Why does he do this???

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
The Mini Shitland, ShitPig (yes, that IS his name), is a pain in the arse. He bites, constantly. It's generally not aggressive...he's not a savage, it's as though he enjoys it.
Now, in fairness, I bought him for this very reason....went to see a Herd of Shetties and figured this guy was least likely to find a home of the lot due to his "attitude ". We have had him 2 years and love him to pieces but there are times when the biting drives me crackers. Tried smacking him ( my least favourite option as he still bites but is a bit head shy), ignoring him, shouting, being calm etc. None if it makes the vlidest bit of difference. He likes being around people and he is most definitely not a spoilt brat in anyway. I love playing with him and fussing him, he seems to like it too but then he will just suddenly bite (it appears to come from nowhere, we haven't established a trigger). The behaviour does not threaten his place with us, he's going nowhere but it can be a bloody nuisance at times.
He's rising 11 and we know nothing of his life previous to him coming here.
Any thoughts/ideas/advice??
(Gratuitous pics as, despite everything, he is ?)20210130_154106_resize_92.jpg20210614_184927_resize_26.jpg20210614_185656_resize_20.jpg

meleeka

Visit site
Is he gelded? Mine was absolutely savage when he was still a colt and it took a long time for it to stop. He will still have the odd nip with unsuspecting people, but I think it’s play (obviously not ok tbough). I’ve noticed when he plays with my gelding he’s very bitey. Tbe game either consists of him biting the backs of the geldings knees or trying to hang off his beard ?. Does yours have others play with? Mine is 12 now and still as playful as he was when a baby.

I also Never give any treats by hand. He knows my hands are for scratches only and not food which makes him a much nicer person.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Yes, sorry, I should have said he is gelded, was done as a youngster according to passport. Never fed hand treats either. It's not so much hands that he bites, it's what ever part of your anatomy he can get hold of!! He does play like yours with the bigger boys, maybe he thinks we are all part of his "game"?? He loves playing the bitey face game with my younger gelding and bites his knee caps ??

Michen

Visit site
I have no suggestions as any bitey behaviour usually results in an elbow in their gob from me or a firm smack across the muzzle.

Yet my gelding (cut late) still sometimes give me a good grab- never leaves a mark or flicks an ear back when he does it. Nearly always when I’m doing in hand poles etc and he’s bored.

Peglo

Visit site
My girls field mate was/is like this. He loves attention but out of no where nips. It’s also not malicious in any way but bloody annoying. And seems like he does it on purpose to get a reaction. I read to put something metal in their mouth when they go to do it as it feels horrible but that’s easier said than done when it comes out of nowhere.

the white creature is 25 now and has grown out of it mostly…. Still wouldn’t trust him though. So sorry no advice other than in 10-15 years things might get better ?

ETA a smack did nothing to stop his behaviour either other than he’d race backwards before I even got turned around to confront him. ?

pistolpete

Visit site
Change his name to SP to start with! If you called me Shitpig I’d bite you too! Joking apart try using a glove on a stick and when he bites ignore it. When he resists temptation to bite throw a treat to him in the floor. Hand feeding would be daft. Maybe have a wide trug on the floor and throw small amount of lo cal chaff or grass nuts each time he resists biting. Slow process as he probably does it for the reaction. It’s a game to him.

stangs

Visit site
I find just snapping my fingers 'snaps' a biter out of it in the moment without encouraging any headshyness. But, of course, just a temporary solution and not ideal either. It really comes down to why they're doing it.

tristar

Visit site
we have one who comes out in the morning bit like a croc, so one morning i was leading to the field when he snapped so i said NO loudly and turned around and put him back in stable, then went back to try again, when he went to bite, i yelled NO and he stopped and walked on nicely, and is much better now

poiuytrewq

Visit site
The fact his head collar says Shit pig just made my year…
God, no real idea. Biters are a pita. I hold up a metal curry strategically for my biter at work so she hits that instead of me, telling her off, smacking etc just has no effect, neither does biting a metal curry tbh but at least it doesn’t hurt me. Drives me nuts!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Honestly, don't all shitlands do this?

There was just such a character at the RDA centre that I used to volunteer at. He was angelic with his riders, but his leader's bum and legs were apparently fair game. Little toad.

I may have made sure that I got assigned another horse and rider when the shitland was being used.

couerlie

New User
Visit site
Maybe try not playing as rough with him anymore and walking away completely whenever he bites or nips you? Since he likes being around people, he should learn pretty fast.

Much luck to you both! He's got a lovely little face x

asmp

Visit site
Love the 2nd pic!

Someone once said at a demonstration about horse problems to have a small tin with marbles in it to rattle whenever the horse goes to bite. Probably not much use telling you that if you don’t know when he’s going to do it.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I half think with the play biting ones that hitting/tapping their nose, or making any kind of aversive noise or squeaking cos it bloody hurt, actually encourages them, like you're joining in the bite face game. And if you hit them any harder then it just makes them bite but pull their head away quick (and those bites will hurt more!). I think ignoring and just not engaging with it at all might be the best option. A muzzle, as Fuzzy says, so he can nip away but you can just not react at all.

Little Shitpig. ?

Sossigpoker

Visit site
I wonder if you're inadvertently doing something he takes offence to when you fuss and play with him and he bites as a way of putting you back in your place?

I would do ground work with a horse or pony like this and work on establishing boundaries of personal space. A horse or pony that bites would never be allowed in my space uninvited.

meleeka

Visit site
I have absolutely no advice but he is totally adorable, and I think you could not help but love him whatever he does.

I opened this thread because I hoped it would reinforce my vow - 'I will NOT buy Shetlands, it is a BAD idea'. It would have worked if you had not put the photos!

Everyone should own a Shetland (obviously you need to have the correct set up, like a mains electric fence ?)
Mine makes me smile every day. He also gets away with murder with the big horses, so they must really like him too.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Everyone should own a Shetland (obviously you need to have the correct set up, like a mains electric fence ?)
Mine makes me smile every day. He also gets away with murder with the big horses, so they must really like him too.
Agree! Mine never ever bites or kicks either. He has issues with size perception and will try and take a whole hand instead of a tiny treat (wishful thinking?)
Can honestly say In about 12 years I’ve never seen him put his ears back or pull a face even.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Thanks for all of the replies :)
We have tried most of the above but just to answer a few bits:
* Never thought of using a rig calm supplement, this is an idea we cam have a go at
* He really doesn't need groundwork, he does all that's asked of him to be fair
* Currently buying a muzzle for the occasions his biting is a real nuisance
* I am already considering driving him, something I've always wanted to do so may get to this in the summer
* I don't hand feed him, never have and don't play rough games
* He bloody well EARNED the name ShitPig ?? He had a different name when he arrived but I'm buggered if I can remember what it was

After reading all of the replies here I'm convinced it's just a game, he does LOVE a reaction so I guess ignoring him will be the best option. He is well loved despite being a ShitPig ??

Birker2020

Visit site
Monty Roberts swears by making yourself large by bringing your arms up wards and leaning in.

I had all this biting and nipping with new boy but he rarely nips now, or even grabs my coat.

The one day it just clicked in his brain when he went to pull at my coat with his teeth after just having my finger in his nose as he'd just bitten me and I he went to do it again and then thought better of it.

You could almost see the cogs in his brain working and he decided not to pull on my coat was the better option. As soon as he changed his mind I rewarded him. And this is basically how he's learnt to stop pulling on my coat and nipping me, reward by leaving me alone.

Its not very often he tries it now. But if he does he gets a finger in his nostril and a gruff voice.