Why do people want to own cobs?

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
I will never understand it.
confused.gif

They are fat, lazy, hairier than Bigfoot, and usually bad tempered.
Their paces are so stilted, that they look as though they've had their legs tied together, which gives the rider a nasty jolty ride.
I suppose I can understand riding schools having them, for the scaredy novices, but once you can rise to the trot, surely you'd buy a decent blood horse, or at least a Warmblood?
Your thoughts?
S
grin.gif

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
not all cobs are like that! ps.. sorry to hear about samham!

[/ QUOTE ]

Samham is alive and well.
In fact he managed to escape overnight on Fri, and made his presence known by plonking his small, hairy bottom onto my bare foot early on Sat morning, which did get quite a reaction.
S
grin.gif

Bills

Visit site
Thats a bit harsh! My friend owns a cob and he's fantastic. There is nothing she cant do with him, and ok he's not going to make it to the olympics but he does everything she asks and makes her happy!! And has even been in the ribbons a fair few times at the local shows. So sorry but im in the Cob fan club lol!
tongue.gif
grin.gif

finefeathers1

Visit site
Are you having a bit of a laugh, love? I can most definitely rise to the trot, and I also own a warmblood which my daughter events, so wont say a word against them. Its really each to their own. My 14.3 hh 16year old irish cob is not hairy (he is clipped and hogged), he has lovely comfy paces, is NOT fat as he is kept in work, is most defintely not lazy or slow, he has feet in proportion to his body and is not grumpy or bad tempered.

I am not a total novice, I have owned him for over 5 years and have done everything from showing to hunting, which he excells at. Everywhere I take him he gets compliments on how smart he is. He is nice tempered and our YO tells me frequently that he is so handsome that if he was a man she would snog his face off (she is a professional event rider and owns many warmbloods).

Sorry, your attitude makes my blood boil. OK, you dont like cobs, but many people do, so I would suggest you keep your opinions private.

Hullabaloo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
confused.gif

Their paces are so stilted, that they look as though they've had their legs tied together, which gives the rider a nasty jolty ride.
I suppose I can understand riding schools having them, for the scaredy novices, but once you can rise to the trot, surely you'd buy a decent blood horse, or at least a Warmblood?
Your thoughts?
S
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're protesting too much and you are really a secret cob owner
grin.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
confused.gif

Your thoughts?S
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooo Shils, you naughty little deamon!!!!!!

My Amy May was a little Section D - and fabulous. She was always trimmed, so never hairy. And in the last working year of her life I hogged her. She was soo smart.

Now one concession to your post is that she could be a little grumpy, and was in fact a riding school reject because of it. She also had a tendancy to the wider girth.

However, at 14.3hh she was the perfect height. She was a cracking hunter and had lovely paces. Not that high jilting trot that you mention.

If I do ever move Thumper on - I would probably only replace him with a Secion D.

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

My Amy May was a little Section D - and fabulous. She was always trimmed, so never hairy. And in the last working year of her life I hogged her. She was soo smart.
<font color="blue">I never said that cobs weren't smarter than their owners, then again...
tongue.gif
</font>

Now one concession to your post is that she could be a little grumpy, and was in fact a riding school reject because of it. She also had a tendancy to the wider girth.
<font color="blue"> A grumpy riding school reject - sounds lovely. </font>

However, at 14.3hh she was the perfect height.
<font color="blue">Perfect height?! What are you, a fcuking hobbit? </font>
If I do ever move Thumper on - I would probably only replace him with a Secion D.
<font color="blue"> Or you could learn to ride, and buy something decent? Just a thought!
grin.gif
</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

S
grin.gif