why doesnt my horse stick up for himself?

spooks

Visit site
previous to moving to the current yard my boy was in a field with just our 13.2 mare and he gave her hell !! he is now in a field with 5 other geldings (been there approx 2 months now) and from day one the boss pony ( a 14HH cob) took a dislike to him and chases him round the field on a regular basis, not that he has ever caught him or got anywhere near for that matter, watching them today otto almosts take the pee when toby chases him,he canters off then when toby gets close enough otto ups the speed ! he even goes back to the herd after the chase whereas before he would stand on his own. otto bosses the other geldings about with face pulling and nipping etc,today they were all playfighting for a good 20 minutes while toby just fed his face about 20 feet away then he decided it was time for otto to go for a gallop round the field! toby only has to pull a face at otto and hes off! why is he such a wimp and what is it about this particular pony that scares him?more to the point why does toby seem to dislike him so much? there is no kicking/real nastiness etc just face pulling and chasing him away from the group. toby is pretty much the leader but i have on many occasions seen the arab tell him to bugger off when toby has had a go at him! honestly otto is such a girl sometimes! we just sat laughing at him this morning

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Amymay was top dog before she moved yards.

Now she is bottom of the pile. That's the way it goes usually when a new horse is put in with an established group.

Capriole

Visit site
ive just moved yards and my boy is taking a bit of a pasting of one gelding.

ive had to put a canvas rug on him for some protection as he had a flesh wound the other day, i wish hed just batter the thing!

im sure it will work out ok before long its just hard to see your horse being picked on isnt it
smile.gif

spooks

Visit site
jessica thats exactly what i say to otto 'why dont you just double barrel him' lol, he obviously prefers to run round the field like a loony...keeps him fit i suppose!

CJ1

Visit site
My boy has got chased out the field on 2 occassions now by the same horse. First time he got stuck on the 5ft metal gate and took some sever bites on his rump, the 2nd time thankfully the gate came down as he clipped it.

He is such a wimp he wont even attempt to bite or kick another horse, he just runs away and wants out the field any which way he can. He has no problems with the other 5 horses, just this one gelding who is obvsly the top boy. If only he would stand his ground and not be intimidated!!

Trying soon to have them on their own together to sort out their problems...thankfully the other horse isnt shod at the moment, but its teeth are evil. Am def keeping the rug on.

Honeyb060674

Visit site
Sometimes I think its better they don't! Honey usually just flashes one of her stares, but as shes in the oldies field I don't have a problem. Shes great with other horses but if they start on her she WON'T back down. Twice we have had to throw ourselves between her and another as they stood back to back beating ten bells of wotsit out of each other. One occasion was a 15.2 draught type with feet like dinner plates....little Honeys only 14.1 with wee arab legs!
shocked.gif