why do people 'rescue' a horse and then sell it after a month?!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
This is the second one I have seen this week! Surely if you rescue something in the true sense you would want to see it back to true well being before flogging it again :p.
Can you really claim to have rescued something if you bought it out of a field 3 weeks ago, it still looks rough and are selling it for £400 as an 8 year old with no history because it needs more time than you can give it?
I don't get it.

Abacus

Visit site
I could understand if it was the only option better than the alternative for the horse. i.e. it was about to go for meat or be shot, and someone offers it a home for a few weeks while they try to rehome it properly. They might always have known they couldn't help longer term.

I'm not sure that paying money ever counts as 'rescuing' in the true sense though. Sadly it is supporting the trade or people that put the horse there in the first place. Poor thing.

sychnant

Visit site
the people who rescued Rex did so as he and his dam went through the sales, she was purchased, he was not. He was 4 months old and disposable.

They couldn't keep him long term so advertised, and I bought him a month later.

I call what they did a rescue as he was headed for the meat wagon. He's had his moments but he's a lovely boy and I'm so glad they rescued him so I could have him.

If anyone wants to see how he's come on from when I got him until now, please check out the link in my sig :)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
One of them was from a sale (so I can understand a bit of a mercy buy), and had been with them a few months and did look much better/had been sat on so although I still felt a bit uncomfortable I could see they had done a fair job with her. But the one that has just come up they have had for 3 weeks! They don't know if it is broken but was an irish import at some point so they assume it was hunted etc.

be positive

Visit site
the people who rescued Rex did so as he and his dam went through the sales, she was purchased, he was not. He was 4 months old and disposable.

They couldn't keep him long term so advertised, and I bought him a month later.

I call what they did a rescue as he was headed for the meat wagon. He's had his moments but he's a lovely boy and I'm so glad they rescued him so I could have him.

If anyone wants to see how he's come on from when I got him until now, please check out the link in my sig :)

Taking on a 4 month old foal and giving it a chance even if they only kept him long enough to do the basics and ensure a good home was found is very different to taking on an 8 year old, doing nothing then selling it on for £400, to give the 8 year old a really good chance it needs to be ridden, taken out and about and sold on only once it is relatively established.
I have picked up a few over the years that may have been termed rescues to some, they were all given time, brought on correctly, established in a job that suited the individual then sold on at a sensible price to reflect what they were, one or two had issues that required a lot of care so they stayed here rather than get passed on to an uncertain future.

be positive

Visit site
http://supadu.com/images/ckfinder/64/files/Horse Sale Oct 11 web.pdf

Lot 7 on here. I agree it sounds dodgy but it is what happened. Date of foaling in his passport is 1st June 2011.

They were entered together, probably to make it legal, the buyer probably rejected the colt which ended up on a one way trip, lucky boy that someone took him on and you ended up with him, I couldn't imagine breeding a foal only to send it off to the sales to take it's chance of ending up on a meat lorry because it was a colt not a more desirable filly, hopefully breeders are cutting down so this will happen less to quality ponies, it will still be the fate for many poor quality foals from unregistered stock.

pennyturner

Visit site
Two of mine were bought by a lovely lady as foals for 10 guineas each from Beaulieu Road Sales. She bought them a headcollar, wormed and handled them, and sold them on to me a week later for £40 each delivered, which just about covered her costs.

Without her intervention, they would have gone straight to the meat man, because it was a very slow year at the sales. They're a cracking pair of colts; both with superb temperaments, and one of them particularly well-moving, well grown and flashy. It would have been a great shame.

Hepsibah

Visit site
One of mine was bought for meat money from a lady who was going to PTS because her mystery lameness didn't improve after box rest and the vet said he had done all he could do and she wasn't going to be able to be driven on the roads again. I purchased her as a kind confidence giver/light hack from them a few weeks later and she has become the equine love of my life.