Why do some horses not get fat?

Lucky788

Visit site
So out walking this weekend and went through field full of grass...and horses that weren’t fat, grass didn’t look great quality but lots of it none the less. I know some of these horses are retired not sure on the rest. Mix of lighter types and some cob types.

Now mine is strip grazed, in work and is doing ok this summer, mean while his field mate is in the rest of the field (grass but not good quality) worked every so often and again... not fat! He is a cobby type too.

So my question - why are some horses fat on grass whilst some stay ok. Is it metabolism or is it just like people some can eat a lot and not put on weight and some can’t?

Palindrome

Visit site
I think it is part metabolism and part how much exercice the horse is getting both in the field and under saddle.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Quality of grass, level and nature of work - both huge factors. But there's almost certainly genetics and physiology at play too - though, of course, these aren't an excuse to have a fat (or thin) horse.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
As well as the above, some eat more. I've got 2 tbs, one overweight and one I just about keep weight on. Fat one is constantly on the look out for food, inhales a haynet in seconds, hoovers his feed up and in hand if i let him graze, eats enthusiastically. Other picks at his net, in hand will spend more time sniffing at different patches than eating, rarely finishes his feed unless it's really small and takes longer to eat his haynets despite having large holes where the other has small.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
I don't know but I can safely say I never want a good doer again, I know that much.

When you purchase the poor doer you will find that what ever you feed they won’t ever have an acceptable body score and everyone, just everyone, will tell you how they would be able to add condition easily!

chaps89

Visit site
I've had a poor doer too. It may be the area I'm in but finding a yard that can accommodate a good doer seems so hard, less so to accommodate something that needs lots of good grazing which I find is usually at least half the battle.
In fairness, my good doer is an extreme, has to be micro managed example and the poor doer I had wasn't at the same extreme example.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
if you can manage them yourself and once you get your head around it, good doers are cheaper and quite easy-especially in winter when I don't have to worry about wet, stinking rugs, buying hard feed and whether their rugs are going to be alright in xyz weather.

with the good doer I look at how much food/forage I want to give them (including grazing), put 3/4 of it back/restrict it and give them the rest.

Mule

Visit site
Some just don't seem as bothered about food as others. One of mine has always been thin. He'll stroll off without finishing his hay, whereas the two fatties have to be prized away :rolleyes:

Mule

Visit site
if you can manage them yourself and once you get your head around it, good doers are cheaper and quite easy-especially in winter when I don't have to worry about wet, stinking rugs, buying hard feed and whether their rugs are going to be alright in xyz weather.

with the good doer I look at how much food/forage I want to give them (including grazing), put 3/4 of it back/restrict it and give them the rest.
I'd be ok with a good doer myself but I share with a family member who likes to stuff them with food:rolleyes: Keeping their weight in check is a constant struggle.

only_me

Visit site
I think their first 3 years of life may play a part, like if they were restricted grazing so they learnt to eat as much as possible or if were chucked out in massive field so they learnt to eat when hungry,

Billy is currently on a diet, as he’s a bit fat but certainly not obese (between a 6-7/10) probably a but definitely needs to loose weight. He’s also been in with a abscess so he’s on hay, which I’ve been weighing. He’s approx 17h hunter and I’d imagine 650kg or thereabouts (weigh tape doesn’t actually fit him, he’s too broad in barrel/wide) so has been getting two hay nets a day of 5kg and but some days he will have hay left and some days nothing - it’s odd!

He’s always been like that though, in winter when him and the donks are out they get a big bale Haylage and it lasts usually around 3 weeks - they don’t stand and gorge.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I think their first 3 years of life may play a part, like if they were restricted grazing so they learnt to eat as much as possible or if were chucked out in massive field so they learnt to eat when hungry,

Well mine were all moor bred so certainly not restricted in their early years. Saying that, my last exmoor and current fell were restricted at some point before I got them-the fell was very lean ( for a fell) when I got him and he was an arse about food with the other pony for over a year. He's much better now but he never stops eating and will eat anything-even the treated cavianthus bedding I used to use. Current exmoor has never been restricted, although is sometimes muzzled, and he does self regulate somewhat and is also given to running about more. But they are also designed to be out in harsh weather and on poor grazing, so they are 🙂

blitznbobs

Visit site
Not always, it's also genetic. Some people/horses/dogs/cats/etc etc are genetically disposed to putting on weight more easily.
This is a minimal effect the actual genetic thing is how much you eat. This is controlled by hormones but the studies show that naturally thin people actually get full sooner and eat less.

Bernster

Visit site
As well as the above, some eat more. I've got 2 tbs, one overweight and one I just about keep weight on. Fat one is constantly on the look out for food, inhales a haynet in seconds, hoovers his feed up and in hand if i let him graze, eats enthusiastically.

This is Finnegan! Very food orientated. Gains weight at the slightest sniff of good grass/hay. Bit like me but I’m far better at managing his weight than my own.

oldie48

Visit site
Some breeds are not suitable for keeping on pasture as my lovely vet said" Welsh ponies are designed to live on stones and lichen, anything else and they get too fat" It's certainly been true of the welsh ponies I've had and they have also been eating machines. Even muzzled they still manage to consume a lot of grass.

Peter7917

Visit site
Its odd isn't it.

My first forester would never get fat. Didn't matter how much grass he was on and how little work, he always just looked a nice weight.

My current forester is in a dirt patch, with soaked hay and straw, getting plenty of exercise and still resembles a bull calf.

windand rain

Visit site
My highlands are rarely fat they do have an off button and are often seen just standing snoozing the laminitic dartmoor however eats constantly given half a chance, like every blade of grass is his last. The highlands are not particularly restricted but Dartie is so I think how restricted they are plays a part too. Of course his initial bout of laminitis has meant I cannot change the fact he needs restriction so I dont know if you can reverse the effect

LegOn

Visit site
My horse doesnt put on weight easily!! He is ID x Connie and is out in a field full of grass day & night & gets 2 full feeds a day (was getting 3!) and he just isnt a big eater though, you cant give him too much hard feed cause he just doesnt eat it! He has plenty of condition on him but you wouldnt say he is fat or anything of the sort - showing gets comments of could do with a bit more on him but he just doesnt put it on easily!

He gets worked about 5/6 days a week with a variety of lunging and hacking, jumping & flatwork but wouldnt be hard or long sessions!

Micky

Visit site
This is a minimal effect the actual genetic thing is how much you eat. This is controlled by hormones but the studies show that naturally thin people actually get full sooner and eat less.
I was skinny malinky for most of my life (in my 50’s now) as in 8 and a half stone 5’8, ate food like it was going out of fashion, (2 roast dinners!) didn’t put an ounce of weight on, sister, father etc all the same, didn’t really exercise etc..genetics has a lot to do with it in my opinion..😁

Annagain

Visit site
We have 4 horses of similar size and build - slightly different mix of breeds but all 16.2-17hh hunter types with a bit of native / draught and a bit of TB. They're in the same field and until recently were worked very similar amounts before age started catching up with some more than others. They're all 20+. We have one whose owner is constantly battling to keep weight on him, one who is always just right and never changes, one who is always on a diet and one who will fluctuate 40-50kg between summer and winter if left to his own devices. It's really interesting to see the differences between them. Luckily mine is the one who's always just right and my share horse is the one who fluctuates if allowed. He seems particularly responsive to grass so when he has good grass he balloons and when he doesn't, weight drops off him. He drops weight form mid Feb - April so we allow him to put a bit back on until about mid May then start keeping an eye on him until the grass has gone to seed, normally about this time of year. He's then got unlimited access until Sept - Oct when we watch him and restrict it if necessary then can eat to his heart's content until May again.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site

That's why mine are interesting. Both the same breed - tb. Both ex racers and had a similar early life going into training and would have been restricted in terms of forage. Both useless so didn't have much of a racing career, one rame last twice, one ddn't run at all as too slow to waste entry fees. Both came out at about 4 yo and I got both at 5.

Despite similar early years, they have a very different attitude to food.

Not saying it doesn't play a part but it also seems that like people, it's to do with appetite and feeling full and off button.

scruffyponies

Visit site
Stress plays a part. Some horses worry themselves thin no matter what you do. Others react to food stress by fixating on eating. For this reason restricting grazing is a double-edged sword. I once had one that turned from good to poor doer almost overnight after he was hunted - it just went to his head and changed his attitude to life.

I have a field full of natives and despite the 24/7 availability of grass they spend long periods not eating... why? because they don't expect the grass to disappear any time soon, so they're happy to stand around in the shade grooming or whatever. That said, in winter if they're on the very last of the foggage, some of them will happily eat the fence posts, (and put weight on doing it) :D

dogatemysalad

Visit site
We had a family h/w cob who could get fat on fresh air. Over the years I played about with different types of management, including restricted grazing either by strip grazing or part time stabling. With him, I discovered that it made no difference than when he was out with a herd in 15 acre pasture. Having space and a social group, enabled him to keep moving and to interact through grooming and play.
The only effective way to manage his weight, was to exercise him daily.

SEL

Visit site
Why do some people not get fat ... generally they just naturally eat less.

I worked with a tiny lady who was always stuffing herself with crisps. She never put on weight but got a shock when bloods came back with high cholesterol.
Some breeds are not suitable for keeping on pasture as my lovely vet said" Welsh ponies are designed to live on stones and lichen, anything else and they get too fat" It's certainly been true of the welsh ponies I've had and they have also been eating machines. Even muzzled they still manage to consume a lot of grass.

I walk past the field of an obese Welsh pony every day. It's really sad. The paddock is small, but the grass is rich and this year it's growing up around him. Stones and lichen is exactly what he needs.