Why doesn't stuff fit properly?!

Esyllt

Visit site
Evening all, this is long, but much needed, and a form of theraputic release, please bear with me!
I have had enough. Me and Coblet must be freaks of nature... nothing seems to fit right! For instance, my riding hat; had a Champion hat fitted (pre-covid) size up from my usual, couldn't get my normal size on, was told it's a great fit. A few weeks of wear, it slips over my eyes! Gave in, bought my usual Charles Owen jockey skull, usual size, ticks all the boxes for fit, but gives me horrendous hat headaches, even though it has had loads of time to "bed in". Then, there's the matter of the saddle... 2 fitters, both agree it is best fit for her, one recommended a humane girth, the other a double elastic contoured girth, both of the opinion that their choice of girth would be best for her forward girth groove. I bought both. Saddle always seems to slip ever so slightly sideways, so I feel like I'm constantly righting it, and neither girth seems to sit right with her girth groove. Tempted to get a bareback pad and be done with it! Finally, trying to find a 5.25" bit with a mouthpiece she's happy with in her low palate, fat tounged mouth is another pain! Seriously toying with bit less...
This is more of a rant to get this off my chest to people who understand (non-horsey husband just rolls his eyes at me). Feel free to join in or share your solutions!...

Roxylola

Visit site
Oh and "cob size" is anything but appropriate for cobs ? I'd love to find some suitable boots for xc for supercob but they're all too long and not wide enough. Bridles are similar. Hed fit a cob better length wise but cob nosebands won't go round his nose.
He shoves his saddle slightly right, I thought it was me but I've ridden others and don't do it but I'm _slightly_ one sided enough to allow him to shift me rather than me influence him to straight.
And most of my pants sort of wriggle their way down, nothing big enough to go over my thighs fits close enough round my waist.
I could go on, but essentially I feel your pain

Esyllt

Visit site
Oh and "cob size" is anything but appropriate for cobs ? I'd love to find some suitable boots for xc for supercob but they're all too long and not wide enough. Bridles are similar. Hed fit a cob better length wise but cob nosebands won't go round his nose.
He shoves his saddle slightly right, I thought it was me but I've ridden others and don't do it but I'm _slightly_ one sided enough to allow him to shift me rather than me influence him to straight.
And most of my pants sort of wriggle their way down, nothing big enough to go over my thighs fits close enough round my waist.
I could go on, but essentially I feel your pain
Oh yes, the pain of generic sizing, be it equine or human... It's so frustrating! Like you said, I could go on, the list seems endless...

Pippity

Visit site

I wish they'd call things small, medium and large, rather than pretending they're designed for cobs. Blue's bridle is a mixture of full (headpiece), cob (cheekpieces), and extra-full (browband and noseband).

I've found brushing boots to fit - WoofWear do their medium in a wide - but I'm not sure if they do other types of boot.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
What can I list?
I also need a 5.25” bit.
Long boots are too long in the leg and too narrow in the foot. I could, if I could get my foot inside, audition for Dick Whittington.
Jackets are too long, both neck to waist and waist to hem.
Bridles always have to be mix and match or altered.
Nosebands on head collars are too short, head straps too long.
Leggings, breeches and joddies are all too short waist to crotch and the waist measurement I need always means the calf size is huge. There used to be a size called ‘maids’ which was great.
Numnahs are never long enough on the spine nor wide enough under the seat.
Apart from Horseware Wugs, the neck curve on rugs is wrong for an average horse.
The strap on a grooming brush is always too long and my hand slips out.
I daresay there are more but that’s enough for the moment.

McFluff

Visit site
Totally feel your pain.
Brands that change the fit of the model (usually saying it’s improved) - which invariably doesn’t fit as well anymore - hats and boots are common victims
To get trousers that fit my hips I have to use a belt or they drop down.
Tops never fit me properly.
My horses bridle has cob, full and extra full pieces to get the best fit (are there really horses that can Wear a cob size browband?).
Saddle fitting is a black art - and if you find one of those rare people that can really do it, look after them!

Bit wise, I had success with the myler low port comfort snaffle in a cob with similar sounding mouth.

Bonnie Allie

Visit site
Showing my age as well I as my preferences for locally made and quality craftsmanship.

The challenge is that so much manufacturing is offshore and we have become addicted to low purchase price. As a society we are less concerned about fit as we will just buy another one if we don’t like or it doesn’t fit.

I still check where goods are manufactured and have had to remove some of my favourite brands like Ariat from my wardrobe, as they are mass produced offshore, have dropped in quality and fit but the price is the same.

Through COVID I have been supporting my local saddlers (who are ancient) having bridles made to measure and leather head collars made. Eye wateringly expensive but these goods will outlast myself and the horses. They fit!

Breeches - I emailed an online local manufacturer stating my preferences for high waisted, cool, quality fabric, no silicon seat for a pear shape and they let me know of the 10 styles they had only one would suit my needs. They are the perfect fit.

EllenJay

Visit site
Feel your pain. My old Welshie, his bridle was full for browband and noseband, but cheek pieces were cob size. So could never buy an off the counter sexy bridle - it always had to be made up of psrts,.
Current horse 6'6 rugs are too small 6'9 are too big.
One day I will have a "standard" horse
The only anomaly to all this was the thermatex rug I brought back 20 years ago - it fitted every horse it was put on, from one that took 5'9 rugs to the current horse. It's like magic

rextherobber

Visit site
Springer and Bombers both do 5.25 bits, i have the Sprenger turnado and the Bombers Happy Tongue. Stubben Trevira girth suits my horse with a forward girth groove. One of my horses is so oddly shaped I have to buy a full size bridle, then add an XL browband, pony cheek pieces, and XL reins. And the 5.25 bit, of course!