Why do people not do the right thing?? or do they think they are

be positive

Visit site
I am not sure what to think, I know people do have serious changes in circumstances but is it right to try and rehome 2 such elderly ponies that owe nothing to their owners , they may try and find a genuine home but is it likely that anyone will want to take them on, I could not do it to any of mine they would be pts at home together rather than risk them ending up in the wrong place.

I do feel a bit judgemental posting this but I was shocked to see the ad and wanted other views.

http://www.nfed.co.uk/cgi-bin/class...lay_db_button=on&db_id=105330&query=retrieval

Spring Feather

Visit site
Depending on how elderly the ponies are, and how good they are, there is often continuation of life with another owner. I bought a 31 year old horse back in 2008 and he is still going strong. I haven't regretted buying him and he obviously has a home with me for life. I don't like to see horses in their late 20s, 30s being rehomed however but when needs must then if the owner can be assured of a superb final home for the horse then I see no reason to kill the horse just because the present owner is no longer able to care for it. It does take a lot of research and careful planning to do it right though and sometimes when people are stuck between a rock and a hard place they make bad decisions. So one has to be very careful in rehoming old horses.

pennyturner

Visit site
I felt the same when I saw that ad.

However, there's always the chance that a loan to someone local, where you can keep in touch. It might give them a few extra happy years. Worth a try, if you vet the offers carefully, although I'm not sure they'll get many.

gingernut81

Visit site
It is very sad that at this grand age they are being moved on, but we do not know the circumstances under which they are therefore I do not feel that we should judge. Surely it's better to rehome if they can no longer afford to keep them then let them become a "rescue" case, if that is the reason?

be positive

Visit site
I felt the same when I saw that ad.

However, there's always the chance that a loan to someone local, where you can keep in touch. It might give them a few extra happy years. Worth a try, if you vet the offers carefully, although I'm not sure they'll get many.

That's what I thought it is hard to judge without knowing the reason but I find it hard to imagine them getting a genuine offer, they want to gift rather than loan which is what I find so sad.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
The advert states they are in good health and they look good for their age, but they have obviously been kept that way, it does not just happen. Worries me that someone will think it is a kindness to put them in a grassy field and let nature look after them. For me it would a sunny afternoon, a bag of apples, a lot of tears and a trusted vet.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Better to give them a chance than no chance at all. It'd be a shame to PTS 2 healthy ponies because of their age alone. The advertiser is trying to find a solution. Euthansia may be the final option if a good home can't be found, but I certainly wouldn't criticise the owner for trying to rehome them together.

It's not that unusual, I know of quite a few oldies in their 20's that have been re homed to the most wonderful people. A death sentence should never be the first choice for a healthy horse.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Better to give them a chance than no chance at all. It'd be a shame to PTS 2 healthy ponies because of their age alone. The advertiser is trying to find a solution. Euthansia may be the final option if a good home can't be found, but I certainly wouldn't criticise the owner for trying to rehome them together.

It's not that unusual, I know of quite a few oldies in their 20's that have been re homed to the most wonderful people. A death sentence should never be the first choice for a healthy horse.

I agree with you, but 29 is heck of an age and realistically the care and welfare is going to get more and more challenging. It worries me that the type of people that may be drawn to the ponies are the wrong type.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
If those are recent pics, then they are in great nick for their age. They must be well cared for. Anyone who's had oldies will know that it gets harder and harder to keep them looking well.

A very painful decision, but if it was me, I would PTS if I could no longer keep them.

Hippona

Visit site
If those are recent pics, then they are in great nick for their age. They must be well cared for. Anyone who's had oldies will know that it gets harder and harder to keep them looking well.

A very painful decision, but if it was me, I would PTS if I could no longer keep them.

Same here. A guaranteed end....it's what you owe them.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
The advert states they are in good health and they look good for their age, but they have obviously been kept that way, it does not just happen. Worries me that someone will think it is a kindness to put them in a grassy field and let nature look after them. For me it would a sunny afternoon, a bag of apples, a lot of tears and a trusted vet.
I also agree with this, they have had a good long life why give them away and risk someone neglecting them.

Equi

Visit site
I struggle to rehome anything. I cried my eyes out when my two wild budgies had to go back to a very large aivary because they were not doing very well in a cage. It took me two years and a few panic attacks to go through with selling my horse that was completely unsuitable for me.

Id starve before i would get rid of my mare, shes everything to me! She has given me so much more than i can ever give to her.

moana

Visit site
Sadly many people are too soft to consider PTS as an option. Ideally this would be a good choice, but we do not know the real condition, activity levels and circumstances for re homing this pair.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Same here. A guaranteed end....it's what you owe them.

Never been in that situation but I that's where I am I think.
I mean who wants to take on 2 29 yo ponies the PTS and disposal costs alone would put you off and teeth care in the oldie it's too much of a risk IMO.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I wish I hadn't looked at that ad... it makes me so sad that people advertise animals for free without thinking what may become of them. by all means find them a home through your vet,farrier,riding club,friends but not strangers who may just ride them into the ground or sell them on....if you are not prepared to go the extra mile to make sure of a good home then PTS is the other option. better to go in a home where you are happy than end up at a market somewhere..

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Hmm, I saw that ad too and thought what a shame. We have two 33 year olds at our yard. One of them has been a fantastic grounding for my filly. I guess we don't know the full situation so difficult to pass judgement/comment.

_GG_

Visit site
Ah, if only it was just one I would be very tempted to help. I really want to find something that Dan can ride as well though and I could cope with two easily and three at a push, but 4 would be a definite no. Being totally honest as well, I just absolutely broke my heart giving Molly to the best home she could wish for. I keep bursting into tears when I think about her and I haven't sobbed like this for a very long time. I actually don't think I could bring horses into the family knowing that "that" time is so much closer :(

My heart says to take them, I will have the space, but my head says no and I don't even have to ask Dan....he would never agree to it due to their age and how much it would upset him to see them die.

I hate situations like this. I do think it's worth finding a home for them and giving them a chance, but I couldn't bear to advertise them like this. Molly went to the people that have her now because we have very trusted mutual friends. The idea of these ponies going to complete strangers at this stage in life is actually quite upsetting.

It would be a lovely final meal and a goodbye for me I'm afraid. I just couldn't risk their future.

Tickles

Visit site
I love the way that one these threads you always get a bunch of people (person A, person B, person C,...) who would PTS their elderly horses rather than rehome them. Presumably that means that person A thinks they would provide a far better home than person B who thinks they would provide a far better home than person A etc etc?

Or maybe they are just all worried that person B is actually person X, Y or Z who would really provide a poor home. But that risk applies to some extent whatever the age of the animal.

I couldn't see if the gelding was also for rehoming but the same person (googled phone number) has also just sold a boat so presumably cash/time/energy in shorter supply than anticipated.

It can happen to even seemly well-prepared people, and doesn't have to mean the end for their animals. I've had several aged hand-me-downs, albeit smaller ones.

be positive

Visit site
I love the way that one these threads you always get a bunch of people (person A, person B, person C,...) who would PTS their elderly horses rather than rehome them. Presumably that means that person A thinks they would provide a far better home than person B who thinks they would provide a far better home than person A etc etc?

Or maybe they are just all worried that person B is actually person X, Y or Z who would really provide a poor home. But that risk applies to some extent whatever the age of the animal.

I couldn't see if the gelding was also for rehoming but the same person (googled phone number) has also just sold a boat so presumably cash/time/energy in shorter supply than anticipated.

It can happen to even seemly well-prepared people, and doesn't have to mean the end for their animals. I've had several aged hand-me-downs, albeit smaller ones.

This is why I posted the thread, it is really difficult to judge but how many people are there that are willing to take on 2 elderly horses that they have no history with, keep them for however long they may live naturally at possibly considerable expense as they get older, then pay around £800 to dispose of them humanely at home when the time comes. Very different from taking on one fairly useful pony to do a job, even if limited to pottering on a lead rein with a young child for a few years then retiring to the field, these two are seemingly healthy but that could change rapidly, as it can with one of any age but more likely as they get to be 30 plus, there will be no insurance so the new owners will either have to make the decision to pts or spend money treating them, if they end up, despite the best efforts of the current owners, in the wrong hands then they could spend their final days suffering, I still feel that if they were mine I would let them go while I have control.

It is not a case of feeling that I am the only person that is able to care for them, more that I would feel responsible if passing them on did not work out well, I happily sell on younger fit horses, yes I do still have concerns but if they are placed in suitable homes, they do their job and hopefully stay for a long time that owner takes on the responsibility of securing their future as best they can.

Spring Feather

Visit site
It is not a case of feeling that I am the only person that is able to care for them, more that I would feel responsible if passing them on did not work out well, I happily sell on younger fit horses, yes I do still have concerns but if they are placed in suitable homes, they do their job and hopefully stay for a long time that owner takes on the responsibility of securing their future as best they can.
I don't think age has anything to do with this part of your post. It doesn't matter how old or young the horse is, we surely all strive to do as much research and checking on any potential buyer for any age of horse. Well I certainly do anyway. I've had my old 1977 model for 6 years; no I never expected him to live this long if I am honest, but he has and I'm pleased he's been able to enjoy 6 good years more of his long life. As far as I'm concerned, my old boy can die when he's good and ready to die, not before :smile3:

be positive

Visit site
I don't think age has anything to do with this part of your post. It doesn't matter how old or young the horse is, we surely all strive to do as much research and checking on any potential buyer for any age of horse. Well I certainly do anyway. I've had my old 1977 model for 6 years; no I never expected him to live this long if I am honest, but he has and I'm pleased he's been able to enjoy 6 good years more of his long life. As far as I'm concerned, my old boy can die when he's good and ready to die, not before :smile3:

I know you certainly make every effort to place your horses in super homes, as do I when I sell one but many people are not so interested in where they go as seen on many threads when horses are sold to unsuitable homes or sellers lie to get rid of problem horses, the good ones are so much easier to sell on, it is the difficult or older ones that require far more care to place, which is why I also have a collection here living out their days, we are lucky that we have the space to keep them, it must be so hard if you do not own the land or lose it for some reason, much more difficult if you rent or are at livery.
I had a 1978 model that left us last year, at one time I thought he would see us all out but suddenly age caught up with him.

Spring Feather

Visit site
I know you certainly make every effort to place your horses in super homes, as do I when I sell one but many people are not so interested in where they go as seen on many threads when horses are sold to unsuitable homes or sellers lie to get rid of problem horses, the good ones are so much easier to sell on, it is the difficult or older ones that require far more care to place, which is why I also have a collection here living out their days, we are lucky that we have the space to keep them, it must be so hard if you do not own the land or lose it for some reason, much more difficult if you rent or are at livery.
I had a 1978 model that left us last year, at one time I thought he would see us all out but suddenly age caught up with him.
Oh yes for sure it has to be sole destroying if you end up in a sticky situation and don't own your own land so are forced to move on the horses. I'm wondering whether it's easier over here to find out information on people though than it maybe is in England. I never have any trouble researching interested parties and I usually know someone who knows someone who knows the buyer and can vouch for them.

I hear you; I am wondering whether my old man will see out another winter tbh, he's done so well but he's only had 3 working teeth for the past few years, and they were wobbly then. He's always done well over the winters, but this winter was an extremely hard, long and super-cold winter and he hasn't fared as good as usual. When I was feeding him one of his many feeds yesterday I think one of his teeth has shifted and we may be down to only two barely working teeth.

Billabongchick

Visit site
There are a lot of wealthy people in this area with small holdings; there is no reason why somebody might not like quiet ponies as pets for visiting grand kids to brush or as companions and they may well have the money and time to input into them. We don't know the circumstances (sad by the sound of it) but it is worth the lady at least trying to source a home as they look in good nick and PTS would only be an option in my mind if she really can't find anyone suitable. It's a very horsey and monied area.

popeyesno1fan

Visit site
Such a hard decision, and I have had a few oldies, but i couldn't rehome ponies of that age. I would most definitely pts. At that age, I'd at least know that nobody was abusing or trying to make money from. I have a 19 yr old pony that I love, who we have with 3 yrs, and the kids have had great fun on. He has arthritis in his right hock and goes lame every so often. The woman who I bought him from rang to buy him back last week, but i declined. I'll keep him until he's not able anymore and then pts, but if I had to make that decision right now, I'd put him down. Tough decision though!!!

_GG_

Visit site
Why would I not advertise free to good home? Because you attract the wrong people....we've had enough threads on here about quite a prolific "rehomer" that certainly does not give your beloved horse a permanent loving home.

Molly was a bit different as she's a young competition horse, but had she been an elderly and I had to rehome her, which I would look to do if it was something a horse could cope well with, I would do it the same way...through word of mouth and trusted friends.

I dislike the kind of posts that make people feel guilty for wanting to PTS on the basis that we think nobody else can look after our horses as well as us. If that's what some people think fine, but that's not all of us and can sound a little sanctimonious. Instead, some of us just prefer a guarantee for our horses, not uncertainty. You can get all of the references in the world, but if it is someone you don't know...you just don't know. There is a woman locally about to have the remainder of her horses removed by the RSPCA, she has no problem getting glowing references when she wants to take another one on loan or to rehome as she just has people willing to bend the truth for her. Would I want a horse of mine in her care, hell no.

There is only one way to guarantee the future of our horses....anything else is a case of mitigating risk. I do that by only considering people with trusted recommendation, not strangers with a few references from other strangers.

unicornystar

starbug02.wix.com
I would (and this is just me......and my own opinion)....never pass on anything dangerous, in pain, elderly or that had been with me a long time. The reason? because once that horse leaves you there is NO GUARANTEE on it's well being. I recently had a 17 year old tb PTS because he had kissing spines, non operable, problems being handled and clearly was not a happy horse. I have also had a 5 year old pony PTS before because he was riddled with lungworm before we got him and had breathing problems. I would never pass on one of my oldies, I feel I owe it to them to guarantee a painless end and not suffer in any way possible. I dont know how people sleep at night who pass them on! - some people will state it is cruel to destroy something that is still healthy but what of it's future????

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I am someone who has had horses over the last 47years and none of mine have ever been rehomed because I couldn't ride them or couldn't afford them. mine all lived to a good old age and were PTS at their yard with me in attendance. my current horse is 23, sound enough to do a bit of slow hacking , and is costing me a fortune as she has cushings and the medication alone is costing £120 a month..however she will stay at the current diy livery yard as long as she is happy and enjoying life...I will then arrange for PTS at the yard and I will be there to the end....If people feel they have to rehome that's fine, BUT not by advertising to the general public. if a home cannot be guaranteed the PTS is not the worst that can happen to any horse let alone an oldie.....

wattamus

Visit site
I have to agree with the majority. I could not sell/ rehome either of mine. Not just because they are old and one of them had health issues but I just couldn't live with myself knowing that there s a RISK not a GUARANTEE that they may not be taken care of well or that they may suffer. I've gone to such extents with my planning that I've eve made an agreement with my parents just incase anything happens to me whilst they are still alive. I'm a strong believer in keeping animals for life unless your keeping them is not in their best interest. I'd rather have them put down with me there than subject hem to an uncertain future :)