does AmyMay. We have a big list up at the yard of all the services she offers and pricing. She writes down exactly what she and I do and then charges him for it. He pays it without complaint, but doesn't change his attitude. It really is a mystery, because despite what is written on here, he really does love the Horse. He chats away to him, cuddles/kisses him constantly. He even made up a song for him. Through winter when I suggested changing feed, he did so without question. When Horse ripped his rug, he got a brand new one right away. He will go through stages off going up every day and making a huge fuss of the Horse, but then the next week, he might not even come up and doesn't tell anyone about it :confused:. He is harmless and nice, but needs to re arrange his priorities better. But it falls on deaf ears!

PandorasJar

Visit site
She already does AmyMay. We have a big list up at the yard of all the services she offers and pricing. She writes down exactly what she and I do and then charges him for it. He pays it without complaint, but doesn't change his attitude. It really is a mystery, because despite what is written on here, he really does love the Horse. He chats away to him, cuddles/kisses him constantly. He even made up a song for him. Through winter when I suggested changing feed, he did so without question. When Horse ripped his rug, he got a brand new one right away. He will go through stages off going up every day and making a huge fuss of the Horse, but then the next week, he might not even come up and doesn't tell anyone about it :confused:. He is harmless and nice, but needs to re arrange his priorities better. But it falls on deaf ears!

This to me sounds like there is something more going on in his life :confused:

Pan

LaurenBay

Visit site
There very well might be, although he seems happy enough. But even if he does have problems, he is not being fair to his Horse. Or to us.