Why do they do it?

Samoan

New User
Visit site
I'm not new, just in disguise!

There is a girl on my yard who is very very novicey and has owned her irish cob pony for 2 yrs but had very little experience before she bought him and he was sold to her with hidden joint problems and ended up a year on box rest so she has hardly had any riding time with him.

She took him to a little show the other week and won a walk & trot test. He is still sometimes up to 2/10 lame and it is still touch and go about how sound he'll stay. Now she has the bug for competing she is thinking about buying something else as she doesn't think this little pony can take her any further because of his joint problems.

This is all fair enough but why at the weekend did she go to view a 6yr andalucian who needs lots of work? I've seen this before, someone who is very novicey getting the bug for competing and thinks because of 1 good result that they can "do it". The other person I saw do this sold her beautiful TB gelding who was sane and talented and bought a totally off his rocker warmblood who scared the living c**p out of her and she could only walk it around the school.

Fair enough if this girl wants to progress and her pony can't help her do that because of his leg problems but why doesn't she buy a lovely native cross who is at least 10 yrs who has been there and done it abit and can teach her what she needs to know?!

Sorry for the rant and maybe I'm completely wrong?!

Samoan

New User
Visit site
She is a grown woman in her thirties!
crazy.gif

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Oh dear... I've seen this happen too. In fact, this is how Antifaz ended up with his current owner who then, unintentionally (as she's not very horsey) paid a barbaric w*nker to 'school' him...
It's very sad for horse and rider... I hope you find some way to discourage this lady from overhorsing herself.

Claireg9

Visit site
Ow no so many people over horse there selves!
Its a real shame, but from what i know about Andiluscians (SP) they have a great attitude to work and to management, so maybe just maybe by some miracle she might be lucky and end up with a good one. Maybe suggest she takes someone experienced with her... Instructor or someone like you to view any horses she has her eye on to give advice and a second opinion! I still like to have someone there and ive beenriding since i was 18 months old and am now 24!
I watched a documentary where one of the top class riders took someone too!

GTs

Visit site
Oh I knew someone who had ZERO riding experience - spend her life savings (talking tens of thousands) to buy a Fresian, who was in foal, from a website and had it imported from Holland.

The problem is people get over confident on good horses, and think they can ride. Riding school are where this happens the most, people ride the 'difficult' ones there, where all they need is a strong rider, and a good whipping, and think they can ride young/problem horses.

TBH I would not worry about it - nothing you can do!!

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
Something similar is happening on my yard. A woman riding for one week thinks she is ready to own TB 5 year old! I watched her riding and I have to say the whole thing looked dangerous.