Why do we still call them ‘gypsy’ cobs?

Cammr

Visit site
Why not romani cobs or just Irish cobs? Since ‘gypsy’ is a slur I would assume Romani people are not ok with they’re horses being called gypsies.. I’ve never heard it questioned though?

But then again racism is something rarely addressed in the equine community so I suppose it shows of a larger issue.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I've always described my mare (photo pic) as a "gypsy" cob, because that is what she is!

She was bred by gypsies and I bought her from a gypsy. I don't see it as a derogatory term in the slightest, the reverse in fact. The gypsy folk have a great wealth of experience to do with horses and what they breed are good useful little cobs with usually a fantastic temperament who've been well brought on and given a good start.

Silver Clouds

Visit site
At least some Gypsies and Travellers call them 'Gypsy cobs' themselves in the adverts when they sell those types of horse (can be seen on various sales sites), so presumably their communities don't all see it as a slur (although I realise that may not necessarily mean that all gypsies are happy with the term).

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
The difference between a Gypsy Cob and a Gypsy Vanner is about $10,000. ;) :p

I can remember reading a thread on COTH that was rather eye opening. The feather care routine that some of these US cobs had was convoluted and over complicated especially when compared to the cobs I used to drive by regularly that were traveller owned and lived out 24/7. They'd (the US cob owners) probably have had a fit if their cob got a bit bog burnt.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Gypsy isn't a racial slur, it's one part of the term romani gypsy, which is an official term for a particular group of people. I think generally it's inappropriate when the word gypsy is used as a slur, in the same way as it's inappropriate for the word gay to be used as a slur.

Using a word for a characteristic that is pretty intrinsic to someone's identity as an insult is generally always least a bit rude.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Never in a million years thought of the description as a racial slur, I have had a good few Gypsy cobs bought from Gypsies over the years and very good, top quality stock can be got even today if you know where to find a genuine gypsy who breeds genuine gypsy cobs.

It only becomes a racial slur when people like the OP try to make it one IMHO - big spoon, filthy old pot, give a good stir and sit back and wait for the desired reaction. Ho hum:rolleyes:

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Gypsy isn't a racial slur, it's one part of the term romani gypsy, which is an official term for a particular group of people. I think generally it's inappropriate when the word gypsy is used as a slur, in the same way as it's inappropriate for the word gay to be used as a slur.

Using a word for a characteristic that is pretty intrinsic to someone's identity as an insult is generally always least a bit rude.
Completely agree.
My favourite Romani Gypsies (who occasionally stay over at my yard when passing through) would also agree. They wouldn't be happy if anyone calls them travellers or even worse. Decent people who have very good gypsy cobs and are rightly proud of them.

OP, you need to get a better understanding of different groups of people and not cast aspersions by generalising.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I think the Romani and Irish travelling people are rightly proud of the blood lines which they kept alive by hiding horses from the army recruiting sergeants, and breeding with coloured stock which the army wouldn't take.

^^^ Yes I've heard this is how the coloured cobs originated! Back in the days when horses were used in war; and what was obviously desirable for camaflage purposes were blacks, bays & browns, whereas a coloured horse wouldn't be any good as it would show up too much!

Clever, very clever!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
friends of mine were in the gypsy community and used to travel all over the country ,and would be horrified if they were called anything else, .... they have lived in a house for many years and pay council tax and all of their bills the same as the rest of us and are proud of their gypsy heritage.... their words for the others are not printable on here..

Snowfilly

Visit site
I know several people in the gypsy communities who would be horrified if you called them travellers. They are gypsies, call their horses gypsy cons and are proud of their background.

I agree the name can be used as an insult. I have seen queer and gay used as insults, but that doesn’t mean they are the wrong words to use for a community.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Irish Travellers and Romany Gypsies are two separate ethnic groups.

Totally this! The former I would send on their way with a swift kick up their scraggy thieving little arse - the latter I have happily welcomed as they are passing through, and spent a happy hour or two leaning on the field gate discussing their horses and mine.