Why is it so hard to buy a saddle

Syrah

Visit site
Gawd blimey, all I want to do is buy a new saddle for my neddy.

She's only 4 so I'm reluctant to spend shed loads on one when she'll probably change shape.

I've got a Bates Caprilli GP, but she isn't getting on with the Cair system anymore.

I don't like synthetic saddles and find them really uncomfortable.

Crewe Saddlery were about as much help as a hole in the head, I tried another localish saddle fitter just before I bought the Bates who cancelled 3 times and only bought a Wintec 16" which looked like a pea sat on her back. Village Saddlery have cancelled and can only come out on 4th April and have decided they can't fit my mare in with 2 others who are also being fitted.

She's 16.2/3hh, I would say an XW but needs longer flaps and finds a flocked saddle more comfortable. She needs a 17.5/18" although my bum will take a 17".

I can't find any second hand ones in her size.

Crewe only seem interested if I go for a brand new one at around £1k.

Arrrggghhhhh - any suggestions?

Syrah

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Have you tried saddles direct? You can try them before you buy!

[/ QUOTE ]

I have had a look and there are a couple on there that may be ok. I suppose I've got it fixed in my head that I need a saddle fitter to fit a saddle properly as she's young and I want to do the best for her back.

D

Donkeymad

Yes, you should. As a youngster whather saddle feels like know could affect her for many years. If it hurts her back now, she may take a long time to forget.

Coffee_Bean

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Saddles direct are good
smile.gif

Flame_

Visit site
Barbara Edgerton from Macclesfield Saddlery. They don't have a massive selection but she's very helpful and they sell second hand saddles. I've used the ones you've mentioned and IMO she's better than them. Only other suggestions, DIY saddle fit using Saddles Direct or move down South!!
grin.gif

Syrah

Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone.

And thanks KVS for the name, I never thought of Macclesfield Saddlery and I live 10 minutes away, lol.

I've also had a look at the WOW saddle online and I'm liking the adjustability of it, could be the answer as I've had a surprise bonus payment from work.

CBAnglo

Visit site
If you are looking for an adjustable saddle, have you considered a Saddle Company or Kieffer - the trees on both of these saddles can be adjusted. The SC is done on site by a fitter and the Kieffer can be done at the factory.

I have a SC for my youngster and because I fit them I dont have a problem with the fact that he still keeps growing (except of course that if he grows more than another 2 inches I am going to be seriously overhorsed!) Last summer he was going through an incredible growth spurt and was growing out then up, out then up so I had to widen and narrow, widen and narrow his saddle. He is also a roly poly horse and is prone to putting on too much weight in summer and then losing too much weight in winter, so I can easily adjust his saddle to cope with the fluctuations in his weight.

With my other horse, he was in very poor condition when I got him, so being able to adjust his saddle as his topline improved was a real benefit. He has moved up 2 sizes in the last 4 months already and just needs a little bit more to be perfect but I would never have been able to do that with a conventional saddle, including the horrible Stubben (previous owner's) that caused the muscle wastage to begin with!