why is horse racing not necciserily classed as an equestrian sport?

woodlandswow

Visit site
I was wondering this myself after having a discussion - we were talking about the disiplines at the World Games, after listing dressage, eventing showjumping vaulting, reining, driving etc, he asked why racing wasnt included and i said racing wasnt really an equestrian sport. to all the outsiders (ie my family!) this seemed crazy, but then i couldnt come up with an answer?

rockysmum

Visit site
Could it be because, for the most part, its not about partnerships like all other equestrian sport. Jockeys are hired to ride at a particular race, a horse might be ridden by someone different every time it comes out. I know this is not always the case and there are some great partnerships, but it isn't really the norm. But I suppose if you apply that criteria then motor racing isn't a sport either.

I have no idea, good questions :D

dressagelove

Visit site
Found this on yahoo....

The racing events were dropped from the ancient Olympics because they became too commercial, with the horses being bought and sold through dealers to wealthy patrons, and it became evident that the only thing that really determined who could win the event was who had the money to buy the best competitor and hire the best rider and trainer. Not exactly in keeping with the Olympics as a sacred festival.

I guess it's mostly based on money... Not saying the jockeys arent talented, but it's mostly the best horses that win isn't it...

Good question!

wtdnh131

Visit site
i know someone that betted on weather prince charles would fall asleep during the royal wedding (20-1) so its not that reason!! :p

its probably because its just so different, in dressage show jumping etc one rider rides the horses owned for them/ they on themselves, jockeys don't do that they pick up rides from their agent and everything is declared 2 days before the race, it is a sport no doubt about it its just different

Fantasy_World

Visit site
I guess it's mostly based on money... Not saying the jockeys arent talented, but it's mostly the best horses that win isn't it...

In many cases it is the horses that have been trained to fool the handicapper and other trainers alike with regard to their ability, preferred distance, grade and going. So I wouldn't say it is mostly the best horses that win.

Kat

Visit site
Is it because traditionally the Olympics were for amateur sports only? So until recently tennis wasn't included. It was also the reason torvill and dean didn't compete for several years etc etc

Tickles

Visit site
Could it be because, for the most part, its not about partnerships like all other equestrian sport. Jockeys are hired to ride at a particular race, a horse might be ridden by someone different every time it comes out. I know this is not always the case and there are some great partnerships, but it isn't really the norm. But I suppose if you apply that criteria then motor racing isn't a sport either.

I have no idea, good questions :D

In motor racing, cycling, sailing etc the competitors usually know their equipment very well so, not a 'partnership' (except with the engineers) as such, but certainly more familiarity than most jockeys. :)