Why have horses when you clearly can't be bothered?!?

Fransurrey

Visit site
I went to see a field and shelter, yesterday, which is part of a group of fields owned by a lovely lady. Field itself was fine, but currently occupied by some horses as their field is being harrowed. They apparently officially moved off weeks ago, but were back for a couple of days for this reason. One horse was in a heavyweight rug in 20 something degrees. All 4 of them had horrendous feet - splaying, long cracks, last trimmed in 2009 type thing. Then there was the shelter. Inside I was shocked to see large piles of manure, which had been there for some time. All winter and longer. I'd even wager it had never been mucked out for the whole rental period, however long that was. Water trough had never been cleaned - years of grime, despite running water next to it (tap).

In the next field I was pleased to see that there was a pony, so in theory, company for my two. The lady I was with was concerned, as she said there should be two, so we went looking (it's also her land). We found the second inside the shelter and I am going to phone the lady back today before I report this pony, as I was so shocked. The pony was covered in crusty skin and was about 60% bald. Didn't look like sweet itch, more like mange or untreated lice. I'd never seen anything like it. The lady was also shocked and what was worrying was that these two ponies didn't get up when we approached, even when we bent over them. One did get up later, but didn't walk anywhere and neither were restricted on about 4 acres (the bigger one was about 11hh, the bald one a miniature). Due to going off to my own ponies, I was reluctant to touch them or get too close (I did feel awful, but I can't risk it). These two were a different owner to the other group of 4 and again, feet were awful, like years of neglect awful. The lady said she's had concerns before and has spoken to the owner on the phone. She's now putting in writing her concerns and mentioned that the lease was due to expire soon.

I just couldn't believe that there was so much neglect in one place, with more than one owner. The field itself was great, but there is no way I can be neighbour to that (the 4 horses will move very nearby) and I'll be telling the land owner that. I've been there before and ended up with things being stolen and when they were reported, my water trough was tipped over in a petty bid for revenge.

I haven't taken pictures of the pony, yet, but am thinking of going back after speaking to the land owner, later, so I can email pics to the welfare authorities. I just don't understand. Why have them at all?!?

Whisp

Visit site
Very sad but unfortunately, with the economic climate in the state it is in, proving far more prevalent than it used to be :(

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Some people seem to think that grass livery=horses can cope on their own and be left for however long. Surely they still need checking daily? :(

Vinney

Visit site
Poor ponies. Why didnt the owner of the field report this neglect. Is it a case of just take the money and dont take any responsibility for anything. Does'nt sound like a nice lady to me. If I were renting this land and shelter out I would be checking what was going on. Glad you seem to be a responsible owner and will be reporting to the welfare authorities. I know it is a sign of the times but these are animals that deserve to be treated with respect. Surely the owner of the field and shelter should have checked that the people renting it out were keeping it clean and respecting their property.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
I don't understand either.

I've been shocked by the number of yard owners who fail to insist that owners check their horses once a day when out 24/7.

Why aren't council animal welfare officers doing anything ?

mandwhy

Visit site
How awful, poor animals, yes I think some pictures might be useful if you can take some discreetly, and report them ASAP! Could the pony have had rainscald?

Once a day is a minimum for most people (twice for most on here!), maybe they think its like 'in the wild' eurgh. Leaving a HW rug on the whole time is even worse as you don't even get the 'its more natural for them' excuse.

I wonder if the YO has been down to visit much? I guess if she doesn't keep horses there she will not go often but I hope she is as up for doing something a you are.

Vinney

Visit site
We have a few horses at our yard out 24/7 and the YO insists they are checked every day. I know for a fact that they check them themselves and if the owners are not complying get in touch with them and insist they sort it out. I feel very lucky to have found such caring YO's as they have helped owners in many situations and always put the horses first. Unfortunately there are just as many greedy yard and field owners as there are neglectful owners. Sad world we live in. Why do people think these beautiful animals are self sufficient when clearly they are not. They need to be checked for all sorts of things. Colic, overgrown hoofs, caught in fencing are just a few that come to mind. I watched an RSPCA programme on the TV the other day and the officer that came out to some horses that were tethered said that they cant do anything without proof of neglect. How much proof is needed. One of them had got an incorrectly fixed tether and as it walked round the tether got shorter and shorter. She just adjusted it and left the owner a note regarding correct tethering and would check again. A lot could have happened prior to the next check. I do wish the law would change and animals have more rights. I am just saddened daily by the amount of neglect and ill treatment animals have to endure.

oldie48

Visit site
Horse ownership is a huge responsibility which unfortunately some people don't appreciate. Some people rush into horse ownership before they have the knowledge, time and the money to do it properly and it's the horses that suffer. Sorry I know this will raise a few hackles but when I see ads offering old or injured horses for loan as companion horses it really worries me as I feel it's putting the responsibility onto someone else's shoulders. Also, breeding from poor quality mares because they can't be ridden because of injury, poor temperament etc makes me cross, the only reason for breeding should be because the mare has the potential to have a good quality foal that will find a good home. There are already too many poor quality horses and ponies on the market, they get sold for peanuts to unsuitable people and end up with miserable lives. End of rant!

Dizzle

Visit site
Some people seem to think that grass livery=horses can cope on their own and be left for however long. Surely they still need checking daily? :(

I have my pony on grass livery and she is checked twice a day between me and my field mate, when I had the TB on grass livery he was checked three times a day!

It's also in our livery agreement we have to check at least once a day.

I was shocked to see three horses in turnout rugs yesterday :(

Aarrghimpossiblepony

Visit site
More responsibility should be expected from landowners who take the money for the land though.

I ran up against this in the field I rented. Nothing as bad as this but getting the owner of the land to do something was impossible. The horse owners paid the money in advance and that was all that seemed to matter.

I moved, you just end up banging your head against a brick wall. As well as feeding them hay out of your own pocket when there's snow on the ground as a matter of course because you can't just leave them like that.

I can understand that some people renting fields don't know anything about horses, especially those who have "moved to the country" and think the land they own can earn a bit of money.
But it doesn't take much effort to include a clause in a rental agreement that ensures there's a minimum amount of checking/visiting.

MrsNorris

Visit site
Land owners can be held responsible for neglected animals on their land even if they don't own them. If you know they are there and that they are neglected and you do nothing, you can be held to account.

Aarrghimpossiblepony

Visit site
Land owners can be held responsible for neglected animals on their land even if they don't own them. If you know they are there and that they are neglected and you do nothing, you can be held to account.

Oh I warned the landowner about that.

But, it's that area where the neglect isn't bad enough to involve any agency yet it is neglect.
It could be solved if the horse owners were forced to take responsibility and visit regularly.

Of course it might well be that they won't and therefore would have to move to somewhere more expensive and checking was included and had to be paid for or sell.

Fransurrey

Visit site
Poor ponies. Why didnt the owner of the field report this neglect. Is it a case of just take the money and dont take any responsibility for anything. Does'nt sound like a nice lady to me. If I were renting this land and shelter out I would be checking what was going on. Glad you seem to be a responsible owner and will be reporting to the welfare authorities. I know it is a sign of the times but these are animals that deserve to be treated with respect. Surely the owner of the field and shelter should have checked that the people renting it out were keeping it clean and respecting their property.

The owner doesn't live locally and apparently has phoned these owners more than once about their horses. The owner of the bald one she said was abusive when the lady insisted she needs to restrict the ponies - she hadn't seen the baldness before, but I don't know how often she goes down there. She said she was going to phone them yesterday after I'd left, which is why I'm going to speak to her first, before reporting. This is another reason I won't be taking it on (unless they leave). The people I reported years ago were also abusive, even though the second time it wasn't me who'd reported them - in this case the fields are far away from the road, so I'd be number one suspect, regardless! The lady has checked the fencing, but not inside the shelters (you can't see the piles of manure from a distance). We didn't go into it in detail, yesterday, but as I say, she mentioned the lease being due to expire and I think she said she's already reported them once. I wonder if she's worried, because her address is on the contract and I don't know HOW abusive they have been.

noodle_

Visit site
agree with those on the first page (as i didnt read the 2nd)!!

i had mine living out and they were checked by me twice a day - and by others twice a day too (as they had to walk past mine to get theirs in...)

many times i had phone calls saying my little un (youngster) had escaped out of one of my fields into my other....i generally said leave her as she was a brat, but at least i was informed - ad that was a gap of 4/5 hours - not 4/5 days.... id never not check on my horse :( its so sad :(

Fransurrey

Visit site
Could the pony have had rainscald?
I dealt with rainscald on my shetland when I first got him and this is far, far worse and in areas not characteristic of scald. Under the belly, both sides of the face, the rump, some of the legs... Not weeping sores (and the dock, although bald, wasn't lumpy like a rubbing case), but the skin is cracked where it is bald. I really wanted to examine him closely, but as I say, I was worried for my own - my mare has sweet itch as it is, so lice would be a disaster for me, as would mange! It very much reminded me of a dog we knew when I was a kid, who had fox mange.

I'll let you guys know what the owner of the land says, later, but she was pretty upset, so I think she will want to do something. Apparently the owner used to be 'quite good' but then had kids and left the ponies more and more. I don't think this lady knew just HOW much they'd been left to fend for themselves. I suppose I was more shocked that there was almost this 'consortium' of neglect!

ETA: Looked up mange and it certainly looks like it. Glad I didn't touch the poor thing, now, but the lady did!

Last edited:

Hedgewitch13

Visit site
And I bet the fields are wonderfully worm ridden... lovely :(

Poor ponies. I hope you do report them, something needs to be done.