Why does my mare wee when she sees me in the morning?

Ali27

Visit site
My mare has an annoying habit of weeing in her stable as soon as I open the barn door! Our other mare doesn't!
Anyone else have a horse that does this? Any ideas why she does it?
I so wish she could hang on a few minutes until she gets in the field!

Last edited:

Starbucks

Visit site
Haha, Badger does this pretty much every time I go to the yard!! Not sure why he does it – maybe excitement because he knows he’s getting his breakfast/going out or whatever. He’s quite a routine kind of guy.

MileAMinute

Visit site
Could she just be a tad over excited to see you?? Kind of like a little puppy?

Don't complain, my lad just looks up, sighs, and continues to eat his hay. Nothing like a bond between horse and owner, is there? :rolleyes:

Ali27

Visit site
Guess she could be excited to see me! I am the first one down the yard in the morning at 6am so she knows that it will be! Just wish she wouldn't as would save on bedding! I didn't notice her doing it at last yard last winter! Silly girl! She always wees when she comes in and I am trying to catch it in a bucket!

fallenangel123

Visit site
My mare does this too, how weird? She always has to pee before I catch her in too, if you don't let her you can't catch her, soon as she has been she comes over. I figure it makes up for the morning one!

chickeninabun

www.wix.com
There is a gelding on my yard who does this when I get there in a morning (not mine but I feed and turn him out). I figured it was just because he had just woken up. Bit like us, most people need a pee first thing in the morning!:eek:

Fransurrey

Visit site
Yep, I call them excitement wees. Both of mine do it and sometimes even take long enough that I can get to the feed room without being mobbed!!

Think about when you're excited/nervous. Any state of arousal will make you want to wee. ;)

Angua2

Visit site
either that or they all find you lot so hilarious they wet themselves laughing......!!!!!!:D:D:p:p;)

Possibly.... My mare does this, and I always think of them as "preparation wees"... or the "oh god we are going to do something, better go before we start"

Natch

Visit site
The gelding I used to loan peed when you were making his dinner - I'm sure he thought he had learnt that weeing = dinner coming faster. Really annoying, because it was on concrete and not in an easy place to wash down! :rolleyes:

finkle

Visit site
My 'oldie' girl does this...guaranteed on arrival first thing in the morn. It is such a large amount that she passes, I felt that she had held it in all night!! You would have to be very quick to get to her and lead her out to her paddock. It is literally as soon as she sees you pull up. I 'dream' of catching it in a bucket..would save loads on bedding.

MileAMinute

Visit site
Actually, looking back on this thread, could it be 'nervous' weeing? Not in the sense she's scared, but a mare I know 'nervous yawns' in the morning prior to being turned out.

Nah, I actually prefer the being excited to see you, other theory is prob just my copious amount of jealousy shining through ;)

jumpingjoy

Visit site
my boy does this i think it is just a morning wee like ourselfs. he also does it when he comes in on a night when im in tack room getting his tea i hide round the door and rush in with a bucket to catch it . helps save on bedding they all laugh at me on yard but his bed lasts that bit longer :)

speedbird

Visit site
mine does it as well but only because he knows he going to be fed ! he ll do it as soon as he see s me in the morning(before breakfast) and before evening feed when he hears the feed bins. i keep a bucket in the stable and catch it !

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Getting ready for action. Better have a wee first. A bit like us. Most people visit the loo before embarking on a journey, going to the gym, going riding, going out for a meal etc. I think it's the same for horses.

MochaDun

Visit site
My gelding does one once I arrive on the yard in the morning, he has his head over the door, sees me pull up at yard gate and drive in, his head disappears and by the time I've walked to the stable door he's spreadeagled at the back of the stable weeing! He also does a "oh bye you're off then" poo every evening when I'm about to go...I then have to remove it as can't bear seeing it in a stable that I've just mucked out! Deeply flattering :D

The_snoopster

Visit site
My mare as always pee,d as soon as she sees me getting into the field, it would be nice if she was excited to see me but I have a feeling it is the bucket which is her first and only love.:p

EstherYoung

Visit site
Harry does this. Meanders across the field to see you and then stops half way for a wee. He only does it for special people, though - you're very honoured if you get one of his 'hello' wees.

Ladyinred

Visit site
My mare does this too, how weird? She always has to pee before I catch her in too, if you don't let her you can't catch her, soon as she has been she comes over. I figure it makes up for the morning one!

Both my girls wee in the morning when they see me and also before we bring them in at night. Just taken five barrows of wet straw out of one of them.. and that's since Sunday only!!