Why do the first few days of having new horse have to be stressful?!

LauraBR

Visit site
After yesterdays travel drama.... today... another horse has kicked the hell out of him in the field. 10 inch nasty gash down the inside f his off hind and a few other smaller cuts on both hinds. It is fairly superficial but not nice... POOR LAD.

Was worried about him this morning as he was REALLY unsettled, visibly stressed and upset but this evening he actually seemed much better, almost relaxed... so I'm feeling much better!

Fingers crossed the pecking order gets sorted out sooner rather than later. Stuck pics of his newly trimmed mane below, looks much smarter I think!
1.jpg

1face.jpg

Clodagh

Visit site
Hes a really lovely looking boy. I may have missed something, but can he not be put on his own to start with?
I hope you are both very happy together, you deserve it, having been following your posts about Fal!
crazy.gif

I think its traumatic so in a years time you can look back and sigh with relief!
smile.gif

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
Unfortunately that seems to be horses for you, they need to sort out the hierarchy. I’m sure everything will settle down in a couple of days. Looking forward to pictures of you riding him!!!

_jetset_

Visit site
He's absolutely stunning... you definitely made the right decision.

My mare took a good couple of weeks to settle when I moved her to our current yard, and I had already owned her for two years. I think some are just a bit more stressy than others. I am sure he will settle once the pecking order is established, I think that helps a lot.

Rebecca

LauraBR

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I may have missed something, but can he not be put on his own to start with?

[/ QUOTE ]

All of the fields have horses in who are out 24x7 and tbh given that his settling in problems seem to be centred around panicking about where ALL the other horses are I'm not sure putting him out alone would work.

Got him out early this morning and horses were added in one by one... grazing happily when we left but obviously it all kicked off later on... I'm hoping he'll know his place now he's had a kicking
frown.gif

RunToEarth

Visit site
Oh you are doing very well, I was reduced to tears every day for the first week when I bought Mally!
He looks very very well, reminds me sooo much of one of my rides, Eric
laugh.gif

draycotthouse18.jpg

SP_A4140-1.jpg

SP_A4256.jpg

RunToEarth

Visit site
Well fingers crossed for you they have the same temp, eric is like a TB dope on a rope, easy to do, little gem, some would say a cob in disguise, but my god has he got talent! Wishing you all the luck in the world with the new one, you seem to pick the same type as me, my old chesty was identical to Fal, in looks and in nature (why I had to sell) and Eric looks just like this gem you have
smile.gif
x