Why do you stable your horse in winter?

Why do you stable your horse in winter?

• Total voters

Greylegs

Visit site
Several reasons ...

...because he gets cold and wet otherwise
...because yard won't let me leave him out, so no choice in the matter
...because I hate hearing rain lashing at my window knowing my boy is standing outside in it while I'm all cosy inside
...because he actually seems to prefer being in (the wimpiest highland on earth!!)
...because it gives his rugs chance to dry out

All in all - a better alternative to leaving him outside.

LegOn

Visit site
Because if you attempt to leave him out, especially at night when its wet & cold - he jumps the 6 bar gate to come in!

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
I don't have a one size fits all solution! Currently adjusting fields ready for winter and will be leaving out for as long as possible as I'm allergic to hard work, but then it's my yard so I can do as I like, as well as having to do it all myself and having seven horses in will be quite hard work if and when I have to get them all in.

PolarSkye

Visit site
Because he paces/walks/trots/gallops the fence line to come in . . . I'd love to leave him out, but he won't have it.

P

3Beasties

Visit site
Mainly to preserve the grazing but there is also an element of giving them a break from the bad weather and keeping them cleaner to ride. It also means that I can monitor what they are eating more easily and make sure the poor doer has the opportunity to fill himself with hay.

Saying that, if I had more land I would leave them out apart from during the very worst weather or if I am at a comp the next day!

wiglet

Visit site
Lots of reasons -
Yard rules, no grass in fields so prefers to be in eating hay, chance to bring in and dry off legs properly, dry rugs off and also if it's hissing down and blowing a gale... it makes me feel better :D

LeannePip

Visit site
Yard rules, everything comes in at night for the winter.

when i wasnt on a yard where these were the rules, mine lived out over night but she never looked very happy and couldnt wait to come in in the morning where as in the summer shes quite happy to stay out so i think even given the choice i'd keep her in at night!

soulfull

Visit site
Like most. Several reasons
Fields would be trashed
Horse seems to like it
No shelter in field
All other horses come in
It is nice to put them to bed

rara007

Visit site
London clay and preserving our hay and driving fields ends up about an acre a pony = dire state by mid winter. They stay out 24/7 untill it gets boggy, then in at either night or day for most of the winter coming down to 1/2 a day out when they get miserable being out.
Fields doing well so far ;)

Lanky Loll

Visit site
Because:

Ground is on clay and becomes a bog
Because she's at the door of the barn kicking it to come in at lunchtime (year round not just in winter)
Because she's a TB & feels the cold
Because without hard feed in winter she loses too much condition and I don't like feeding in the field with others out

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I ticked "horse prefers" but there are many other reasons why they come in: state of fields; better control of feeding; easier to keep fit/clean for riding. Certainly not for any warm fuzziness on my part - it's bl00dy hard work!

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Yard rules. Mine prefer being out and the gelding suffers from oedema, respiratory problems and arthritis so stabling will be a nightmare this winter. I may have to rent a neighbours field to supplement the livery`s turnout.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
If I had enough land of my own, shelters in fields, and a horse that didn't hate the wind & rain, then I'd definitely strongly consider having my horse live out all year round.

However, our yard rules are in at night from October to May; we don't have huge paddocks so they would be trashed and nothing to eat; there is no shelter in any of the paddocks; and my horse absolutely detests being out in the wind & rain. So I stable. Yesterday I brought my horse in at 2pm; he came in sideways and was trembling when he got back to the yard (not from cold, but from being out in such horrible weather).

Asha

Visit site
Mine will come in a night over the winter, and if it's anything like last year they will have a few duvet days too.

Even though they have plenty of grass they tend to churn up the fence line/gates etc and stand in the mud. Some of them just don't want to be out when it's bad. After a couple of hours out, they are waiting to come back in.

skint1

Visit site
I stable mine at night or several reasons, all of which have been previously covered by other posters :)

NellRosk

Visit site
If I could find a yard near me which provided large fields with shelter and extra forage provided I would be there in a heartbeat as I HATE my horses coming in at night. Unfortunately that yard doesn't exist :(

JFTDWS

Visit site
"Have you seen the state of my fields" [in deepest darkest winter] with a side helping of secret option 11: "Little git thinks he's houdini"...

Nannon

Visit site
My ex racer likes to come in - he's in during the day when I have the time! Also my yard doesn't have lots of grass and he's a bit of a poor doer so it allows me to get hay and stuff into him, he doesn't like rain and mud and just stands looking miserable if I leave him out in it. Maybe it's just me being soft with him - the welsh pony and the 3yo at my mum and dads very rarely come in unless it's torrential and freezing!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
How many can I tick? :biggrin3:

Yes to: because I can, have you seen the state of my fields (if its wet for long periods) and none of your business :p

But also: its far easier on work mornings to muck out the boxes & chuck them out for the day, than trail around in the pitch dark in grotty weather :)
They often spend nights out tho in winter - when I am not working the next day, as they have shelters to use.
I usually drag them in, in around mid November, possibly later all weather dependant (for me, not them!)

Caveat: I dont EVER bring them in in high winds tho, as I have tall oaks behind the yard.

Annagain

Visit site
I went for yard rules - but only have to stable overnight from about end Nov - end April. I wouldn't go anywhere where they couldn't get out everyday as I don't always have time to ride in the evening.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Because if you attempt to leave him out, especially at night when its wet & cold - he jumps the 6 bar gate to come in!

^^^^^ This for me too. In bad weather he is ready to come in after 4 hours. He is also thin skinned and loses weight in the cold even in a stable and well rugged.