Why do we do it?

my bfg

Visit site
I receive regular chiropractic treatment following a fall a few years ago, last friday my mare played up when the farrier tried removing a shoe, I decided to try and got my arm ripped apart by the clenches, turned out they were painful as shes developed seedy toe, scrubbing said seedy toe effected feet last night and she spooked and jumped on my foot (was wearing yard boots) after several hours in A&E found my big toe is fractured.

After hobbling into work this morning I was asked why I have a horse when it can lead me to get injured.

The whinny when I walk on the yard, the mini bronc when she spots me walking to the paddock, the times I feel we are working as a team when riding, when she spooks at something and trusts me when I say its OK to walk past it, when she rests her head on my shoulder and sighs as if she's completely contented

That's why I have a horse

What makes everything worth it for you? x

Last edited:

Lillybob

Visit site
The funny moments she has where she will do something so adorably stupid that it just makes me love that I have her in my life! E.g Saying hello to my Mums car and hitting her head on the wingmirror before licking it to apologise.
She makes me smile when I feel like I can't and that's why I have a horse :)

SpringArising

Visit site
For that moment when something just clicks into place finally. Doesn't have to be riding (in fact, rarely is). Also for the times when one of the horses has just done something super funny or clever off their own back and I'll get tears in my eyes and think "I just love you so much and you'll never know it!".

AppyLover

Visit site
Ted has stamped on my feet more times than I can count and he broke my finger pretty damn good but walking across the paddocks to his and seeing him see me and trot over or gallop from the top of the field to the bottom (In the winter) and come to a sliding stop next to the fence makes it all worth it :) (Well this was before he got a friend now he will come over and see me if the mood strikes him but in the end he will always come to me for cuddles and a good scratch)

JustKickOn

Visit site
She has had me off a few times, bitten me, squashed me against the wall, taken off with a lead rope flying around, jumped on my feet and clobbered me round the head in her excitement. But the way she looks up with ears pricked when I call her in the field and starts her way up to say hello. And the cuddles she insists on to get scratches behind her ears. And just how peaceful it can be spending time with her is enough to stick with it.

This afternoon, I sat in the field in the sunshine for two hours. She followed me out, and stuck her head in my lap for a cuddle and then stood over me the whole time. Had a bit of a cry too and it's as though she knew I was upset. She is my world.

Last edited:

Deltaflyer

Visit site
When I turn my boy out and instead of trotting off to be with his friends he voluntarily stands with me for a cuddle. When I arrive at the yard and his head appears at the window of his stable with an 'Ooo, mummy's here' look on his face.

Nudibranch

Visit site
When I take my giant beast of a 4yo out, and something worries him, and one word or touch reassures him as he trusts me completely (well, I have had him since weaning).

Or like tonight, when I took the dogs for a walk in the fields and the boys decided to join us for a lovely half hour stroll, following on in single file as we ambled around the hedgerows while dusk fell.

Makes all the bruises, broken bones and vet's bills worth it!

Mrs G

Visit site
Ah, some lovely descriptions, brought a lump to my throat! So nice to share with like minded horsey peeps x

cally23

Visit site
When over time, you see a difference. When they know you love them and in their own way give the love back. When my mare now lets me clean her titties and other bits, where she used to shy away from me. Letting me spray that stinky fly spray, that she really hates without making a fuss, letting me use the schooling whip around her face and sides all the way through the forest, to keep the flies away and knowing that the whip is to help and not hurt her. An amazing love affair!

nato

Visit site
Because she's stronger than me and can choose not to do something and win - like go past something scary, jump an intimidating fence or stand quietly tied when I'm washing her tail with freezing water again. But she does it because she's kind hearted, tolerant and trusts me. And no matter what happens she forgives and forgets - more than I can say for humans!

muckypony

Visit site
Because of tisme like this morning when they are all flat out sleeping and you can cuddle them and snooze on them and they have no intention of getting up :)