Why don't people learn?

k9h

Visit site
Again a poor dog has died in a car at a...

DOG SHOW of all places at Blackpool.

They should know better!

Sooo annoyed. It they had been called over the tanoy 3 times. Why the windows were not smashed sooner I do not know. I wouldn't of hesitated!

I have to go work at this show tomorrow but am leaving my dog at home for the safety & sanity of my dog/me for the day.

Sorry really ticked off poor dog

RIP

Oneofthepack

Visit site
Makes me so mad
mad.gif
What's wrong with people! Have they never returned to a car on a moderately warm day to find it unbelievavbly hot when they get in???
mad.gif
mad.gif
Like you I'd have no hesitation in smashing the car window myself

Ravenwood

Visit site
How awful - especially at a dog show where you would have thought the owners were a bit more educated
frown.gif

Doesn't bare thinking of the suffering the poor thing endured before it died
frown.gif

GinaB

Visit site
shocked.gif
Poor dog
frown.gif

At Ballywalter game fair in May (its a BASC one) the weather was like it is at the min, really, really hot and someone left a St Bernard in their car. They were called over the tannoy, never came to the car so my friend who was doing security somehow managed to squeeze her arm in the tiny gap in the window and pull up the lock to unlock the car and set the dog free. When the owner finally did comeback, they took his details, reported him and kicked him off the grounds.

k9h

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
How awful - especially at a dog show where you would have thought the owners were a bit more educated
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the worst bit almost. They were showing/breeders. Just unbelievable.

[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't bare thinking of the suffering the poor thing endured before it died
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I just hope it passed out quickly.

I got in my car at lunch & the heat was unbareable (note dog was at home in cold house) I was heading back to let her out.

When I walk them out in this weather the old dog pants really quickly so I dunk them in the village fountain before setting off so they are covered in cold water & she is so much happier & enjoys it, than if not dunked.

Yes I may just get a little satisfaction from dunking her in the fountain & making her do one lap first but hey!...
wink.gif
tongue.gif

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Sadly I think some exhibitors can be the worst offenders . I have been at many an all breeds show where there were tannoy announcements about dogs in cars. Sticking my neck out a bit, some show dogs do not have the best of home lives imho so it is not totally surprising that their owners don't have their best interests at heart at shows either.
frown.gif

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Happened at a show when I was younger, about fifteen years ago, owner went to clubhouse for a few pints after his dog went BoB.
Poor thing had ripped all his claws out trying to escape.

Goya

Visit site
Absolutely awful. I hope the owner is prosecuted. Should be shut in a hot car themselves for hours with the windows locked IMO.
I do a lot of flyball. I always take the dogs cages and a cover for shade.
there is also always loads of paddling pools full of water for the dogs to cool down in.

CAYLA

Visit site
My god, these people need to be locked in a car in the boiling sun to die of heat exhaustion, or maybe kicked to death
mad.gif

I cannot think how this must feel to die in this way
frown.gif
, when I was on holiday and rental car we had was boiling each time we got into it, I felt ill few the few seconds it took for the air con to kick in, I kept saying to OH, it terrifies me that dogs literally die like this, it must be unbearable
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

jasmine

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Sadly I think some exhibitors can be the worst offenders . I have been at many an all breeds show where there were tannoy announcements about dogs in cars. Sticking my neck out a bit, some show dogs do not have the best of home lives imho so it is not totally surprising that their owners don't have their best interests at heart at shows either.
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I too was showing at Blackpool today, please dont tar us all with the same brush...the majority of us do have our dogs best interests at heart.

CAYLA

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I too was showing at Blackpool today, please dont tar us all with the same brush...the majority of us do have our dogs best interests at heart.

[/ QUOTE ]

The words SOME and ALL spring to mind
smirk.gif

The difference, MM used one and u used the other, I understood MM perfectly and I did not come to the same conclusion u did
smile.gif
tongue.gif

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Thank you Cala glad you understood what I was saying. Jasmine, I am not tarring all exhibitors with the same brush, I used to be one myself and have many good friends who still show!

FestiveSpirit

Visit site
It amazes me on two counts - (1) that the STUPID bloody exhibitor could leave the dog in the car in the first place and (2) why the hell did they not smash the window and get the dog out
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Anyone know the regulations about smashing windows please?

It happens all the time at dog shows, mum has said she regularly hears tannoy announcements at the big CH shows all through the summer
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

k9h

Visit site
I gather they announced the number plates for people to go to their cars as dogs in distress. Then annoinced they would be smashing the windows, still no return.

There was a van with dalmations in with the windows not even cracked open a little.

The dog that sadly passed away was a doberman.

Sadly they waited to long to smash the windows.
I don'tknow if they have to get a police officer to do the actual smashing though?

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
It's shocking, I hate leaving Otto in the car for a couple of minutes on a cool day, I can't understand how they can do it! Especially at somewhere for dogs!
mad.gif

I was at a Game Fair once and they annouced it over the tannoy, at the same time there was a demonstration of Chainsaw Sculpture and once the announcement had finished, the bloke on the mic for the Chainsaw Display said that if whoever owned the car didn't hurry up they would find out what chainsaws can do to cars.

KarynK

Visit site
What they need to do is to make it a condition of entry to the show ground that any dog found in a car in distress, the windows will be broken with NO recourse that way the owners would have no comeback whatsoever and the dog would not be in a hot car long, s*d giving an announcement, get the dog out!!!

The show should also be sure to provide sufficient benches for all dogs attending so there is no excuse for leaving an unattended dog in a car.

There is no excuse especially when for a little expense you can cover the car and get the guards that allow you to leave the windows and tailgate wide open IF you need to leave a dog for a SHORT period.

The KC should also take action against these people and give them a ban too!!!! It's disgusting.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I have been to breed shows where it states in the catalogue than anyone found leaving a dog in a car in hot weather will be asked to leave the show and their entries will not be accepted for future shows. Perhaps more clubs should adopt this.

Tiffany

Visit site
People never cease to amaze me with their empty heads
frown.gif
There was a dog left in a car at Cheshire show on Tuesday and it was so hot
frown.gif
They called over the public address system with REG No. of car and after a couple of call announced that the Police and RSPCA were at the car and would break a window to get the distressed dog out. Not sure what happened but at least dog would have been rescued.