Why don't SJers use myler combos?

Irishcobs

Visit site
As title says. I'm watching hickstead (recorded from early) and not one horse, that I've seen so far, had has a myler combo. They may be the odd myler snaffle but no combo. Is it a eventing bit or is it that because a hackamore can be used and a hackamore/snaffle combo that myler combos aren't needed?

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
Geoff used the combo on Pjort in the big classes at Western Lawns over the last few days and he said he went brilliantly in it, not snatching at the bit when going around corners like he usually does so I think he may try the combo on a few of his other horses.

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
some showjumpers do infact about 2 years ago they were all the fashion!

I tried one with Dan but it just wasn't for him as I lost my steering big styley it may be other riders find this! At the end of the day everyone uses what suits their horse and although mylers are popular they are not 'that' popular at top level sj
wink.gif

dieseldog

Visit site
As Santa says about 2 years ago you wouldn't see a SJ without a myler, A lot of people are still using them but have the rawhide bit covered in sheepskin, so it doesn't automatically look like one. I use one, but I don't jump that big.

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
sort of PF. It has a curb/shank action but has a rope noseband that although similar in action to a hackamore tightens in addition to applying pressure as the shanks are pulled because of how the rope is threaded. Also the surface area of the rope is very small so producing a very defined area of pressure rather that more spread with either a german or english hackamore.

Benefits depend on the horse, some react very well to the nasal/curb pressure and become lighter and much improved brakes/steering others though go completly out the window!!

dieseldog

Visit site
With mine he was just a bit too rude in a snaffle, and it was hard to shorten him. But any other bit I tried him in was too strong, even a 3 ring on the top ring. Tried a Myler and its perfect (at the moment), they aren't that strong, well the one I use isnt, but you can get all different types of mouth pieces with different length shanks